1971 Fiat 850 almost ready to drive

Discussion in 'Rear-Engine Fiats' started by Pat, Jul 6, 2018.

  1. Tom Ginefra

    Tom Ginefra True Classic

    Northern NJ
    That's a shocking photo!
  2. Pat

    Pat True Classic

    I didn't wear the watch for at least a month afterwards. (Actually I could not wear it). I had the watch fixed and it only needed a battery. Pretty amazing.
    dllubin likes this.
  3. kmead

    kmead Old enough to know better

    I stopped wearing my wedding ring after getting it caught up on some unseen hook in an engine bay of one of my cars. Took me seemingly forever to get unhooked.

    I have always feared the touching the positive post on a starter for exactly the reason you suffered (the same for a ring, you could easily lose your finger to a circumferential burn)

    You are lucky. Congrats on your recuperation.

    I suspect some words were spoken at that moment and your significant other likely had some other choice words for you
    khnitz likes this.
  4. Frank L. Di Gioia

    Frank L. Di Gioia True Classic

    las vegas, nevada
    OUCH! Only other person to have had that happen was my brother about 50 years ago. Some day you will remember and laugh. My brother did about 40 years later. Wishes for low pain recovery, it had to have hurt!
  5. Pat

    Pat True Classic

    Actually there was very little pain afterwards. I was told that some burns kill the pain receptors so you don't feel much. Anyway, I didn't go to the doctor right away, but my wife force me to go since it looked so bad. I'm all healed up now and I have a lifetime supply of special silver burn ointment in case you need some.
  6. Pat

    Pat True Classic

    I had a good chat with Chris from Fiatplus the other day about the water temperature sender on the Fiat 850. Apparently they are very hard to come by, so I thought I would mention what I did to get the gauge working again. When I replaced all of the water hoses, I spliced in sender that I got from eBay that was suppose to be compatible with Fiat's. I used a brass T fitting with a 1/8 npt fittings. On both ends, I used a hose fitting with hose clamps. You can see the picture below.

    The unit has to be grounded, so I added a ground wire and attached that to the value cover stud. The picture shows the original sending unit still in place.

    Now my water temp gauge work, but it is not calibrated quit right. When the gauge shows 220, it is actually about 185.
  7. Pat

    Pat True Classic

    Another part I was having to replace were the drain hoses in the front trunk. These appear to be a 27mm inside diameter with a very slim design. You can try to use 1.1 inch rubber hose, but it is not very flexible and is too large to fit in the drain holes without modification. After some exhaustive searching, I found 27mm flexible tubing at Amazon. It's about $12.00 delivered and is enough to do the trunk area and at least one of the drains under the dash. Maybe both as I haven't tried to replace those yet.

    You can see that it fits well, but it is white and not the light grey color. I had to use a wire tie to insure that it did not slip off.

    Shot under the car shows the drain exiting the car and no cutting had to be done.

    Hopefully someone can find this beneficial.
    kmead and khnitz like this.
  8. NM850

    NM850 True Classic

    Albuquerque NM
    Thanks for sharing that link. I used to find suitable stuff at truevalue but not any more.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice