Monterey Car Week 2023

Two more X's to add to that. A pal and I.
I honestly don't remember ever seeing 25+ X's anyplace but an old factory photo.
Maybe our "cute" little cars will actually be noticed amongst the $30K carbon wheel upgrades...
This year Concorso is celebrating the 50th Anniversary celebration of the X1/9 (or words to that effect).

May be the largest turn out in the US in decades. Last CI I attended ('17?) had about a half dozen X's. Even FFO doesn't pull those kind of X numbers...does it?

May be the largest turn out in the US in decades. Last CI I attended ('17?) had about a half dozen X's. Even FFO doesn't pull those kind of X numbers...does it?
We had 18 registered X's (plus 1 walk on) in attendance at the 2021 FFO in Lancaster, PA. Supposedly that was an FFO record.

The secret to Monterey car week events is to buy all of your tickets as soon as they become offered. You can get the "best price offered" then, and only then.
The secret to the best lodging prices is to reserve your room years in advance. Living only an hour away I did that for years as it saved me two hours of driving each day. But as prices went up I am back to commuting. And sleeping in my own bed ain't bad either! Now many out of the bay area folks just take a hotel over an hour away to save $$$.

As CI allows two people entrance with each registered car, the cheapest way to get in is to register your car as early as possible. Just remember you actually need to bring your car to use this ticket option.

And now for the super secret way to get it.
Stand at the entrance and if you see a car with only the driver ask them if you (or your son) can sit in the empty seat.
Be there early! Did I say EARLY? I hear the hitch hiking/shoulder tapping line can be very long! And bring cash as the guy you pick may need a wee bit of financial encouragement.

In reality, if you have never been to CI, or Monterey car week, just bend over and spend the money. In the end you will be glad you did. You can also join one of the local car clubs. Many of them put on a week of "frugal" events for their members that will allow you to see cars all week long.

I used to attend the Pebble Beach show on Sunday as either press, or a judge. That has changed as they have really tightened up on press passes in the last 20 years. Now I watch the live broadcast from the Pebble web site. I get to see most of the class and special award winners. I do miss walking the rows of show cars. But for free I can't complain.

In reality, if you have never been to CI, or Monterey car week, just bend over and spend the money. In the end you will be glad you did.
I agree. It is one of those "bucket list" type events for car enthusiasts, worth the price at least once.

However for those that have attended for decades it's a different story unfortunately. For almost the same money I could just about fly to England and attend the Goodwood Festival for the first time. ;)

Another option to Monterey Week might be joint SEMA and see the SEMA Show every Nov in Las Vegas. Very affordable all around and four (actually now five) days of more car stuff than you could possibly see in that amount of time.

How about attend the Historic "pre" race weekend at Laguna Seca the week prior to Monterey Week, instead of the regular events' week? Or for that matter, any of the major vintage car festivals that take place around the country every year?

And there are others. So if you've had your fill of Monterey, consider options and expand your automotive experiences.

FWIW, my experience has been;

Show up late.

Last CI I attended (and the one before), I showed up at the last minute for the requested arrival time. Lines were not bad at all. And they placed me right up front, literally facing the exit. There is (still) plenty of time to walk around. I think I even got in a "chair nap".
When it was time to leave, boom! Gone baby, gone.

Just say'n

According to the CI map the Xs are being placed in the back 40. I’m guessing arrival time for Xs isn’t going to be critical.

According to the CI map the Xs are being placed in the back 40.
Where do you see that? I didn't see X1/9's broken out from other makes. What I saw is that Fiat/Abarth will be near the stage.
I’m guessing arrival time for Xs isn’t going to be critical.
Actually, arrival time is critical. If you arrive after the admission window closes, you get to park in General Parking and there are no refunds issued for not getting to park in the show.

Actually, arrival time is critical. If you arrive after the admission window closes, you get to park in General Parking and there are no refunds issued for not getting to park in the show.
Sorry, I wasn’t clear on what I was referring to. I was thinking more about getting there as soon as the gates open as it relates to getting out as soon as possible after 3:00.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear on what I was referring to. I was thinking more about getting there as soon as the gates open as it relates to getting out as soon as possible after 3:00.
Ah.... That makes more sense.

Fiat America is going to have a group dinner afterward Concorso in Salinas. It's generally open to others there even if they're not in the club. It helps let post-event traffic thin out as most of the roads get clogged pretty quickly - even if one tries to make a rush to the gates to leave.

Where do you see that? I didn't see X1/9's broken out from other makes. What I saw is that Fiat/Abarth will be near the stage.

To clarify, what I mean by "late" is showing up 20-30 min prior to line cut-off. Has worked for me a couple times now... Can't imagine waiting an hour or more in stop/go traffic right when the gate opens.

To clarify, what I mean by "late" is showing up 20-30 min prior to line cut-off. Has worked for me a couple times now... Can't imagine waiting an hour or more in stop/go traffic right when the gate opens.
When was that? I didn't attend last year, but they changed the arrival procedures so there the arriving traffic is able to flow much better. The waiting an hour or more in stop/go traffic sounds more like when CI was on Friday and everyone had to join in on the fun of commuter traffic.

I think the new organizers knew the Ferrari, Lamborghini crowd got tired of cars overheating so the entry procedures were changed?

Glad to know CI organizers have had a light-bulb moment regarding hot, idling million dollar hardware.

In '17 (my last attendance) I was late and was glad it was only about a 20-25 min process to get in. Turned off my car a few times. Few things more frustrating than watching the 'ol temp needle clime while some oblivious dork is arguing over parking or kibitzing with ground handlers.

Last edited:
Back