Alternative gearbox for X1/9 from VW, Audi (WAG group)

Most likely when this will be finished, I might offer a kit, that will include:
adapter plate, shifter, clutch cylinder flexi hose and shifter cables ( not for free :D ) .
I hope that extra mountings or brackets for gearbox won’t be needed

*edit- info/reminder for myself
•speedometer
-timing
-vw starter motor cover
-bolts

Last edited:
Few more templates will be made, till order it to be milled on CNC.
078643AC-DA34-4982-B5C7-B6BA9AEF4B12.jpeg

61375221-E84E-4208-BE78-B52B61F2FEAF.jpeg

here is a link of list with VW 02J gearboxes with different gear and final drive ratios.
(02A might work as well with this adapter but it has become rare and expensive)

and here is list of Audi 02J gearboxes

Posted this on instagram and it appears that meantime another X owner from Israel is doing same with Fiat 16v gearbox.
Told that wish to knew VW option sooner

Fitment of adapter seems ok.

Gearbox hits chassis on ussual place.

I am going to cut off mounting points from VW box and make a cut on the left longeron to make it fit.

And here is question to You:
a: make a vertical cut only on longeron and keep box intact
b: make angled cuts on longeron and cut off mounting points from box

Which of these options seems like could be made from factory in 70’s ?

Patch will be included in the kit.

* I prefer B

1.picture stock
2.a
3.b
4.&5 How Ákos Radics did it
EC0D5E26-D042-47B8-BD19-2AE4A5E4639E.jpeg
E7C39832-1F87-4B7C-B83B-197F367BE4D0.jpeg
251CC16C-8110-40CF-9752-952F062B13CE.jpeg

CE0686CB-508D-4A70-8B07-D3836BA9DB48.png
818F0659-2754-4EE3-B002-AE7DA24213C7.png

With stock gearbox the weight distribution is even (left/right and front/rear) at the lower mount. -The engine and box are more ore less balancing on this mount. Is the VW box heavier? Will the weight distribution change that much, requiring an extra mount?
I am looking forward to see how you solve the cable issue.

With stock gearbox the weight distribution is even (left/right and front/rear) at the lower mount. -The engine and box are more ore less balancing on this mount. Is the VW box heavier? Will the weight distribution change that much, requiring an extra mount?
I am looking forward to see how you solve the cable issue.
Not really.

The engine cantilevers the load of the gearbox as the engine has its three points of attachment. Right snail mount, upper torque mount and then the trailing end of the block/transmission face mounting. This cantilevers the transmission off the end. In regards to left right balance this does help offset some of the considerably greater engine weight from the right side. This is also why the lower mount gets squashed as it is seeing a very high load relatively speaking. When you undo the snail mount the engine does not lift up on the right side so it is not ‘balanced’.

I tend to agree that the left transmission based mount in this instance is not needed for an X, hopefully the VW transmission isn’t any heavier.

Cutting the mounting bosses off entirely could greatly reduce the amount of body change required from what can be seen in these images.

I wonder if the GM Getrag transmission ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getrag_F23_transmission other possibilities would be the M32/M20 depending on engine output) would be another good candidate for this with its three intenal shafts to shorten the case. These are also available world wide. I have not looked (recently) at the starter location on these so it may be just as bad as the 500 series transmission for an X. This is not to cast any sort of negative on this effort which is great.

Last edited:
VW box is ~40kg +adapters weight.
A little bit heavier than X, don’t have numbers at the moment.

Starter location is not an issue if adapter is used- it will be where it was originally.

VW box is 12mm shorter, but adapter will be 16 mm, and again VW box is beafier than X’s.

476F907C-E13F-4374-90D5-B070AC8153BE.jpeg

I would go with a) if looks is the only concern.
I am hoping that you din‘t need to cut very much when you have the mounting points of the trans removed.

Regarding the additional ("left" side) transmission mount on the VW trans. I actually think a extra mount in that location would be a good idea, even for the stock Fiat trans. That should reduce the load on the lower (center) mount, allowing it to live longer.

If inspectors here will notice that it is not stock box and that I have welded some brackets on longeron to support it, my X might never be street legal again.

@Bjorn Nilson
cable mechanism most likely will be similar as on VW

Am waiting for quotes of CNC milled adapters.
First said that can’t guarantee so small tolerances.
Second that is not interested in small batches.
And third told a price that would be normal in Norway or any other wealthy country.
Will wait for few more quotes.

@Ulix , I haven’t made any cuts yet. Will make them only when will be 100% sure which is the best way to keep it rigid and look as stock as possible.

Just got another quote 635€ +taxes=768€
batch of 4 would cost 1962€
That is ridicoulus.

It would be cheaper to buy 3axis CNC mill and start my own buisness 😅

Figured out how could mill precise adapter if no better offer will appear, with manual 3axis mill and some specific template.

Back