850 Sport Coupe series 2 track car.

ramona300

True Classic
Still going ahead with the Suzuki head. I'm using the Suzuki conrods and pistons and because the piston height is lower on the Suzuki pistons I will remove less material off the top of a 843 block. With a stock Suzuki piston the capacity will be around 940ccs. My crankshaft has been away getting machined for a few months now! Hopefully I will pick up a bit of stroke increase as well so may do better than 940 in the end.

ramona300

True Classic
Monday I had a Dyno session to find MBT. I have been suffering from a retarded engine for too long. Local tuner reconned 17 degrees was safe with 10psi of boost. I bumped it up to 22 degrees for the last hillclimb and it came alive. With this tuner, he understands small boosted engines and we did a lot of pulls, increasing the advance a couple of degrees at a time with the power increasing all the time. I reckoned 27 degrees would be the sweet spot but we finished at 30 degrees! Started the day with 22 degrees and this gave 59 RWHP. Finished the day at 30 degrees and 77.5 RWHP. HP is always in the timing!
87160228_2772599332823307_4085180863967395840_o.jpg
87430111_2772599586156615_3082511493061672960_o.jpg
87502431_2772599422823298_7429676742085705728_o.jpg

GregS

ProjectX
Sounds great Graham, you should certainly notice the hp increase on track. Good luck at the nationals, unfortuneately I won't be there to see it.

ramona300

True Classic
Sounds great Graham, you should certainly notice the hp increase on track. Good luck at the nationals, unfortuneately I won't be there to see it.
Thanks Greg. I checked the entry list and wondered whether you would be there.

ramona300

True Classic
After reading the thread on clutch cables and the modification Jeff Stitch mentions I checked one of my videos to see if I could hear the clutch pedal squeak. I knew about the mod previously and when I looked at the bracket it seemed OK. Watching the video though the squeak was very loud and it's easily heard over the engine. The noise inside my car is high, even with a helmet on but the squeak is obvious. I noticed I had not put this video up on Youtube for some reason so I did. It's a bit long and boring but since I can't get out and use the car still I guess I can just bore people instead!

ramona300

True Classic
Carried out the clutch pedal lever modification today. I just welded a couple of 8mm nuts to a piece of SS tube about 20mm long. The green bit is a piece of 20mm thick chopping board. 8mm bolt through that and the whole lot is tensioned up nicely. I was going to bolt the plastic bit in place but it's not going anywhere!
Clutch pedal pivot mod.jpg

myredracer

True Classic
Carried out the clutch pedal lever modification today. I just welded a couple of 8mm nuts to a piece of SS tube about 20mm long. The green bit is a piece of 20mm thick chopping board. 8mm bolt through that and the whole lot is tensioned up nicely. I was going to bolt the plastic bit in place but it's not going anywhere!
Worthwhile mod and not hard to do. It's on my to do list. For anyone else wanting to do this, a standard M8 coupling nut can be used if you don't have a welder. This is a photo from Ian in Oz who just did the mod in his 1300/124 and posted some photos on FB.

1593359314938.png

Last edited:

GregS

ProjectX
Looking good Graham. How is the car running, did you get any times?
I got onto the track last weekend too, it's good to blow out the cobwebs.

ramona300

True Classic
Looking good Graham. How is the car running, did you get any times?
I got onto the track last weekend too, it's good to blow out the cobwebs.
I did not record any times but timing off my videos shows a 2-second lap improvement. The extra power was noticeable but on such a short circuit it does not really benefit. The front aero add on was having no noticeable improvement but will on a longer circuit. I will go down to Wakefield Park and have a practice day before the next Nationals. The video is from Friday and shows two Raceaway tracktime cars, the MX5 2L 6 speed and a Toyota 86 plus a privately owned Lotus Elise Sprint. The Lotus was miles faster but the other two were roughly 1 second faster.