1976 Scorpion; Gold

Almost all the parts are here. The Eurosport box arrived today. Still waiting on the plating and the hoses.

Water pump is out. I don't see anything wrong with it. It was working fine, but just common sense to replace it now.
IMG_2736.jpg

I always wanted a Stratos. So I got the 308GT4 and the Lancia and tried to get them to mate and have a baby Stratos.

It did work, but baby is growing real slow. Still under 2 feet long...
lancia diecast.jpg

The big Stratos is a Kyosho RC model from around 1999/2000. I ran it pretty hard back then. About five years ago I restored it back to original for display, not unlike restoring a full size car.

Kyosho.JPG
Landmax.jpg
Screen Shot 2024-04-30 at 1.08.13 PM.png

Last edited:
I built my Stratos model to resemble a friend's full size Stratos replica. McCann recently passed, but in the 1980s and 1990s he helped us with our Dino restoration projects and I bought my Testarrosa from him. I don't know what became of his Stratos.

Dennis Mccann.png

Last edited:
Test fitting the new hoses.
That's a neat looking thermostat, I've only seen the more rounded ones before like your original - just a thought, is it orientated correctly though? The port furthest to the back (the one you have going to the water pump) is possibly the one that closes off when the 'stat opens if it follows the same internal working?

EDIT: Looks like the new one and the old one are very different construction. The opening that is 'closed when cold' points toward the front of the car. This is ok here.

IMG_2606 copy.JPG

Last edited:
I just tested the new one I have (which looks like this) and the 'closed when cold' opening indeed is the one pointing toward the front here.

IMG_2822.jpg

Last edited:
I think your old stat was hooked up fine - it looks the same as one I have and follows the notes on the MWB site (it seems all of this design are the same):

Your new one should be easy to test/work-out - when cold, the lower water pipe port (i.e. from the radiator) is blocked off and you want the flow from cylinder head top rail to pump - when hot, the stat opens, so now the flow is from the lower water pipe to the water pump, and now the top rail port is blocked.

I only work on this a few hours a week. I spent a whole session just cleaning the water pump mating surface.
It is really hard to see; this cellphone image is how I’m checking my work.
IMG_2825.jpeg

Last edited:
Back