What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

I brought my new to me '79 home this last week!

home 2.jpg

This Tuesday I drove my Rosso Arancio '82 X (BaT Lot #93606) from San Antonio to Houston, and the next day did my first fix/mod (thanks to this board): shimmed steering column rear bolts with 2 washers to raise wheel ~1/2", which now gives just enough space for my right hand to clear my thigh in right turns. Awesome!

To-Do list:
- install new shifter lollipop and hardware w/ missing spring washer.
- check brakes, flush/bleed
- fix bouncing/clicking speedo
- fix heat-bent tach needle, install LED dash lights
- blast and repaint Cromodoras, new tires (at the moment leading towards Hankook 175/70s $61 each from Walmart)
- get seats and visors recovered
- replace rubber weatherstripping around front trunk (covered with overspray from repaint) and driver's door opening (trashed).
- buff out swirl marks in paint
- remove bumpers (maybe)
- remove black vinyl side graphics (maybe)
- drive and enjoy with wife and 8yr old son!

Loving this forum already.

Image3860977120796663105.jpgImage1184642511894274053.jpgImage8095862043773685562.jpg

I vote keep the vinyl stripe unless it is failing. I like it & I think it breaks up the red. I like the black on the rockers as well. I can't do these to mine as its all black...

Attachments

• 20210710_154405 (1).jpg
    20210710_154405 (1).jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 52
I vote keep the vinyl stripe unless it is failing. I like it & I think it breaks up the red. I like the black on the rockers as well. I can't do these to mine as its all black...
It is growing on me, even if the FIAT X1/9 lettering isn't to my taste. Vinyl is sticking well (installed after 2017 re-paint), annoying though how sloppy the cutout for side markers is
1672406190448.png

Back in the late 80's when I repainted my '79 in Porsche Guards Red (current '82 is much more orange) I painted this strip white, which was/is rather unique.
Agree with you on the black rockers.
Today's to-do list: place big (but not that expensive) order with Bayless, and re-install seats which have material on order for re-upholstery in 2 weeks.

It is growing on me, even if the FIAT X1/9 lettering isn't to my taste. Vinyl is sticking well (installed after 2017 re-paint), annoying though how sloppy the cutout for side markers is
View attachment 69217
Back in the late 80's when I repainted my '79 in Porsche Guards Red (current '82 is much more orange) I painted this strip white, which was/is rather unique.
Agree with you on the black rockers.
Today's to-do list: place big (but not that expensive) order with Bayless, and re-install seats which have material on order for re-upholstery in 2 weeks.
I am with you on this vinyl. The font is horrible and in general it doesn’t’ look good. Everytime I see this kit on an X I am put off by the car. There was a yellow one sold recently which has the same kit. As I recall this was a peculiarly American tape kit and in my view poorly conceived.

I don’t mind the ‘ladder stripe’ kit which one sees as it has a real 70s vibe and a level of design authenticity. This is just uninspired and poorly done.

I personally like the black rocker as it tends to visually ‘thin’ the car particularly as the front and rear overhangs are notably higher than the rocker structure.

However, it is your car so do as pleases you.

493C1806-A829-450F-8028-05DA3F465199.jpeg
7FF8326D-6F26-4B5D-B325-8E4CCE4C796C.jpeg

I am with you on this vinyl. The font is horrible and in general it doesn’t’ look good. Everytime I see this kit on an X I am put off by the car.
Exactly. Plus there's already more than enough Fiat, X1/9 and Bertone badges adorning the car inside and out. Disco Stu doesn't advertise :)
I'm going to cover the cutouts with electrical tape to gauge the improvement.

The ladder stripe is indeed neat and may look equally good on later bumpered cars, but yeah does somehow seem a 70's design (not a bad thing!).

I am a fan of period correct, attractive side graphics, like on my '86 CRX:
1672412050543.png

Last edited:
Exactly. Plus there's already more than enough Fiat, X1/9 and Bertone badges adorning the car inside and out. Disco Stu doesn't advertise :)
I'm going to cover the cutouts with electrical tape to gauge the improvement.

The ladder stripe is indeed neat and may look equally good on later bumpered cars, but yeah does somehow seem a 70's design (not a bad thing!).

I am a fan of period correct, attractive side graphics, like on my '86 CRX:
View attachment 69222
Love the 1st gen CRX, but I never owned an Si...

- remove black vinyl side graphics (maybe)
Live with the stripe a bit and see how you feel about it. It goes with the color scheme at least. Since it hasn't been on there for 30 years, it should come off fairly well if you choose to remove it.

My 86 had the big "B E R T O N E" sticker across the nose and I took it off at my first opportunity. I was not a fan at all. My 85 is stickerless, but has the fancy jackass badges Ricardo had made for us years ago.
IM001677.JPGJackass emblem.jpg

Live with the stripe a bit and see how you feel about it. It goes with the color scheme at least. Since it hasn't been on there for 30 years, it should come off fairly well if you choose to remove it.

My 86 had the big "B E R T O N E" sticker across the nose and I took it off at my first opportunity. I was not a fan at all. My 85 is stickerless, but has the fancy jackass badges Ricardo had made for us years ago.
View attachment 69254View attachment 69255
You are indeed fancy, not sure about that other part.

:)

Red X has that same abominable script across the front. Or should I say had…

Tried removing boot/engine cover release handle today and decided to stop as I didn’t want to damage anything knowing these are difficult to find.
Did a search for removal….no luck!🤷‍♂️
Am I correct in assuming the control cables need to be removed from boot and engine cover locks first to allow you to pull the handles out far enough to unhook the cables that lock into each pull handle?

Tried removing boot/engine cover release handle today and decided to stop as I didn’t want to damage anything knowing these are difficult to find.
Did a search for removal….no luck!🤷‍♂️
Am I correct in assuming the control cables need to be removed from boot and engine cover locks first to allow you to pull the handles out far enough to unhook the cables that lock into each pull handle?
Remove the driver's side engine scoop (IIRC 3-4 small phillips head screws) and that gives you surprisingly good access to the back side of the in-jamb-mounted release mechanism.

Tips: (1) keep the engine cover and runklid open (either all the way up, or blocked from slamming shut with a piece of wood, etc) whenever you work on the latch mechanism; (2) you may find it useful to loosen or dismount the engine cover and runklid hold-down latches from their bulkheads to give the cables more flex and travel as you manipulate them from the release levers.

Last edited:
Worked on transmission last couple of days , back in car seems to be working good , ended up changing second gear and,synchro,s ,shift fork for three and four , bearings ,release bearing , seal and gasket kit , used MTL 90 oil .also new transaxle mount

Back