Confusion confusion

DSpieg

True Classic
Why, when they see an X1/9, do so many Americans (in my experience anyway) confuse it with the Triumph TR7? I can barely recall seeing any TR7s when they were new. Wikipedia says more Fiats were built than the Triumph. I can understand our cars being mistaken for MR-2s or Fieros or Porsche 914s, but why the TR7? This is a very important question, the future of civilization depends on the answer.

Well, they are similar in looks. I parked next to one at a car show and the owner and I had some fun as the folks came by to look at and talk about our cars. There were more than a couple folks that figured they were the same car. Of course, we were the only two non-US, non muscle cars at the show. I wasn't even sure if this car was a TR-7. Wasn't there a TR-8? I think this one might have the V8.

Update: Jim, look at your own picture dammit, the car says TR-8 on the nose. DUH! :confused:

20180826_120951.jpg

Because there was a fairly extensive TV ad campaign for the TR-7. "The shape of things to come."

While there were more X1/9s on the road, more people saw the TR-7 TV ad and didn't differentiate the two cars.

When I was daily driving an X in my youth, it was often thought to be a TR-7. I had a friend in College that drove one.

When I was autocrossing the car in the late 80s and early 90s, it was thought to be an MR2 or Fiero.

Recently I was alongside a original Mk1 Mazda RX7 at a stop light. I'd forgotten how much it also resembles the X1/9 in general size and shape. The later generations of RX 7 are very different, but a bone stock early one is similar enough that I'd expect more people to think of the X as a Mazda...but I don't hear that one much.

It was the shape of things to come…

The ad campaign we very effective, it basically owned the concept of a wedge design as Steve points out.

British cars were very popular for a long time in America, regardless of how many were actually produced. Somewhere I read that for some models of British car (don't recall which models), at one point most of the ones built were for export to the US. Americans really seemed to be attracted to them and they were well known. But I agree the TR7 was at the tail end of British car popularity and not nearly as well known as previous models.

More than ten years ago…. it’s voting day and I drive orange X1/9 to my polling place…. woman outside handing out flyers stops me, introduces herself…. she’s running for school board, asking everyone look at her campaign flyer and vote for her…. conversation follows:
Nice School Board Candidate Lady: That’s a nice car, haven’t seen one in years since my father ran a British auto shop
Me: British?
NSBCL: Yes, I’d recognize a Triumph anywhere
Me: Close, but it’s not a TR7, it’s a Fiat
NSBCL: Oh, a Fix It Again Tony
Me: Well, at least you aren’t pandering to the voters

I had a similar experience but just the opposite. I was at the checkout register of a store and the cashier (a older woman) recognized the image on my shirt. And she got it right! I was rather surprised and ask how she knew. Her deceased husband had one at one time. :cool:

For about 10 years I trailered my X1/9 racecars, on open trailers, across the US. 25 to 30K miles annually. I was regularly approached at fuel stops and asked about the car.

It was most often assumed to be a Fiero, occasionally an MR2 but I don't recall anybody thinking it was an RX7 but I understand the resemblance.

Most often was "What is it?"

Of the people that recognized it, the most common comment was: "I used to have one. Should have never sold it."

That "shape of things to come add" use to really bug me.... alot. Bertone was out front a decade earlier with wedge designs, and what gets that call out? The copy cat. I think that is when I started to see how the world really works.

Of the people that recognized it, the most common comment was: "I used to have one. Should have never sold it."
You are lucky. 9/10 of the people who showed interest in my Fiat or Bertone said "Nice Triumph, I used to have one."

And yes, I'm in shock when somebody recognized an x1/9. But in Canada, we never had the Bertone, so they are intrigued by the logos on my 1987 Bertone.

Several years ago I had a 124 “BC” Coupe and I had all too many people comment “nice Datsun”….especially interesting as the name Datsun has not been used since…the early 80’s?

4C141A41-5BF4-4816-BF9B-F0FD94FCD4C5.jpeg
2A509134-5998-47FB-91FC-52D8F974A7C6.jpeg

When I drive my beloved 850 Sport Coupe people often ask “is that an Opel”? I believe the last “German/proper” Opal was sold in North America in 1975 before the rebadged Isuzu Rust-to-Matic soiled Buick showrooms..

C35FDFEE-160F-4D04-A34D-24A2E725EA93.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh what!! It's not just me that always gets the "is that a TR7??". Having never seen the TR7 before, I had no clue how one could confuse a British front-engined roadster with a mid-engined wedge, but it makes much more sense now.

Seeing that I was very much not born yet when that "shape of things to come" ad was rolling, I don't have any input about seeing it when it came out, but even looking at it now- and how that shape had very much already come by then, is interesting.

Either way, looking back at the comparisons...we see which car proved to be superior in many regards :)

When people ask me what my X is and I tell them a Fiat, they still don't know what I'm talking about..."who makes Fiat?"

Since I put the FAZA snorkel on they just ask me "what is that thing?"

I always thought that calling the TR7 wedge shaped was a stretch of imagination.

I was regularly approached at fuel stops and asked about the car.
That comment reminds me of a incident I encountered a few years ago. I had purchased a plain stock X1/9 for parts and was trailering it home when I stopped for fuel. While at the station a very lovely young coed (guessing she was in her 20's) stopped to look at the car and gave me a big smile. I was feeling good about the situation until she said, "that car is so cute". I then realized the X can very well be considered a "chick car", especially a bone stock one. That was a complete affirmation for me to continue customizing/modifying all of mine into more manly sports cars. I'll leave the stock original ones to the ladies. :p

I have all three, the X is the best looking and suprisingly small next to the MR2 and TR8. All three need paint and restoration, but the TR8 will be the first to get painted followed by the X1/9 and MR2
View attachment 49842
You are the king of wedgies. :D Maybe add a first generation RX7 to further complete the collection. :)

Back