86 1500, Mild Performance Build

Hi All,

I have been avoiding this thread obviously for quite a while. Decided to just drive what it currently is for the summer and figure out what to do. It's been a typically hot humid Georgia summer so it was easy to slack off for the season. The X has been wonderfully dependable the entire time, even the starter that wasn't working when Tavalin sold it to me is working great. He did a pretty darn good job of getting things up to snuff and I'm grateful for his concientous conservancy. Well, the headlights did decide to not work just recently but that should be an easy fix. They do pop up and the high beam switch works but that's it. No biggie.

Steve C; Yes, 1,900 lbs. with what you mentioned above except the front impact dampers and a light battery need to be done. Goal with ac (if I keep it) is around 1,7xx.
Ghostdancing; aftermarket ECU is in the plans.

The storage unit shop just doesn't get used and the X has been in a smaller 10x15 unit closer to the house. Will bitch and moan about it but will use it until the garage gets built. Life could be worse.

So...next project
Finally accrued all the suspension parts needed for a complete rebuild. Suspension stuff is the only wrenching that I really enjoy to be quite frank. There are some obvious redundancies in the pic...

X19 suspension goodies 9 4 21.jpg

Reason being is I'm trying to acquire a second X in order to have two different types of Xes; one a rip snorting street legal X and the other a mildly improved somewhat stockish street legal X. The seller is seriously busy and we have only pmed 4 times in a month so I have to just hold my breath and be patient. If it happens it happens. If it doesn't, well crap.

Next up is to rebuild the current X's suspension and put in the rear KYBs (fronts are relatively new) and the Eurosport springs, which are a 30mm drop. I really don't think they'll drop much compared to the old springs, lower weight, and 3mm strut doubler plates. I just want to feel the difference between the old worn out system with a new system. That will tell me what to do next, which is most likely..

The MWB Coilovers (thanks Matt) came a couple of months earlier than expected so they will sit for a while. The MWB site lists the springs at 200/250 but I recieved 250/300, which I am fine with as the Federal 595-SS tires will be initially replaced with Toyo R888Rs. If they are too much I'll try the next step down and so on.

I'll likely avoid changing the bearings as was suggested by some of you recently and the brake system was redone by Tavalin and has MWB semi- metallic pads.

Last edited:
Really nice collection of parts! :) It's exciting when new parts arrive. Maybe too exciting because I have a HUGE stash of new parts waiting for me to get busy and install them. :p

Really nice collection of parts! :) It's exciting when new parts arrive. Maybe too exciting because I have a HUGE stash of new parts waiting for me to get busy and install them. :p
I just tallied up the parts and there's about $4,500 laying around the house - OUCH!!! But they are parts for two cars so that makes it ok, right? :p

I figure the 2-3 year build for the first X will be between 8 to 12k, including the initial purchase of 4k. Will it be worth 12k? Don't care.

Where did you source the fiberglass hood? Weight?
I found it (and doors, roof, engine cover) in Jacksonville. Very high quality. Supposedly they were built by an old guy in Italy at his house and he had something to do with the originals. So, unobtainium. I was told by the seller they were built to hold up to street use and are a few lbs. heavier than the original Dallara track pieces. He is from the Netherlands (not South Africa as I erringly stated earlier in the thread) and brought them over.
X Dallara body parts.jpg

I have not been able to do ANY work on the X or anything else due to some health hinderances. Looks like a hernia op. is in the cards very soon. Ho. ho, ho, Merry Christmas. I tried to get up to the midwest this week to pick up a car hauler and an X but had to hold off, also. Long winter coming.😢

Last edited:
Totally unrelated to the current discussion… But I noticed you used a ford ranger to tow the X home. I recently sold my big truck, I want to get another truck but I want to downsize but I still want to do the occasional tow. How did the Ranger tow? I was surprised that u haul allowed you to rent a car carrier.

1638204355048.jpeg

My 04 3.0 6 cylinder really isn't great for towing a UHaul carrier, especially at higher speeds. I've done it three times so far without problems but felt it was a bit of a strain on the vehicle. The three hour trips were fine but the 8 hour trip at 80 mph was a bit much. And, no, UHaul does not want to rent a carrier to a Ranger! I always rented from the smaller Mom and Pop types without a problem. The Ranger has towed their large enclosed trailers crammed full numerous times and those were easier to pull.

I finally found a single axle carrier that is about 1,200 - 1,400 lbs. lighter, just have to go pick it up. The weight and one less axle will be a big difference. I have loaded some single axle utility trailers quite heavilly and towing is vastly easier. My Ranger also has a heavier suspension.

Of course, a new Ranger is a completely different animal. It's the size of an older F150.

Last edited:
Thanks, my buddy tows a car dolly with his v6 ranger. The new ranger’s bed is tiny, not sure why new trucks are just so useless as trucks.

I found it (and doors, roof, engine cover) in Jacksonville. Very high quality. Supposedly they were built by an old guy in Italy at his house and he had something to do with the originals. So, unobtainium. I was told by the seller they were built to hold up to street use and are a few lbs. heavier than the original Dallara track pieces. He is from the Netherlands (not South Africa as I erringly stated earlier in the thread) and brought them over.

I have not been able to do ANY work on the X or anything else due to some health hinderances. Looks like a hernia op. is in the cards very soon. Ho. ho, ho, Merry Christmas. I tried to get up to the midwest this week to pick up a car hauler and an X but had to hold off, also. Long winter coming.😢
Keep well :)

Back