Reminded me of an old fashioned drum brake multi-tool:

$(KGrHqFHJDkFJdd!i40!BS,MyoUSBg~~_32.JPG

Two things...

1. What about the "pennies between the coils" approach?

2. Since I picked up my '79 in '83, I've never seen a spring there... and have never run one since... Three clutches, three transmissions, three clutch masters, four clutch slaves, 173K.)

Do you really think the spring should be necessary though???

pertinent, my spring's been off since last year some time when I ditched it since it conflicted with the off kilter "sweet spot" caused by my "custom" T/O bearing (upside down).
Now that the bearing is right way up I'm going to put the spring back on just to see if I like it or not.
Nice tool. Wonder if there's room for it 'in situ" or not.
I've got coins and washers still in the coils from last year.

There is also a clutch pedal height adjustment too. Above the pedal, below the pedal shaft is a set screw (M12 x 1.5 thread) with a 19mm nut. This is used to set the height of the pedal and free travel between the pedal and clutch master cylinder.

If all is working properly with good cylinders and good clutch, the spring helps slow the clutch engagement just enough as it goes over center to significantly improve pedal feel.

There is a similar adjustment for the brake pedal using the brake light switch. That brake switch should have a rubber stop between the switch mount and pedal. It should be adjusted so both clutch and brake pedal are the same height at rest.

When all is proper, the pedal position of clutch, brake and throttle are very good in the exxe. It is properly designed for toe-heel, fast driving foot action. Consider for a moment how many modern cars have pedals designed this way?

Bernice

pertinent, my spring's been off since last year some time when I ditched it since it conflicted with the off kilter "sweet spot" caused by my "custom" T/O bearing (upside down).
Now that the bearing is right way up I'm going to put the spring back on just to see if I like it or not.
Nice tool. Wonder if there's room for it 'in situ" or not.
I've got coins and washers still in the coils from last year.

OOOH! Replacing That Spring In the Car

With nothing but a BIG Screwdriver and your face in this position is JUST SO MUCH FUN.

As I understand it, when properly adjusted, once past the Over center mark, the Spring offers some assistance with the pedal pressure required as the Clutch Pressure plate also starts pushing back. This is helpful at stoplights when there isn't enough room for your Left foot to get a good leverage angle on it because your Right Foot on the Brake is in the way.
You'd think it would be the tendons on the Front of your calf/ankle, but mine start hurting on the backside from twisting my leg sideways to just get my toe in there.

put mine on last night, washers between coils, still won't reach with out a stretch, used a screwdriver to pry it on, trapping said screwdriver under spring, tough to pull out, not a big deal, can't imagine doing it without coil separators, Bernice's tool would be the bomb, don't know if there's room for that long a lever when pedal box is bolted on though. I"m not sure I like the spring or not, really changes the feel of the pedal, I'll get used to it again. I could have used it in a couple traffic jams recently. I will say that if the geometry is off the spring can be much more of a hindrance than a help though, before I sorted my issues, I had to fight the spring a the wrong times, making it a major pain.

Removed spring again. While I like the lightened feel of the spring, just can't stand the vague spot. With spring on, when pedal gets close to all down it goes into limbo, almost no pressure needed so as I release to take off from a dead stop, letting pedal up, just as clutch begins to disengage, the spring begins to "help" meaning I have to compensate with my foot, lurching results, no like. Anyone else deal with this? I believe the adjustment referred to by Bernice just sets pedal height, right?
I'm tempted to raise the stop bolt in the floor so pedal can't go that low but of course wonder if that'd be enough engagement to properly actuate clutch, can test I guess. I suppose the point at which movement of car starts/stops is all you need, anymore is "wasted".

Apply the Fiat service manual for clutch pedal height, pedal travel adjustment and clutch slave adjustment with the spring assembly first and see how it goes. The clutch should engage just before the over center action from the spring assembly. If all is working properly and adjusted properly. There is enough adjustment variety to result in good clutch feel and action.

BTW, Saab has a similar over center spring clutch action.

Bernice

Removed spring again. While I like the lightened feel of the spring, just can't stand the vague spot. With spring on, when pedal gets close to all down it goes into limbo, almost no pressure needed so as I release to take off from a dead stop, letting pedal up, just as clutch begins to disengage, the spring begins to "help" meaning I have to compensate with my foot, lurching results, no like. Anyone else deal with this? I believe the adjustment referred to by Bernice just sets pedal height, right?
I'm tempted to raise the stop bolt in the floor so pedal can't go that low but of course wonder if that'd be enough engagement to properly actuate clutch, can test I guess. I suppose the point at which movement of car starts/stops is all you need, anymore is "wasted".

Yeah Jeff... with the pedal assembly AND the...

adjustable rod in the rear... there are several ways you can move, improve, or destroy the clutch action and feel. I think it took me three days of futzing around every so often after I changed my last slave to get the pedal and feel where I wanted it, and liked it.

As I said many times before... Since '83 when I first had a new clutch installed and had the trans overhauled... I have NEVER seen a spring on my pedal assembly. I doubt the first two owners (in four years, one only had it a few months...) ever messed with it or removed it. The mounts are there though! I see the spring as kind of a "crutch" as the pressure plate and hydraulics have proven to me that it is not needed, nor wanted.

Your option...

Yep, maybe they wanted a lighter clutch to appeal to hair dressers?
I raised the stop bolt and limited the pedal's travel. That might do it. May try spring again. It's all just for academia, it works fine without.

Apply the Fiat service manual for clutch pedal height, pedal travel adjustment and clutch slave adjustment with the spring assembly first and see how it goes. The clutch should engage just before the over center action from the spring assembly. If all is working properly and adjusted properly. There is enough adjustment variety to result in good clutch feel and action.
BTW, Saab has a similar over center spring clutch action.
Bernice

found my old thread

Last edited:
Back