86 1500, Mild Performance Build

I think your car is pretty close to Huey's black '87 with telephone dial wheels. It was also repainted, in his garage! I think it would make a good comparable for you but add $1,000 for your wheels. Huey originally was asking $5k obo here in the FS/W section and we convinced him to run it through BAT. He was quite surprised at the hammer price and he could have gotten more if he'd cleaned it. Tavalin was unfortunate to have to sell his car at a fire sale price for an international move. These things happen. I imagine he felt he was giving something back to the XWeb community for all the advice he'd gotten. The price you paid is not the current market value.

Cratecruncher, I had acknowledged it was worth more than paid.

I trust this is Huey"s; https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-bertone-x1-9-7/
I would say that's about an 8 out of ten? Really nice driver, about the same paint as far as I can tell. Rebuilt upgrade head by MB, nicer interior, maybe a little less rust but you never know until you know. Supposedly hasn't been in an accident (mine has), coilovers. Probably refurbished a bit more. Not too far off from what I'd like to do.

Just based on that car I'd say mine is a 6 to 6.5, $6000 is a fair price, what I figured it was worth (not 7k). It could be worth ten but it would take money and time, which it will have.

And then there's the really clean Cali car right now on here for $6,800. Looks very clean and super original. probably worth abit more if put on BAT; https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/1982-on-san-luis-obispo-cl.39814/
I would modify Huey's X but not this one.

On the most recent sale. did you notice the gold engine compartment of the green one that sold for more than Huey's car? Yep, color change. That green car was carb'd and had a terrible paint job. It also has accident damage. Notice the difference in the headlights in photo #9. It also had some goofy home depot chickenwire grille. I don't consider it as nice as yours. Yet it sold for $9,300 for some reason.

So far we've only discussed current market. Unmodded cars have doubled in value in two years. While nobody knows what will happen in the future it is safe to assume that people know about and appreciate X1/9's more than they did just a year ago and that momentum is growing. It would not surprise me to see a car in the shape yours is currently in to go for $20-25k in a few years. But if you rod it....$3-5k. There are too many stripped rat rods for the market now. Even if you don't sell this one keep it stock. Buy a beater for $500 and mod the crap out of it!

Attachments

• 1980_fiat_x19_1605041479cfcd21980_fiat_x19_16.jpg
    1980_fiat_x19_1605041479cfcd21980_fiat_x19_16.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 1980_fiat_x19_16050421385ef66e7dff9f98764d1980_fiat_x19_.jpg
    1980_fiat_x19_16050421385ef66e7dff9f98764d1980_fiat_x19_.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
edit; just saw the green X pics. Oof! That's just looks like a bad buy or a laundering scheme, lol.

This isn't going to be a rat rod, CC. That's what my Boxster is for- it's a loud visceral sob and is a blast. I'm not gutting the interior, hopefully will completely restore the ac and many other renovations such as (evidently) a door replacement or reno if possible, repair roof (flew off while p.o. was driving, door and roof seals, deal with some rust issues found when removing bumpers, reno interior, and many more projects that will last a lifetime - because I'll probably keep it until I can no longer drive.

Stay tuned, whether you like what I'm doing or not I will take excellant care of my X and it will be a better car for it. Sez me! :)

Moving on.

What's Next; lots of new replacement parts...

Last edited:
I've never viewed auction prices as reflective of real values.

uhhh Why not? Sale prices, no matter the format, are all representative of "real values".

As with anything, there are high and low outliers...but overall trends are important.

How 'bout them New Orleans Saints folks?

Not my next project, probably in the spring but if I'm going to get the ac going I would like renovate from top to bottom. Looks like quite a job so any feedback is appreciated. https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/ac-resto-upgrade-is-this-the-go-to.39829/

The next two projects will be a new starter and replacing the exhaust system. While crawling around under there I'd like to replace an engine mount and pieces parts for the shifter linkage such as the lollypop and all fasteners. Any other projects and parts while I'm there? Suspension/brake stuff will be projects three and four.

Wait. Actually the next project will be moving the X into the 10x20 storage unit next to the shop and setting it up as an X only garage. Hopefully the tenant will be out by Jan 1. I really can't do any serious wrenching until then. With most of the tools next door there will be tons of room for the X. Maybe unbolt some of the sheet metal between the two units. Getting excited, can't wait!

Location, location, location
shop 208 #9.jpg

Last edited:
You will likely need to do a LOT of cleaning under there. That allows for closer inspection of everything.

Look at the coolant hoses (two large and one small diameter) that are around there.

As you get around to any new areas of the car, always keep an eye open for any/all electrical connections. Check for wires that have broken, stripped, or got pinched. Clean and secure all connections. Replacing any questionable stuff. And consider what electrical system upgrades are worth doing (adding relays, etc).

Also keep an eye open for fluid leaks - mostly lubricants (all seals and gaskets).

And as you already said, check the CV boots, suspension bushings, ball joint boots, brakes, lines, etc.

^I'm getting a power sprayer for the biz and there's a gravel area right outside the shop but it's pretty clean so maybe just a spray bottle and brushes.

Tavalin replaced "99% of all hoses and tubes" so that should be ok but will check. Thanks, Tavy!

I'll check all of the wires and fluids. Looks dry but you know how that goes. All fluids have been recently replaced.

And if I have an extra five minutes I'll pop in a Steve H. tranny.

^ It's quite beautiful. The guy across the street won a Georgia state award for it. He has turned a lot of it into a nature conservancy. He has his UGA degree in soils and his wife has hers in plant pathology. I'm a horticulturalist so we get along great.

I'd forgotten about this little beauty. This is almost exactly what I was thinking but my Cromodoras are 13" and his are maybe 14 or 15s? MWB restoration.

X with gold Cromodora CD31 wheels 3.jpg

X with gold Cromodora CD31 wheels 2.jpg

X with gold Cromodora CD31 wheels.jpg

That's the one from Dubai with a UT conversion.

You do that then I'm sure you have all of our permissions. Small bumper conversion and everything else stock looking but more potent, yes.

I like the gold tone on the wheels with that red color on the body. About the same red as yours I think? And same style wheels? The difference in wheel diameter would not make as much visual impact as the color might. Although that being said I personally prefer 15" wheels on the X. But I would not replace the really nice ones you already have.

I was speaking with a guy last night living in the States but is from South Africa. He was telling me how available and cheap UTs are there.

edit; Dr Jeff, I think it's the same paint but Tavalin wasn't sure. I want to find a good paint supplier to match it and make up some spray cans and a touch up bottle.

edit, edit; I love this thread.

racerdave600 HalfDork
3/11/11 4:06 p.m.

I'm not sure you need to go that route. My old '74 had a European cam, dual webbers, oversized pistons, and a ton of head work. It put out something like 110hp, and the European cam is far from the hottest you can get.
Hoelscher's old DSP car was a rocket. It had programmable injection but a stock cam and internals. The mid range was so much better than mine (and he built my engine) that I was shocked that they were the same car.
My '81 injected X1/9 was all stock, and it was far faster than the earlier carbs and more driveable too. If you can start with a '81 plus you'd be better off.

racerdave600 HalfDork
3/14/11 3:34 p.m.

Steve's DSP X1/9 is without a doubt the best autocross car I've ever driven, and that includes Porsches, Vipers, Corvettes, open wheelers, you name it. You could do absolutely anything with it, and the turn-in and sheer grip were unbelievable. It also had awesome mid range torque, and could use every bit of power it made. I've never driven a 914 that even came close.
I've also driven his MR2, and although it's faster, it does it with hp and lot less weight. There's no comparison about which drives better, and Steve would agree, it's the X hands down. It's a scalpel compared to a sledge hammer. Where the X does everything with precision, the MR2 is simply violent.

Last edited:
how available and cheap UTs are there
I've noticed Uno's and X's seem to be somewhat common in So Africa.

Did you see the ad that was linked for a UT engine/trans from there? Not a bad price. It looks like with shipping it would be roughly $1000. Don't know anything about it.

Y'all are a bad influence! Love that Yellow X, one of my favorite wheels. I had Revolutions on my 1380 Mini.

The fellow I spoke with has a brother there that can access UTs. I'll ask him about them when I see him Tuesday.

I found one, USD $3400. A 1994 model, not sure this era Uno will work or not?

All Uno turbo and Punto GT turbo ENGINES can be made to work, it's the later (top change) transmission that isn't interchangeable.

the cost of the engine (just as with any conversion) is only going to be a small portion of the overall cost

SteveC

Steve, I'm not really a fan of turbos but it would be nice if the guy had a good source. I like the idea (so far ) of tweaking what I have.

I'm not a huge fan of hairdryers either, but they do have their place in the tuning world.

Tweaking what you have ... well without a manifold change or some serious porting , well...you'll probably be disappointed.

Your engine is compression / cam and flow limited... not really the best ingredients for the recipe.

SteveC

Back