Camshaft whistle issue

Hello, I have a 128 with the same issue, I found it was the buckets sliding in and out of the cam box, cam box is warn out a bit , try and source one with less miles, good luck
Nice find!, maybe I have also this issue but mine cambox and the regrind cam have also some problem.

Thanks for sharing you experience.

The whistle issue is solve.
Installed a used Cambox in good shape and replace the camshaft by a new Euro Fiat Rally camshaft #4331512.

The idle is more lumpy and it is normal with this camshaft and original FI module.
I set my iddle about ~1000-1075 RPM.

I can't wait for next spring to take a drive!

Lumpy iddle video

@Yves , what did you do to resolve the lack of shim thickness / lack of lash clearance issue? Did you reface the tips of the valve stems?

I also notice you still have the single outlet exhaust manifold and single front pipe on your car, if you're looking for better power / drivability then you should give some thought to using a dual outlet cast iron OE manifold and have a front pipe fabricated to join to the rest of the exhaust system ... it will amplify the effect of the better cam and the raised static compression ratio.

SteveC

@Yves , what did you do to resolve the lack of shim thickness / lack of lash clearance issue? Did you reface the tips of the valve stems?

I also notice you still have the single outlet exhaust manifold and single front pipe on your car, if you're looking for better power / drivability then you should give some thought to using a dual outlet cast iron OE manifold and have a front pipe fabricated to join to the rest of the exhaust system ... it will amplify the effect of the better cam and the raised static compression ratio.

SteveC
Steve,
Yes, the tips of the valves stems have been shave about 0.4 mm.
Also I installed a ticker gasket Cambox tower ( 0.031" /0.79mm) thick.

I agree with you, with a dual outlet cast iron OE manifold with the personalize front pipe that will be better. If the opportunity is there I will think about that change.

I use the car only for my pleasure of drive it. I don’t do any track, race or other competitive activities.
My main goal it is to have reliable car to travel long trip free of problem.

The whistle issue is solve.
Installed a used Cambox in good shape and replace the camshaft by a new Euro Fiat Rally camshaft #4331512.

The idle is more lumpy and it is normal with this camshaft and original FI module.
I set my iddle about ~1000-1075 RPM.

I can't wait for next spring to take a drive!

Lumpy iddle video
Same cam I put in my 1300, the idle is lumpy at the standard initial ignition advance, it likes more 10deg +, a recurve of the distributor is on the cards, need to get around to it…

Back