A couple of interesting articles

As I was discussing with my siblings recently, modern technology will not necessarily improve the species or planet as humans tend to be morons.

the L word has been used many times to describe me. My parents generation fought a nasty global war to save us. My generation made lots of technical advancements but pretty much mucked up everything.

But this discussion is about to get nasty so I'm out, have a nice day.

Quite some time back in this thread I made a comment about electric vehicles being a temporary trend, ultimately to be replaced by synthetic fueled ("biofuel") ICE powered vehicles. Since then I've come across several reports that the top engineers at major car companies are still pursuing that direction for future designs. This article is related, but in a interesting way. It's about a upcoming major event (the Goodwood Revival), to include a vintage car race with only synthetic fuel powered cars:

Quite some time back in this thread I made a comment about electric vehicles being a temporary trend, ultimately to be replaced by synthetic fueled ("biofuel") ICE powered vehicles. Since then I've come across several reports that the top engineers at major car companies are still pursuing that direction for future designs. This article is related, but in a interesting way. It's about a upcoming major event (the Goodwood Revival), to include a vintage car race with only synthetic fuel powered cars:
There are a few questions that nobody seems to be able to answer yet about synthetic fuels:
  1. What are the emissions in an engine compared to gasoline?
  2. What is the energy to produce the fuel compared to gasoline?
  3. Backwards compatibility:
    1. Are these fuels a 1:1 substitute for gasoline?
    2. Can we put gasoline and synth-fuel into the same tank (in vehicle, in ground, etc.)?
    3. Can the same pipelines be used?
Similar questions are (rightly) being asked of electric vehicles.

I think events like this are good, and there is nothing wrong having options. I think vehicle power infrastructure is something we take for granted.

I get a kick out of articles that list "affordable" classics, or "cheap" sports cars, or "best entry level" vintage cars. They usually include a lot of models that are rare, expensive, and not reliable. Certainly not what I would consider affordable, cheap to keep, or good for a new comer. But there are a couple of decent choices in this article. It also has some related articles that come up at the bottom as you scroll down more.

I get a kick out of articles that list "affordable" classics, or "cheap" sports cars, or "best entry level" vintage cars. They usually include a lot of models that are rare, expensive, and not reliable. Certainly not what I would consider affordable, cheap to keep, or good for a new comer. But there are a couple of decent choices in this article. It also has some related articles that come up at the bottom as you scroll down more.

The Bauer convertible, I have seen three in my lifetime. Not what I would see as a likely candidate for this article. Imagine needing a part for that top.

Funny how it doesn’t list the Miata but does list the MR2. Lancia Scorpion but not the X1/9.

The Bauer convertible, I have seen three in my lifetime. Not what I would see as a likely candidate for this article. Imagine needing a part for that top.

Funny how it doesn’t list the Miata but does list the MR2. Lancia Scorpion but not the X1/9.
Agreed, I feel like the Z3 would have been a better choice than the Bauer. Miata/MX5 would be my go to sports car recommendation for most people wanting to get into an enthusiast car for the first time.

Overall, a solid list though.

Back