Alternative gearbox for X1/9 from VW, Audi (WAG group)

Has anyone tried to fit alternative gearbox?

From 1.6 16v? Some vw?

Mine just exploded :D

Both. 😀

5-speed top shifted as on 16V fits but needs shifter adapted, cable shifter can be used. Much stronger than our trans.

Golf transmission was adapted by a drag racer.

Both solutions aren‘t really documented so need to be figured out.

These may be worth a read.

Last edited:
Ouch - I'd love to know how that happened!!

My guess is this: http://www.vayardo.com/SuperTopo/Tech/X19Tech/Transmission/BlownTranny.html

1633364456773.png

I went to the car where I left it on Sunday and all gears worked before turned engine on. It drives. Not always can shift into 2nd or jumps out of it.
Haven’t dared to shift into 5th where that bang happened. It wasn’t like very very loud. After that I couldn’t shift into any gear.

Now it has like very bad bearing noise when deaccelerating .

I haven’t decided yet what am going to do.
A lot of thing to consider

Thanks Steve for the offer, but I don’t see myself as the person who is respectful enough about these Fiats and treats them enough to install gearbox that You have rebuilt.

Two options that I’m thinking about that could be reliable ones:
•full drivetrain swap from Audi/VW 1.8 turbo
•adapting gearbox from VW golf

Looking back at the previous discussions about using alternatives (as in the links posted earlier), I recall having the same thoughts then as I do now. If you go through all the effort to make a different gearbox fit in the X, then why not also include the engine that came with that gearbox. In other words, why put a better box on the Fiat engine? I'd rather do a complete swap and replace the whole drivetrain for something more robust, reliable, higher performance, and greater availability to upgrades. That being said my current project X's still retain the original Fiat engines and gearboxes. But if I ever decided to swap one component (engine or gearbox) to something else, then I'd do all of it. In the end it won't be any more work than trying to fit two non compatible components together. Just my opinion.

Gearbox still works, but am not risking to use it anymore after it felt like get blocked for 1/10 of second.

@Ulix while searching for keywords on Facebook for Fiat 16v gearbox in Punto GT, found a guy from Hungary who has put VW 02A gearbox in combination with Fiat 128 SOHC engine in his X19 drag car. We are going to have a talk about details tomorrow.

I have never had any experience with VW, and by searching parts that I might need to adapt, found out that my VW box 020 has different clutch setup- there is a rod through input shaft, not throwout bearing. 02A box is more similar to X.

Still had no luck to find 16v box adapted to X / UT / Punto GT. And again, while typing this, remembered that I have UT stub shaft - will try to find some 16v box and check- are splines the same in differentials.

I have never had any experience with VW, and by searching parts that I might need to adapt, found out that my VW box 020 has different clutch setup- there is a rod through input shaft, not throwout bearing. 02A box is more similar to X.
Apparently some varieties of the 020 transmission is best avoided. According to this write-up, it applies to close ratio boxes manufactured between '82 and '86.

The 020 and 02A boxes have the same mounting surface where they attach to the engine. And they are almost the same dimensions all around. The mounts that attach the boxes to the car's frame are different, but there are adaptor kits to allow a 02A box in a car that came with a 020. The clutch arrangement is a bit different but not a problem. One uses a cable the other is hydraulic. Again, there are adaptors to convert them. So if the 02A was made to fit the SOHC then a 020 could also. But overall the 02A is stronger and a better design so the 02A is the better choice, especially if a higher power (i.e. turbo) engine is being used. That being said, the 020 is still stronger than the X's box.

I'm curious how they made the VW trans fit the SOHC.

Took off unnecessary things off the gearbox and after that weight is ~40kg.

Couldn’t peek by simple methods into gearbox and see diff, I don’t believe there is any kind of LSD, but if stub shafts are rotated in separete directions, it is not as easy as on X gearbox.
I thought it has shift pattern as on X, but unfortunately pattern is like on BMW.
I like BMW pattern, but when it is on BmW :D

also reconsidered how to pinpoint coordinates of holes to my previous idea, will make a double sided cone which will centrr in hole precisely and also targetiing laser beam to it would be easier.

Clutch slave cylinder diameter is same on this particular gearbox as on the X1/9 =19.05mm.
Clutch master on X =19.05mm
Clutch master on particular Golf =15.87mm (area of circle 1.22 smaller). I hope this wonn’t be an issue.

I hope adapter piece for flexi line won’t be something hard to get/order.

F052F3F7-7C10-46E3-9CB9-8650435738AF.jpeg

Most likely not a true LSD. They often had a form of friction cone on one stub-axle to help control spinning. LSD units are available for them but costly.

If you use the larger (Fiat) master cylinder on it then the clutch will feel about the same as the X's clutch did. Compared to how it feels on a VW it will be harder to push but the pedal doesn't need to move as far.

To adapt the VW slave cylinder to the X, I'd cut off the end of the X's hardline just before the flexline, replace the nut to match VW (very common size), and reflare it (also same bubble flare on both). Then you can use a VW flexline to the cylinder.

was short of few hours today, engine is not out yet.

If someone has X19 gearbox by hand l, could please tell the distance from mounting surface to input shaft?

Otherwise it will be hard to fall asleep :D
37425A3A-92A7-40F2-A955-30DE76996056.jpeg

Back