Still too tall at the cushion. Lacking the inset in the seat back will limit the distance the seat can go back.

I apologize but this is an exercise in futility :)

Seats are definitely chunky for an X. I'm picking up the donor 500 abarth hopefully this coming Tuesday so I can finally get to cutting and fabing.

Working with Matt at MWB on getting a replacement panel for the lower windshield portion.

1000001315.jpg

Just an update, started taking some things apart preparing to drop the engine. My compressor died so ended up buying a cordless impact (had trouble getting the axle nuts off). Makita impact worked awesome!

Engine cover sourced came in today. Picking up the 500 on Friday.

1000001371.jpg

Was that the 1 in Hamstead NH? Did you happen to look at the 500C Abarth?

Last edited:
Nothing too exciting...just started disassembling. Ordered timing belt kit for the abarth and a few other goodies. Also ordered a bottom replacement piece for the windshield on the X. Started to mock up a rough template for the tails. Going ro try and machine them at work.

Attachments

• 1000001399.jpg
    1000001399.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 92
Well... just documenting... havnt had to much time between work and the family but got the rads drained and off the car. You can finally see the 1.4l. Things are pretty dirty so engine and Trans will need a good cleaning. The oil and coolant lines on the turbo are ugly and may be changed to -an braided lines along the build.

Anyone know if this turbo can be clocked? Looks like it can but the IC inlet may get in the way of the wastegate?

1000001448.jpg
1000001449.jpg

375 screws later the dash is out lol

Going to need alot of chopping, plastic welding and modifying to get this dash in the X but looks like I can make it work. It will be flocked or wrapped in suede when i get to that point.

Going to take the cross brace support out of the 500 and modify it so I can retain some of the bracing and mounting points for the dash etc. Climatronic controls are def a no go. The automatic fan/heater core cluster is just way too big for the X. Going to take a better look when it's out of the car. Maybe can modify and cut it down to atleast keep
some functions.

1000001591.jpg
1000001595.jpg
1000001594.jpg

375 screws later the dash is out lol

Going to need alot of chopping, plastic welding and modifying to get this dash in the X but looks like I can make it work. It will be flocked or wrapped in suede when i get to that point.

Going to take the cross brace support out of the 500 and modify it so I can retain some of the bracing and mounting points for the dash etc. Climatronic controls are def a no go. The automatic fan/heater core cluster is just way too big for the X. Going to take a better look when it's out of the car. Maybe can modify and cut it down to atleast keep
some functions.

View attachment 77499View attachment 77500View attachment 77501
Holy isht that thing is huge!

Definitely need some chopping and channeling. I would definitely lose the hvac venting to get the depth down and get the instrument hood nearer the windscreen.

If it was me, I would fabricate some new bracketry to hang the IP onto versus trying to adapt much of that cross brace given the X has its own brace as part of the body structure.

You have chosen a difficult project.

Agree with removing some of the material near the windscreen so it fits better. Consider using the screen vent from the X1/9 and fitting it into the new dash. Might be easier than chopping and splicing but then again I see value in keeping as many mounting points as you can

I would take a measurement, if you can, from where your head will be while sitting in the car to the dash on both cars and try and keep it about the same. Also make sue the angle the dash is presented is the same. With all this effort I hope it comes out as well as it possibly can for you.

I absolutely love this project and would love to do something similar myself except how badly I know the Spanish authorities would take it. They didn't even let me change my seats!

Can't wait to see how you get on.

Holy isht that thing is huge!

Definitely need some chopping and channeling. I would definitely lose the hvac venting to get the depth down and get the instrument hood nearer the windscreen.

If it was me, I would fabricate some new bracketry to hang the IP onto versus trying to adapt much of that cross brace given the X has its own brace as part of the body structure.

You have chosen a difficult project.

Yes amazing how big it is and still more narrow than the X's dash. I will need to plastic weld some filler pieces on both sides about 2.5 to 3 inches.

All the ducting will be removed and dash will need to be cut kind of like this...difficult indeed...

1000001599.jpg

Because f the upright design of the abarths shifter assy, I needed to look for a replacement. This is the shifter "box" I will be adapting. This is a billet replacement for some Hondas and Acuras. Also came with some cables.
1000001631.jpg

Back