Bertone 1500, smoke from breather, rings and valves seem ok.

No - nothing special required.
Mmmm, this is a big topic - but I somewhat disagree. Flat tappets require adequate ZDDP. Modern oils have low zinc. Might not be an issue, but why take a chance.

On the topic of cooling system bleeding - THIS is the solution!! Lisle spill free funnel. It's amazing! I used to point my nose down, but no longer needed with this thing. The cooling system will burp itself through the funnel and some minor bleeding at the radiator is all you need.

Lisle 24680

1710434446042.png

If you have a carb with auto choke, I found (when I had one) this to be a great place to bleed the air out of the cooling system. It is possible to put both hoses into a jar with some coolant in it and this allows the coolant to bubble out with the engine running. Then its just a quick reattach and you are good to go.

Ok Thanks,
I took it out for spin and the car runned quite well Im happy with it !
I will check for the air purge of the rad, I didnt know it could be done.

Next step is the exhaust and a fabric style targa top !
How are you designing a fabric targa top? I prototypes one made out of the flexible plastic used on convertibles. Will work to protect the interior if caught in a rain storm (but will not work when driving). My objective is to create a light top that I can roll up and store in the rear trunk that isn't so heavy to install.

How are you designing a fabric targa top? I prototypes one made out of the flexible plastic used on convertibles. Will work to protect the interior if caught in a rain storm (but will not work when driving). My objective is to create a light top that I can roll up and store in the rear trunk that isn't so heavy to install.
Here are a couple of related threads. Read through them for some ideas:

Actually I completly forgot but I will take photo of all the steps and post here on the forum ! I just received the fabric yesterday, its a fabric used on boats, Its dirt cheap (Im on low budget..) and I bought 2 so its ok if I make a mistake at first...

I have a heavy fiberglass top with my X. Its relly thick and good for isolation. I bought another one to transform it. The heavy one I have is 10kg, the spare one (its kind of bare, not fancy) is 8.5kg. Im gonna cut it tomorrow and tell you guys the weight.

Im a pretty tall guy but manipulating the top to put it in the frunk is really annoying, lets be honest... its too heavy...

I
Regarding oil, I just want to point it out : I dont have ANY recommended oil from this forum nor from the wiki... especially the one with Zinc.
So I guess I should just use whatever 15W40 and add addictive with it ? Thanks...
I use Valvoline VR1 Racing oil 20/50

I don’t use additives.

I'm currently using Castrol GTX 20W50 with a ZDDP additive. I found out from Castrol that they now have a high ZDDP version of GTX. It is called GTX Classic. It was being sold at Walmart and Amazon as of about a year ago. I have not changed my oil in several years as I've only got about 1,000 miles on the new motor. It may be a while before my next oil change.

Regarding oil, I just want to point it out : I dont have ANY recommended oil from this forum nor from the wiki... especially the one with Zinc.
So I guess I should just use whatever 15W40 and add addictive with it ? Thanks...
There have been PLENTY of threads discussing oils for the X, with lots of recommendations. However choice of oil is a rather subjective subject so you'll find many different recommendations. But I think it is pretty much agreed that vintage engine designs like the X (flat tappet cam) will benefit from a oil with a zinc level above that of most "regular" oils. After that it gets personal. But thanks to the popularity of other vintage vehicles like muscle cars there are a number of specialty oils available with zinc now.

I read a interesting technical article about aftermarket oil additives. From a chemistry perspective modern oils are rather sophisticated with complex "additive" blends as part of their design. The article made a great case for how the use of any additional additives can easily cause unwanted chemical changes, making them worse rather than better.

There have been PLENTY of threads discussing oils for the X, with lots of recommendations. However choice of oil is a rather subjective subject so you'll find many different recommendations. But I think it is pretty much agreed that vintage engine designs like the X (flat tappet cam) will benefit from a oil with a zinc level above that of most "regular" oils. After that it gets personal. But thanks to the popularity of other vintage vehicles like muscle cars there are a number of specialty oils available with zinc now.

I read a interesting technical article about aftermarket oil additives. From a chemistry perspective modern oils are rather sophisticated with complex "additive" blends as part of their design. The article made a great case for how the use of any additional additives can easily cause unwanted chemical changes, making them worse rather than better.
Hi guys,
Sorry I wasnt so clear, Im in France... this is worst than Europe (at large) for anything related to cars.
- Nothing much on amazon,
- Cannot buy much from UK because of Brexit
- Cannot buy anything from the US.
- Some stuff from Germany or Italy but weeks/months for delivery.
- For instance, found 1 website in France that sold me a kit for my carburetor, not overpriced and arrived in 3 days, this is very rare.

There is not even a mechanic type of shop in France. You will have generalist shop that will sell you coolant and oil, tires... and some oil filters and modern car small stuff there and there, thats it. Very frustrating.

Even simple recommended paint product or cleaning product are super hard to find. I cannot even follow some simple YT tutorial about painting or cleaning because we dont have access here to the right product. And you know what is happening when you use the wrong product ;)

Thanks Jeff for your insights, you are right I dont think additive is the best way, its way better to find the correct oil to start with !

Hi guys,
Sorry I wasnt so clear, Im in France... this is worst than Europe (at large) for anything related to cars.
- Nothing much on amazon,
- Cannot buy much from UK because of Brexit
- Cannot buy anything from the US.
- Some stuff from Germany or Italy but weeks/months for delivery.
- For instance, found 1 website in France that sold me a kit for my carburetor, not overpriced and arrived in 3 days, this is very rare.

There is not even a mechanic type of shop in France. You will have generalist shop that will sell you coolant and oil, tires... and some oil filters and modern car small stuff there and there, thats it. Very frustrating.

Even simple recommended paint product or cleaning product are super hard to find. I cannot even follow some simple YT tutorial about painting or cleaning because we dont have access here to the right product. And you know what is happening when you use the wrong product ;)

Thanks Jeff for your insights, you are right I dont think additive is the best way, its way better to find the correct oil to start with !
Wow, I did not realize France has so little available. That is frustrating, and surprising in today's world. Is it like that all over the country, or only in some areas?

Like Steve said in the prior post there are oils made in France that you should be able to find hopefully.

Wow, I did not realize France has so little available. That is frustrating, and surprising in today's world. Is it like that all over the country, or only in some areas?

Like Steve said in the prior post there are oils made in France that you should be able to find hopefully.

You wont notice if you are not into motorsport... but yeah... also no real racing around like there is in the UK... Very few classic car competition etc...
It always blows my mind when I watch a youtube video about a revival and the guy just casual walks into a Oreilly to find a carburetor refurbish kit, or a starter, or else...

That been said, I have been into Puglia (south italy) , it was even worst than France, no amazon prime or big mall for car equipment.
I found Valvoline VR1 Racing oil 20/50 this one on amazon prime tho, the only one I could find for now.

But yeah Im planning in the future to come to the UK for instance, to see some classic racing, mini racing etc... looks really cool !

By the way, you may know that from this year on, no French GP for Formula One. Despite them spending a lot of money to renew the track etc... So before you could join some trackdays on this Paul Ricard race track... but now it has been refurbished, the price are insanely high (500/1000$) for just go on the track with your car.

Only good thing is the Le Mans Event !

You wont notice if you are not into motorsport... but yeah... also no real racing around like there is in the UK... Very few classic car competition etc...
It always blows my mind when I watch a youtube video about a revival and the guy just casual walks into a Oreilly to find a carburetor refurbish kit, or a starter, or else...

That been said, I have been into Puglia (south italy) , it was even worst than France, no amazon prime or big mall for car equipment.
I found Valvoline VR1 Racing oil 20/50 this one on amazon prime tho, the only one I could find for now.

But yeah Im planning in the future to come to the UK for instance, to see some classic racing, mini racing etc... looks really cool !

By the way, you may know that from this year on, no French GP for Formula One. Despite them spending a lot of money to renew the track etc... So before you could join some trackdays on this Paul Ricard race track... but now it has been refurbished, the price are insanely high (500/1000$) for just go on the track with your car.

Given that France has a strong history in motor racing (especially in the early years) I would have thought things would be very different. :oops:

Check the Valvoline you are looking at to make sure it is the one with a high zinc level. Not all of the Valvoline VR1 oils here do. It may be different there though.

? France has a lot of classic car activity and a racing calendar. And circuits like this https://www.masduclos.com/accueil-circuit [beautiful] and track days galore. https://en.europatrackdays.com/calendar-aroundcountry/fr

What am I mising?

? France has a lot of classic car activity and a racing calendar. And circuits like this https://www.masduclos.com/accueil-circuit [beautiful] and track days galore. https://en.europatrackdays.com/calendar-aroundcountry/fr

What am I mising?
Thanks Steve, this link with all the event in europe is awesome !

Yes they are events, also in rallye (albeit if itsnt WRC itsnt very interesting in south of France, climate is too good I presume...)
I would go to Circuit du Var which is a small track that is pretty good with some open track day.

I was more talking about classic car racing and also fun car racing like in the US.
But most important is there are not many shops.

It just worst now with brexit/EU tax, same with Trump/EU tax.
I remember not long ago, EU put a 50% tax on any US good, and also need to pay paper work even for small packages.
I have noticed many UK websites wouldnt ship to EU if itsnt more than 200$.

Back