Monterey Car Week 2023

Glad to know CI organizers have had a light-bulb moment regarding hot, idling million dollar hardware.

In '17 (my last attendance) I was late and was glad it was only about a 20-25 min process to get in. Turned off my car a few times. Few things more frustrating than watching the 'ol temp needle clime while some oblivious dork is arguing over parking or kibitzing with ground handlers.
I thought watching cars boil over was a bit of a spectator sport... :)

When I've been idling - either in plain old fashioned traffic jam or while waiting to get into a car show (it's not exclusive to CI) - I'll sometimes rev the engine to about 3-4,000 rpm and hold it there to help increase the water flow. From what I understand, at idle, the water pump doesn't have enough oomph to push enough coolant around, so revving the engine a bit aids that. Also, I'll sometimes pop the engine cover. The hard part is when you don't remember you did, enter the freeway and realize you have a bit of a spoiler as the wind flowing over the car will lift the engine cover a bit.

When I've been idling - either in plain old fashioned traffic jam or while waiting to get into a car show (it's not exclusive to CI) - I'll sometimes rev the engine to about 3-4,000 rpm and hold it there to help increase the water flow. From what I understand, at idle, the water pump doesn't have enough oomph to push enough coolant around, so revving the engine a bit aids that. Also, I'll sometimes pop the engine cover. The hard part is when you don't remember you did, enter the freeway and realize you have a bit of a spoiler as the wind flowing over the car will lift the engine cover a bit.
Yeah, old hot-rodder trick i've done it lots. Some of the old timers used to actually make a drip system to wash over the radiator, then pull air through with an electric fan...

We need to noodle through an electric water pump system. Had one on a built 440 Mopar. Worth it's weight at a VERY "Hot August Nights" in Reno.

"I'd be willing to bet there are a few X folks who would be interested.

Just say'n

Been there, done that.

1689350494532.png

Us d to live in SoCal. Driving up 101 on the long straight it was great fun watching the Lamborghini clubs get pulled over for speeding. 5-10 cars in a line each getting tickets. It was fortuitous that our 8 series BMWs were relatively slow.

I'm going to do an eyeball survey while at CI...
Like to guess at how many of these high dollar car guys never actually finish registering their cars? Or at least in the state they mostly use it?
Lots.
Amazing how so many "dealer plates" make onto expensive cars on a rotating basis. Pic of the over-heating Lambo brought it to mind.

I'm going to do an eyeball survey while at CI...
Like to guess at how many of these high dollar car guys never actually finish registering their cars? Or at least in the state they mostly use it?
Lots.
Amazing how so many "dealer plates" make onto expensive cars on a rotating basis. Pic of the over-heating Lambo brought it to mind.
I've always kind of wondered about that. I wonder what it takes to become a "car dealer" who deals with an exclusive market segment that might not actually buy any cars...

I've always kind of wondered about that. I wonder what it takes to become a "car dealer" who deals with an exclusive market segment that might not actually buy any cars...
Easiest way in California is a wholesale only license. You can't sell to the public, only another wholesale or retail dealer. A few less hoops to jump through but you still need an office location, a bond, etc. Easy path to obtaining dealer plates but all the annual fees for maintaining the license add up. You can't just throw dealer plates on anything (personal cars), they need to show a wholesale RS and be in inventory. The actual dealer can run on a dealer plate 24/7, but employees are harassed with regularity after business hours and weekends. The insurance umbrella is not cheap for those plates either. The last half of my career I was a California new car dealer. Now retired, one of the things I miss most is being able to buy just about anything, throw a plate on it and drive the wheels off it - no smog, no nothing. When done they just went to auction out of state. Now I'm relegated to the '75 and below rule......

We need to noodle through an electric water pump system. Had one on a built 440 Mopar. Worth it's weight at a VERY "Hot August Nights" in Reno.

"I'd be willing to bet there are a few X folks who would be interested.

Just say'n

My car uses an electric water pump, and it will be at CI. I did it so I could keep the cooling system functioning in the hot pits with the engine off.

The discussion about overheating X's and electric water pumps is currently being discussed in a couple of other threads. I love how certain individuals continuously repeat that the X's stock cooling system is perfect and X's NEVER overheat because the original designer of these engines was so brilliant. :rolleyes:

Need an X with a completely rebuilt engine and cooling system (new parts preferably) to run some experiments to put this controversy to bed. Volunteers?

Once again betraying the fact that I'm older than dirt I seem to recall less than $30 total entry for showing your car at CI. That included two tickets and the hospitality tent access. I seem to recall two glasses of Champagne and finger food also in the tent. Room was maybe $225? for a private cottage 150 feet from the Quail Lodge restaurant. "Smart" guys from San Jose would enter a beater car with a fake picture to get the discount! I'm terrible on names but James Mandano or something similar put the event on till his option expired. That's when the prices skyrocketed. This was all in the late 198's early 1990's. Better yet was the Italian car and motorcycle event put on by Norb McNamara at the Army field at the Presidio parade ground. He was (RIP) an Army Doctor given clandestine permission to host maybe 75 cars and bikes there.

Once again betraying the fact that I'm older than dirt I seem to recall less than $30 total entry for showing your car at CI. That included two tickets and the hospitality tent access. I seem to recall two glasses of Champagne and finger food also in the tent. Room was maybe $225? for a private cottage 150 feet from the Quail Lodge restaurant. "Smart" guys from San Jose would enter a beater car with a fake picture to get the discount! I'm terrible on names but James Mandano or something similar put the event on till his option expired. That's when the prices skyrocketed. This was all in the late 198's early 1990's. Better yet was the Italian car and motorcycle event put on by Norb McNamara at the Army field at the Presidio parade ground. He was (RIP) an Army Doctor given clandestine permission to host maybe 75 cars and bikes there.
I clearly remember those events back then and how things changed as well. The whole car week seemed to suddenly go from a "car show" event to a "social" event. Sad.

My first year attending CI was 1999. I think it cost $50(?) to register a car. Now as it was then, that price included 2 entries - driver and passenger, hospitality tent with coffee and some light snacks. There might have been champagne in the early years too.

FIAT America held their 30th Anniversary that weekend. I had booked a room a few months in advance and it was something like $129 per night. When I went to check in, the front desk staff tried to tell me rooms were $599 / night (or something stupid high for the place any other time of the year), but I had printed out my reservation confirmation so they were forced to honor it. Starting in 2000, the hotels realized they could charge pretty much whatever they wanted.

Well, things did increase in value over that time span. Houses that went for a couple of hundred thousand back then are going for millions now. Ever looked at the cost of entertainment tickets these days? Everything is way more expensive.

Need an X with a completely rebuilt engine and cooling system (new parts preferably) to run some experiments to put this controversy to bed. Volunteers?
I have a fresh engine build (flushed/fluxed), all new plumbing and pump as well as new aluminum rad with dual spall's and even new SS pipes running the length of the car (in my new project). I plan on running Evans Waterless coolant from the start due to this engine never being touched by "water". If that doesn't produce a flawless cooling system I don't think anything will.
Interesting note, there used to be a youtube vid of Jay Leno explaining why he uses "Evan's" in his builds. Pretty solid facts.

I have a fresh engine build (flushed/fluxed), all new plumbing and pump as well as new aluminum rad with dual spall's and even new SS pipes running the length of the car (in my new project). I plan on running Evans Waterless coolant from the start due to this engine never being touched by "water". If that doesn't produce a flawless cooling system I don't think anything will.
Interesting note, there used to be a youtube vid of Jay Leno explaining why he uses "Evan's" in his builds. Pretty solid facts.
Been running Evans in my 2003 LR Discovery 2 for the last 7 years, rock steady engine temps in 121 deg F to -10 deg F weather.

Back