Best tire size for wheel upgrade

yogimd

Low Mileage
Hi. I am new to Xweb (and just got my first x1/9) and could use some guidance. I got a set of NIB original 1969 BWA alloy wheels that are 13" x 5.5" (they are 4x98) and want to dress her up with new rubber. I gather from some other posts that I could find here that I may have some concerns with the front if I go too big but since I will change all the tires I might as well know my options (e.g. how large I can go without changing the springs in the front, and if I do how big a deal is that?) Thoughts and wisdom greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1711.jpg
    IMG_1711.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1700.jpg
    IMG_1700.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 88
There is no simple answer to your question.
You need to know the backspace dimension of the wheels that you want to use. The factory wheels had backspace dimensions which placed the tire in the center of the available space. If the backspace dimension is less than OE, the inside sidewall of your tires might rub against the strut and when turning tight to the left, the inside rear corner of the tread might rub the inside fenderwell. If your wheels have too much backspace the tires might rub the outside fender. 175/70R13 Michelin Defenders will fit without rubbing if the backspace dimension of your wheels is the same as the 5 1/2 x 13 "Iron Cross" wheels which is 101mm. If your car has been lowered from stock, it is more likely to rub. If the tires you have chosen are wider in cross section than the OE 145, 165 or 185mm, there is more chance of rubbing.

There is no simple answer to your question.
You need to know the backspace dimension of the wheels that you want to use. The factory wheels had backspace dimensions which placed the tire in the center of the available space. If the backspace dimension is less than OE, the inside sidewall of your tires might rub against the strut and when turning tight to the left, the inside rear corner of the tread might rub the inside fenderwell. If your wheels have too much backspace the tires might rub the outside fender. 175/70R13 Michelin Defenders will fit without rubbing if the backspace dimension of your wheels is the same as the 5 1/2 x 13 "Iron Cross" wheels which is 101mm. If your car has been lowered from stock, it is more likely to rub. If the tires you have chosen are wider in cross section than the OE 145, 165 or 185mm, there is more chance of rubbing.
I can get that info but I understand. Thanks.

Nice looking set of wheels. BWA is a reknown manufacturer, you can sleep in peace! Ideally, like Johnph said, we would need to know the offset or the backspace of the wheels. Both (offset and backspace) are different measurement, but both will provide us the info needed. But we a 5.5 wide wheels, I don't think there is going to be any problem. The problem will be to find decent tire in the 13" size.

You will have to choose between:
a) some Chinese made tires
b) order some known name from Europe
c) using R-compound tires, which will stick a lot, wear faster than regular street tires and, for some people, are annoying because they tend to get all the small rocks to stick to the tire and pitched inside the wheelwell.

Do some research on the forum (there is a small box at the top right saying "search") about "best tire 13" or something like that. You will find a few recent discussions about that and recommendations.

Are the boxes marked? there is an "ET" spec on many euro wheels, denoting backspace; possibly on the back of the wheel, I see it's not on the face.

3.75 inches or 95mm
Most of the "stock" wheels (steel or alloy) for the X have a backspace of 102mm or 4.01 inches. You may need to remove the stock 5mm spacer from the rotor at each corner to get the wheel and tire to fit a little better.

Back