EI Distributors - too good to be true?

For $40 is durability even a consideration??? if it lasts a year or two... it will save that much in fuel and points/condensors over that time at least.

ECM is unique... I doubt you'll find one from any US based vendor, and is worth a lot more than $40 to get out of Europe /UK...so if your considering one of these as an upgrade, it would pay to buy another complete unit for spares...

They don't ship outside the US... and I'm not a fan of vacuum advance, but I'd buy one to try...if I could.

SteveC

Thanx "Factory"

For $40 is durability even a consideration??? if it lasts a year or two... it will save that much in fuel and points/condensors over that time at least.

ECM is unique... I doubt you'll find one from any US based vendor, and is worth a lot more than $40 to get out of Europe /UK...so if your considering one of these as an upgrade, it would pay to buy another complete unit for spares...

They don't ship outside the US... and I'm not a fan of vacuum advance, but I'd buy one to try...if I could. SteveC

That's the kind of info I need, I'm still catching up from 35 years ago.
I'm not going Racing. "Ruby" is going to be my Weekend Cruiser until I retire and will eventually end up as my as yet unborn first grand child's car someday.
Fixing stuff was figured into the purchase price. I like doing that for fun. I just don't like fixing the same stuff, more than once.

You do make a good argument for buying two now, while they're cheap.
No telling how much they will cost when Ruby hits 40 or even 50 years old and having one in the Trunk on a Road Trip, could be a Life Saver, or at least a $$BUCKS$$ SAVER. Just call AAA and haul it to the nearest motel. When the sun comes up I can DIY in the parking lot, take a shower and be on my way before Check Out Time. :drink::hammer::drink::hammer:

Back in the early 90's my 86 Toyota lost an Alternator Belt near Russell Kansas, during Harvest Season. The only parts place within reach was a Farm Store. The closest belt they had was the last one that also fit somewhere on an International Harvester Combine The old boy behind the counter was thinking about his "regular" customers and didn't want them to find out he sold his last one, to some "Damn Yankee", driving a "Toyoter".
When we got to $45.00 I told him, "Where's the nearest Auto Zone?" "I'll take it at $45, but I'll bring you a replacement for it by closing time today and you refund everything over my price."
"I use to change tires on farm equipment, so I know how impatient your customers can be, but I've got two little girls over there, looking at your toy tractors that I have to have in Colorado, by Sunday."
I still ended up paying $25 for a $5 belt, just to GTF out of there. I actually changed the belt in his WHITE gravel parking lot.
Hope he wasn't too pissed about that BIG black spot. Don't know how I mistook The Oil Drain Bolt for an Alternator Bolt. So what if I happened to have a gallon of "New" oil in the back? Half an Oil Change is better than nothing. Right? :wink2: :devil: :fart: :grin:

Durability?

Hard to say exactly what they are. As Steve C states, it sounds like a copy versus the real thing. But the quality of it depends on many factors; could be better, the same, or worse than the originals. Does the item received have any additional markings to indicate where or who actually made it? I guess the bottom line is how it holds up over time in actual use.

electronic ignition

Ciao X 1/9 friends,

These electronic distributors are a very good offer.
In Europe we have the original Magneti Marelli we buy in Italy that are much more expensive.
But I think these distributors (probably from Fiat de Brazil) look some similar.
For US Dollar 40 you have nothing to lose as these system is perfect for the X 1/9. I would say: just try as an electronig ignition is perfect for your X 1/9: better starting, better revving, engine runs great, less fuel consumption etc.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Good luck and arrivederci

Henk

Distributor hook up

HI Henk

If you knew how to wire the electronic Distributor is it is easy as red to positive green to negative on the coil?

electronig ignition

Hello Ron,

I hope this will help, the building instructions for our Magneti Marelli system, my apologies for the bad English......

Bovenkant formulier

Mounting the electronic ignition ,
a brief guide ..............

1. Disconnect the green cable from the standard ignition and connect here the green cable from the electronic ignition

2. Attachhe other end of the electronic ignition ( red) to terminal 15 of the ignition coil . This is the contact where the pink cable is attached and the black lead of the large capacitor (located near the bonnet )

3. On the other side of the coil ( terminal 1 ) you must find a green cable (the one that comes under the distributor ) and a black / brown -mottled- cable ( this goes to the tachometer on the dashboard )

In summary :

Terminal 15 ( ignition + ) : red cable from the electronic ignition
black cable of the capacitor ( if present )
rose cable ( + ignition )

Terminal 1 : green cable ( coming from the ignition )
spotted cable ( to the rev )

As an extra help the Magneti Marelli coil sometimes has the terminal markings 1 and 15

Confirmation of the hose of the vacuum advance is explained through pictures

Note : the figures printed above the distributor cap are not correct (not applicable ) because the distributor is an angled version and especially for the
X 1/9. The spark plug wires should be connected according to the cylinder just order 1-3-4-2
When putting in time : starting with the 1st cylinder (not as standard cylinder 4 )

If you install the electronic ignition this should be adjusted of course with the timing light . At 800 rpm , the ignition by 5 degrees before TDC = top dead center

regards,

Henk

Thanks Henk

Thanks Henk
For the info I am going to try to do this and hope I do not mess up. If you have any pictures it would be very helpful.

Thanks your friend
Ron Smith

Maybe... but I suggest doing ONE thing at a time...

That way you can easily FIX the ONE thing you screwed up and also know which thing makes a difference.

Do let us know your findings...

thats probably it, however if so I am surprised they are leaving the "magneti marelli" logo in the casting on the distributor base.

Haven't you seen the 'top gear' episode about copy cat cars made in China... anyone who tried to sue was told, "no it's different" ....

They will cast them with your name on the side for an extra 5cents each,if you buy 50,000 of them :wink2:

For the mechanical metal stuff they can do a good job, like the Tipo heads I have for my race engine programme for example, really nice casting and good quality alloy is used...and stuff like a sump or a manifold I'm sure would be made precisely to supplied plans/drawings...

Electrical bits, well I'm not too sure....but for $40 (including postage) I would try one ... though I would keep the old original unit on board just in case as a backup, electrical stuff always fails according to Murphy's Law

"If it can go wrong, it will, and at the very worst (read this as the most inconvenient) possible moment"

If that sounds too hard then pony up and buy a 'real' one from Henk, the Marelli ones work really nicely and give a big spark.

SteveC

Ron, you don't have to call Tony "Mr. Tony".

For those of us who know him, he responds to many less prestigious titles, but a lot of us call him Papa Tony, probably due to his fatherly style in chewing us out and praising us in the same sentence.

Do let us know how it works out for you. I currently keep a spare dizzy cap and rotor in the trunk "just in case".

Mike

Call him Papa Tony

Any one with that much knowledge of a X19 deserves much respect. I would be honored to have his constructive criticism any day.:worship:

PS. Mike you are a cool man with a AWESOME yellow X 19.

Have one of Henk's

On my 79 Car. The 79 stock dizzy did not have the correct advance curve for a modified engine. I have had this on my car for 6 months and it works better than the stock unit supplied with the car.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Ron,

Most of us just call him Tony, although, we do get down on our knees, bow, and chant "I'm not worthy" in his presence.:eyepop:

Hopefully, one day you'll have the chance to meet Tony in person. For those of us in SoCal who hook up with him to get his assistance working on the X, it's a true learning and pleasurable experience. Just remember to bring a bottle of Canadian Club to compensate for his time. When the day is done, we crack open the CC to celebrate a job well done. His reputation is definitely bigger than life and well deserved.

Take care of your family. That's more important than anything else.

Mike

Next summer Mike

I am going to be taking my wife on vacation next summer down the California coast. She said that she have never seen the pacific ocean and I am going to take her before she cannot go anymore. Maybe I can meet up with a few of you guys in California. It would be great to talk to you guys and learn a thing or two about my X. It would be a honor to meet you and Tony and I will bring that bottle of Canadian Club.:drink::thumbsup:

Ron, just give us plenty of advance notice

about next summer. There's a lot to see over here I might need to take off some vacation days. You want to see the U.S.S. Iowa or Queen Mary, we got it. You want to see some great car museums, we got it. You want to do a group drive, we can arrange that. You want to see disturbed units wandering the streets and get your fortune read, we got Venice Beach. We also have this place called Disneyland for the kids.

Plenty to plan for. It would be my honor to help host your visit.

Mike

Back