All of the Lurkers CHeck in Please

Hey... somehow, someway... go see Kelvin...

... he owes me 20 bucks.

Nah... not really, but he has one hell of an X. Give him my regards...

Also... How long will the "coast be clear" in New Hampshire???

Welcome Nick...

Since yur new here... you can be the FIRST FLU President for the SoCal X1/9 Chapter...

All in favor?

Nice car also!

Welcome Mike...

I LOVE those wheels!

Keep in touch from now on... everyone has SOMETHING to contribute even if its an OPINION!

Me Too!

My Father ran autocrosses back in the 60's with his coupe and took several FTD with it. When asked about where he was breaking at on the course....he replied "Breaking? I am not going fast enough to break!"

I would love to put a built 1500cc X-1/9 engine in the back seat of an 850 Coupe! Wouldn't that be a blast!

Eric

How about this little gem.... 850 Spider with 1800cc engine...

DSC03304.jpg

DSC03305.jpg

DSC03322.jpg

DSC03323.jpg

DSC03324.jpg

Hiya Papa Tony!

Therapy is good, one day, they tell me, I will be fit enough to hang out on Xweb and not have flashbacks :bla: :D

HAHAHA... I see my shrink today...

... at 1:30 for lunch...

That's how it gets after a decade or so... Funny, he never mentioned that Xweb just might be a contributing factor to my INSANITY... I always thought it was what kept me SANE!

I believe that is Merkels with a 1438 reverse rotation motor. Its a pretty nice car (to put it mildly).

What type of transaxle ?

Whats the engine mated to ?

I'm thinking of picking up an 850 with a 124 engine so i'm doing some homework.

The engine uses special cam shafts to reverse the timing of the intake and exhaust strokes. The pistons still go up and down in the same way its just the timing of the valve openings that change relative to changing the ignition order and timing.

The transmission is standard 850 but uses a longer final drive from an 850 Sedan. If one can find it one could use the final drive from a Simca 1000 or if you can find a dead Abarth 850 with a pushrod 124 engine.

The standard 850 engine is a reverse rotation unit but can be changed to standard (CW) by replacing the timing chain and gears with a pair of gears to use an 850 engine in a 600.

PBS offered parts for this conversion (124 engine in a 850) as you also need a different bell housing, starter, engine mount crossmember, moving the radiator and so on.

If one is very interested in this line of Fiat insanity, find Greg Schmidts' Fiat and Abarth Tricks book, which do appear on eBay from time to time. There are a set of reverse rotation gears for 850/600/Autobianchi engines on eBay right now being sold by Jeff Stich. If you go over to Mira Fiori there are several experts over there who can go over this chapter and verse.

Of course one could ask Merkel since he has an actual Abarth 850 Coupe, the Spider shown above and several reverse rotation Autobianchi 1000cc RR conversions in his stable of 850s.

Karl... INSANITY is right...

I can't believe what some folks will go through... but I can see doing it to an engine that is twice the size.

Nice little "surprise" for the masses!

HA!

I was hoping that we would have at least 2 or 3 of the Lurkers I know in SoCal check in here.... I know they own Xs also...You know who you are living in Laguna Beach...:)

Hi Folks,

I don't own an X 1/9 either, but I do have a 128-3P. The "other forum" seems to cater to mostly spiders, so I lurk here 'cause we share the same drive-train and similar suspensions, etc...and because you guys have all these cool pictures you post, too.

I got my 128 last fall as a winter project...the winters being quite long here in No. Wisconsin. Mine is a 1976 model and the first FIAT I've ever owned. She's in pretty good shape with a strong engine, decent transmission, and all body parts present. I have a lot of fun driving around on the back roads. 45 mph feels like 65 in a 128, so I can enjoy myself "making haste, slowly."

Appreciate the chance to say, "hi," and hope everyone stays safe.

John

Let's see some pics John

Hi Folks,

I don't own an X 1/9 either, but I do have a 128-3P.

Welcome John. My good buddy Jeremy posts here with his 128 sedan. Of course, he does have an X1/9 1500 on a stand in his garage, so maybe that's why we tolerate him. :grin:

People love that 128 at car shows.

Lets see if this works...

Here is my 128 when I got her last fall:

FIAT1283P079.jpg

Complete with those horrible 5mph bumpers.

And here she is this spring:

1283P0410LF.jpg

So, if that worked, you should be able to notice that I lowered the suspension and removed the bumpers. All the other other work done over the winter (front suspension, brakes, etc.) will not be evident from the photo.

John

Back