2021 F1 season begins today - anybody care?

Honestly I liked F1 on the wide world of sports and in the pages of Rotten Truck and Crud and Drivel. Henry N Manney III and Rob Walker describing.

So much of modern sports ends up being the idiots blathering on, its not about them, its about the race and the driving. Turn off the talking heads and just give us the sounds of the engines.

Senna believed God was with him in the cockpit. Personally, based on how things worked out, I'd trust all those buttons more...

Just think of all those buttons the drivers get to press. Now that is racing. Hey look a Camrry with a V6.

Okay just one more.

At one point, I think in the early 2000's they were contemplating automatic transmissions and other automated features such as traction control, anitlock brakes, and so on. I think it was Road and Track that opined that if they did that, they'd have to change it from "World Driving Championship" to "World Steering Championship". :p

So true Peter, honestly I do not see the point in racing anymore, its just so antiseptic. Be it F1, Nascar or Indy, even rallying. All the cars are he same.

BTW God did not kill Senna, that stupid steering column along with the active suspension that decided to sit down killed Senna.

So true Peter, honestly I do not see the point in racing anymore, its just so antiseptic. Be it F1, Nascar or Indy, even rallying. All the cars are he same.

BTW God did not kill Senna, that stupid steering column along with the active suspension that decided to sit down killed Senna.
God sure didn’t help him out. And if all the cars are the same, why does the same guy keep winning all the time, in both IndyCar and F1? Nascar maybe. But ugh, can’t stand NASCAR.
I suppose you could blame everything on Jackie Stewart, for wanting to make F1 a safe enough sport that one driver per week didn’t die. I loved watching those late 60’s, suicide machines. Maybe Senna was the final wake-up call: yeah, it was great, exciting, unbridled racing, but killing our top stars isn’t good for business. I used to like when NHL players wore no helmets.
I got used to them living longer instead...

Last edited:
Two drivers died that weekend Senna passed away, it was the kick start for even greater safety measures.

Yup. And this period was a great improvement over Stewart’s days. Remember the movie ‘Grand Prix’? Hell, Hollywood couldn’t even attempt to shoot a movie as dangerous as it was to shoot GP: helicopters 10 feet off the ground, etc. But astounding racing footage for a film. ‘Rush’ replaced a lot of that real danger with CGI tricks, and did a pretty damn good job.

I lost interest when F1 got woke. Combine that with promoting "the show" over "racing" via DRS and I would rather watch reruns of the Any Griffith show. (Which is only slightly better than a stick in my eye.) Politics in racing make me throw up a little.
BTW - NASCAR is worse than F1.
Booo. Just watch it. Let your woke issues slide. haha. No need to be so sensitive. :)

Although I'm not a fan of DRS, there is still art to passing in a modern F1 car.

What a great race. Looking forward to this season.

Yup. And this period was a great improvement over Stewart’s days. Remember the movie ‘Grand Prix’? Hell, Hollywood couldn’t even attempt to shoot a movie as dangerous as it was to shoot GP: helicopters 10 feet off the ground, etc. But astounding racing footage for a film. ‘Rush’ replaced a lot of that real danger with CGI tricks, and did a pretty damn good job.

I agree Rush did a great job. Ford vs Ferrari not so much.

Booo. Just watch it. Let your woke issues slide. haha. No need to be so sensitive. :)

Although I'm not a fan of DRS, there is still art to passing in a modern F1 car.

What a great race. Looking forward to this season.
I'll let you watch it. Have fun. Please don't feel obligated to tell me what to watch on TV, I'll figure it out for myself. 😂

I'll let you watch it. Have fun. Please don't feel obligated to tell me what to watch on TV, I'll figure it out for myself. 😂

I just find it funny (as well as a bit puzzling) when people get all bent out of shape about "woke" as you call it. You felt the need to mention it again, so. Obviously it impacted you.

Anyway, have fun watching whatever it is you watch! ;)

I just find it funny (as well as a bit puzzling) when people get all bent out of shape about "woke" as you call it. You felt the need to mention it again, so. Obviously it impacted you.

Anyway, have fun watching whatever it is you watch! ;)
While it was pretty obvious F1 would get on board with world affairs, seeing their best driver is Black, and that they are a worldwide entity, I wasn’t surprised the way they’ve handled things. At least they don’t have church service before every race like hillbilly NASCAR does. Man, they lost me with that stuff. But their base must be stoked.

Going back and reading many comments on the V6s.

You know, Renault had turbo V6s in the late 70 and 80s, yet they sounded gnarly.

Here's Senna at Adelaide 85. Absolutely love the 97T. (Renault V6 Turbo of course)

Wish the new V6s sounded like this. They are all about thermal efficiency these days. Still a great series and I love that it's a technical display--that's half of F1.

I also was disappointed the new rules were delayed a year. But, hey there are worse things.

Back