1974 California Blue-Plate X1/9 Project For Sale

JTBernhardt

True Classic
I've decided it's time for my 1974 X1/9 project to go to a new home. Here's a build thread I made on the car:

I bought the car from the original owner in December 2016 in Sacramento with intentions of saving it from being a parts car or getting crushed. It's wearing it's original California Blue plates and yellow paint. The car is located in Foresthill, CA 95631. It currently it has lien sale paperwork in my name, and a vin verification is required to register the car for street use and obtain a title. I can assist the buyer in obtaining a title. Along with the build thread above, I've posted a summary of what's been done to the car along with current pictures of the car. The odometer is at 04,804 (likely 104,480). I'd like to get $4000 or best offer for the car and the extra parts that go with it. I can likely dig up a small pile of receipts to go with the car as well.

Mechanical:
The car was last driven in 2019. A video of the engine running can be seen here:

The 1300 engine has been completely de-smogged and a European timing belt cover was fitted after the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump were replaced. The water pump gasket is leaking and will need to be replaced. The alternator was rebuilt and a valve adjustment was done at the same time. The radiator was replaced with a NOS unit. The thermostat and coolant over-flower were also replaced. The 1974 specific 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and down pipe were removed and ceramic coated along with the ANSA dual tip muffler. The system has some repairable rust, but is perfectly usable as-is. It's missing the exhaust clamp, and will need one installed. The carburetor was rebuilt, but will need to be cleaned out again due to bad fuel getting into the system. The points were replaced along with the cap, rotor, spark plugs, and wires. The mechanical fuel pump was replaced, but the diaphragm has failed which caused it to pump some gas into the engine. The gas tank will need to be drained, the fuel pump diaphragm replaced, and the oil will need to be drained and replaced. The throw-out bearing makes a little bit of noise, but the cars shifts smoothly through all four gears and reverse. The clutch and brake master cylinders were replaced along with the line going from the reservoirs to the master cylinders. The clutch slave cylinder and hose were also replaced along with all the brake lines. New rotors were fitted all around along with rebuilt front calipers. I fit stock brake pads, but I would highly suggest switching to EBC Greenstuff pads to improve braking.

Body:
The car is still wearing it's original yellow paint and shows no signs of being repainted. I did a three-stage Meguiar's wax on the car a few years ago and it still show's pretty well for being almost 50 years old. It has dents and some rust, which I tried to document as well as possible in the pictures below, along as in the build thread. The worst rust is the battery box, which has rusted away completely. A new box was cut out of a parts cars and is included with the car. The engine cover has some denting and surface rust, but is repairable. I repainted the front bumpers, front grille, and roof semi-gloss black. I replaced the wheels with a set of Cromodora Iron cross wheels with relatively new 185 70 13 tires. A set of original steel wheels can be included if desired. The headlight pods were lubricated and now go up and down correctly. All major grounds were cleaned. A used bowtie gas cap along with an NOS 1974 specific side mirror are also included, but aren't pictured.

Interior:
The dash is fairly warped, and should be replaced. I'll include a repairable dash with the purchase price of the car. The seats need to be re-covered despite the uber-cool plaid cloth. The AMCO arm rest also needs recovering, but is the only one I've ever seen intact. The choke lever cover is missing (where do they all go?). The door panels look pretty good, as does the rear firewall upholstery. The original red carpet is faded, but intact and could be dyed or cleaned and left as-is for patina. I replaced the instrument cluster face with a clear one. The heater box is currently removed from the car as the studs that hold it onto the car snapped off and need to be replaced. A replacement box and heater core have already been sourced to replace the ruined originals. The center console is in near-perfect shape and is sitting in the frunk and was removed at the same time as the heater box. The fuse box was taken out and all contacts were cleaned and fuse holders cleaned and tightened. All the fuses were replaced.

IMG_8615.jpgIMG_8607.jpgIMG_8608.jpgIMG_8609.jpgIMG_8610.jpgIMG_8611.jpgIMG_8637.jpgIMG_8639.jpgIMG_8614.jpg
IMG_8617.jpg
IMG_8633.jpg
IMG_8618.jpgIMG_8622.jpgIMG_8619.jpgIMG_8621.jpgIMG_8625.jpgIMG_8641.jpg
IMG_8634.jpg
IMG_8627.jpg
IMG_8626.jpg
IMG_8628.jpg
IMG_8629.jpgIMG_8630.jpgIMG_8632.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8631.jpg
    IMG_8631.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 10