Cylinder Head Retorque Question

BrioPA

Daily Driver
Installed a MWB head on my '83 X1/9. Finally got the timing set up, and at the point that I have put a few miles on it and need to retorque the head, per the MWB recommendation (they supply regular head bolts, not the factory stretch bolts). I have the special wrench, which should help me reach the bolts in the corners, but with the intake manifold in place, reaching the centre bolt on the intake/exhaust side appears to be almost impossible. Is there some sort of special tool combination that let's me get in there without removing the intake manifold, or do I need to bite the bullet and take it off?

TIA!

Martin

Installed a MWB head on my '83 X1/9. Finally got the timing set up, and at the point that I have put a few miles on it and need to retorque the head, per the MWB recommendation (they supply regular head bolts, not the factory stretch bolts). I have the special wrench, which should help me reach the bolts in the corners, but with the intake manifold in place, reaching the centre bolt on the intake/exhaust side appears to be almost impossible. Is there some sort of special tool combination that let's me get in there without removing the intake manifold, or do I need to bite the bullet and take it off?

TIA!

Martin

I think.....your problem is that you need TWO different wrenches to be able to re-torque the head in situ. One of them does the corner bolts - it seems that is the only one you have. But...to do the centre bolts...you need a different wrench. These special wrenches are usually sold as set - like here:

There was some talk here of an alternative wrench meant for an aircraft that can be used here. Do a search here for more details. Otherwise...perhaps someone here has a set of the special wrenches they could lend or rent to you......

Hope this helps...

It is true that a Russian aircraft cylinder head wrench can be used. I had one made for me by someone on eBay because I needed a 14mm version for my ARP hardware.
Also, I just went through the unfortunate head gasket replacement after only 4 months following a fresh build... Apparently, after assembly the SOHC requires a retourque after a single heat cycle, then again after some run in. I didn't do that initial heat cycle retourque, and consequently the head gasket failed after just a few months..😭

It is true that a Russian aircraft cylinder head wrench can be used. I had one made for me by someone on eBay because I needed a 14mm version for my ARP hardware.
Also, I just went through the unfortunate head gasket replacement after only 4 months following a fresh build... Apparently, after assembly the SOHC requires a retourque after a single heat cycle, then again after some run in. I didn't do that initial heat cycle retourque, and consequently the head gasket failed after just a few months..😭
I think Lycoming is an American company... the cranked wrenches you can buy in 9/16, 5/8 and 3/4 are the ones you can use for retorquing the SOHC cylinder head... and they fit some model of Lycoming aero engine.

The 9/16 fits the 14mm ARP hardware, and with judicious use of a triangular file can be made to suit the 15mm head bolt type. the 5/8 wrench, again with judicious use of a triangular file will fit the 17mm head version, and the 3/4 is a snug fit onto the 19mm versions.

It reaches all the bolts, you just need to remove the engine top stay bar bracket to the cambox to access the rear trans end fastener... for the centre fasteners sometimes you need to remove the carburettor from the manifold (which is far easier then removing the manifold or the cambox)

SteveC

Not Russian, if they were they would be metric, not "imperial" sized.
~Where did this belief come from?

The cylinder base nut wrenches are for Lycoming or Continental piston aircraft engines of US of A origin.
These cylinder base nut wrenches are available from Aircraft Spruce:
More selection here:

Bernice

Not Russian, if they were they would be metric, not "imperial" sized.
~Where did this belief come from?

The cylinder base nut wrenches are for Lycoming or Continental piston aircraft engines of US of A origin.
These cylinder base nut wrenches are available from Aircraft Spruce:
More selection here:

Bernice
?? They are metric. I got a 14mm, 12 point cylinder head Russian wrench... Fits better than a sloppy 9/16ths and the bottom is tapered for the ARP 12 point nut...
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Was an eBay seller named fishmouth500, listed as
Vedeneyev M14- 12 point CYLINDER BASE NUT WRENCH...
He makes them to order, so you have to wait a bit to get it...

Was an eBay seller named fishmouth500, listed as
Vedeneyev M14- 12 point CYLINDER BASE NUT WRENCH...
He makes them to order, so you have to wait a bit to get it...
Industry standard cylinder base nut wrench with the box end cut off then socket welded on. The blue color change in the metal indicates the heat involved with that welding process which will alter the heat treatment of the modified socket and cylinder nut base wrench, not ideal.. but would work. Could be easily done by any local mech shop or not too difficult with a welder or by brazing..

Keep in mind:

14mm = 0.5511"
9/16 = 0.5625"

Difference of 0.0114"
Which is not excessive for wrenching.. You're not gonna apply 200+ ft/lb of torque on those 14mm APR twelve point nuts, and twelve point wrenching about doubles the wrenching surface area.

Another way is to get/use these hex to square socket drive adapters. 9/16" hex makes a 3/8" square drive, 3/4" hex makes a 1/2" square drive, low cost too.. and allows using common sockets with a cylinder base nut wrench.
As for wench sizes and tolerances (all things mech & tech are not made to the numeric "spec").. Chart from the Stahlwille catalog:

Stahlwille wrench size chart-2_sm.jpg

Stahlwille wrench size chart-1_sm.jpg

Bernice

Previously discussed from 2014:

Another related from 2011:

Reminder, "Torque isn't Tension".

Bernice

"The blue color change in the metal indicates the heat involved with that welding process which will alter the heat treatment of the modified socket and cylinder nut base wrench, not ideal.. but would work"

The wrenches from fishmouth500 are heat treated after manufacturing/welding to restore the relevant strength, then Cad plated..

Industry standard cylinder base nut wrench with the box end cut off then socket welded on. The blue color change in the metal indicates the heat involved with that welding process which will alter the heat treatment of the modified socket and cylinder nut base wrench, not ideal.. but would work. Could be easily done by any local mech shop or not too difficult with a welder or by brazing..

Keep in mind:

14mm = 0.5511"
9/16 = 0.5625"

Difference of 0.0114"
Which is not excessive for wrenching.. You're not gonna apply 200+ ft/lb of torque on those 14mm APR twelve point nuts, and twelve point wrenching about doubles the wrenching surface area.

Another way is to get/use these hex to square socket drive adapters. 9/16" hex makes a 3/8" square drive, 3/4" hex makes a 1/2" square drive, low cost too.. and allows using common sockets with a cylinder base nut wrench.
As for wench sizes and tolerances (all things mech & tech are not made to the numeric "spec").. Chart from the Stahlwille catalog:

Bernice
Did you just recommend a tool from Harbor Freight?!? :eek: What is the world coming too...

Wrong is wrong,. Please all, do not use imperial tools on metric fasteners. If you own an X, you need metric tools.
I disagree for the head torque tool.

The 9/16 lycoming aero engine cranked wrench is a good fit to the ARP 14mm 12 points, I've used it many times.... it's available, well priced, and gets around the cambox well.... a 14mm wrench is never exactly 14mm anyway, there is a "class" fit, and the 14.25mm or the 9/16 is barely out of class. Maybe if we were doing the bolts to 200ft/lbs it would be an issue, but at the moderate torque settings we need it for, it's not going to fail or slip.

If you have a set of the later SOHC head replacement head bolts, then as I said, a judicious use of a triangular file on a 9/16 aero engine wrench will give a nice snug fit on a 15mm bolt head without a lot of effort, again it's well priced, available and fits the engine.

SteveC

Back