1976 Scorpion; Gold

I got just about everything back together to take it for a spin. Amazing how new tires make a car feel like new again.
The brakes are great, I'm leaving the booster. When the car is on the road, the vacuum pump sounds like a hum. Pumping the brakes multiple times in a row gave consistent braking each time. The vacuum pump keeps the vacuum steady all the time.
IMG_1626.JPG
IMG_1625.JPG

I got just about everything back together to take it for a spin. Amazing how new tires make a car feel like new again.
The brakes are great, I'm leaving the booster. When the car is on the road, the vacuum pump sounds like a hum. Pumping the brakes multiple times in a row gave consistent braking each time. The vacuum pump keeps the vacuum steady all the time.
View attachment 71954View attachment 71953
Do try a few panic stops. Do the same the next time you are out in the rain. Just so you are familiar with how the system will behave when you panic hit them when a moron like me does something stupid in front of a classic car.

I got the air cleaners back in place, and did some shake down runs to see if everything is in order.

I did pop a shift bushing out. I knew it right away, though it only happened once before in 1983. So, I need to replace those again.
Also noticed the right turn signal does not work, so have to look into that. Need to bleed the clutch too as that fluid is over ten years old.
IMG_1661.JPG

Looks good. Sucks to have to do your shift bushings right after having some of the items that would have made it a little easier out so recently. Weird how you got both can boxes with distributor mounts. Would be easy to find a Lancia script cam cover without the EGR mount.

Last edited:
I got the shift bushings in place. Looks like the others (top and bottom of the vertical piece, etc) were already done. Probably back in 2001 when I had access to a lift. So these were the 4 remaining that were the original orange color.

NOTE: the long link rod has the bushings installed wrong! They both need to go in the same direction.
DSC_0183.JPG

Last edited:
One of the last things before re-fitting the spare tire...bleeding the old nasty fluid from the clutch.
DSC_0190.JPG
DSC_0193.JPG

I can report back on the brakes. The assist gives about 30% less brake effort when I compared it with the vacuum pump active and the vacuum pump disconnected. I don't detect any tendency to lock the front in the dry when the assist is active.
It is much more enjoyable to drive with the assist active.

Back