EI Distributors - too good to be true?

Jeff Stich

True Classic
I've seen a certain So. Cal. eBay seller listing various electronic ignition distributors for Fiat Uno/Panda/Tipo, looks to be offering both the block-mounted type & the cam-end-mounted type distributors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19089558930...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2090wt_1270

$%28KGrHqR,%21rIFIV497wD-BSJTkrfTog%7E%7E60_1.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19089566778...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2126wt_1270

$T2eC16N,%21zUFIb-GDur7BSJW9qpisw%7E%7E60_3.JPG

Am I just dreaming that these appear to be easily adaptable to our Fiat X1/9, 128, Strada & Yugo SOHC engines? Of course, the cam-mounted ones will need to have an intermediate mounting base sourced or fabricated (like the X1/9-Strada units)... :hmm:

Can any of our non-USA folks here confirm the application(s) of the following distributor models?: SE105A & SE100CX (Bosch or Marelli block-mount?), & Fiat 7791188 (cam-mount).

At only $40/each NEW (shipping included), this could be a nice "score" of a modern ignition unit for our cars at a great price! :excited:

For $40, it might be worth the chance

...and let us know what you think!
Looks like a pretty good inexpensive replacement to me. Not sure how it would perform in real time...

Centrifugal advance (maximum):
Marelli SE101A and Ducellier 525473A . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26 to 30º BTDC
Marelli SE100EX and SE100CX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22 to 26º BTDC
Marelli SE100NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18 to 22º BTDC
Marelli SE101G . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23 to 27º BTDC
Marelli SE100SX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20 to 24º BTDC
Vacuum advance (maximum):
Marelli SE101A, Ducellier 525473A and Marelli SE101G . . . . . . . . . . 12 to 14º BTDC
Marelli SE100NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14 to 16º BTDC
Marelli SE100EX and SE100CX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10 to 14º BTDC
Marelli SE100SX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13 to 17º BTDC

Uno 1100 can also mean a FIRE engine (1108cc) but the SE100CX is definitely a SOHC distributor.

Ad doesn't say they are OEM, just references the OE number... my guess would be maybe south american (brasil) market pattern parts??

SteveC

"Brazilian made?"

I have had great experiences with Bosch, Weber, and other brand items made in Brazil. Mostly BMW, VW, Porsche, etc. parts, but the quality of their products has been great. Perhaps not quite 100% of the German originals, but certainly as good as the Italian stuff.

I wasn't implying the quality would be crap ... just that they are unlikely to be OEM (Marelli) ...and because Fiat make loads of cars in Brasil (and now Mexico too I believe with the 500) it's a high possibility that's where they originate from...but sure for $40 it's worth buying one to have a look at...and if the control module fails then it could go in the bin!

SteveC

plug and play?

Does this dizzy work without any interface with any other connections other than a "key on" hot and ground signal?

And another couple Qs... not too off topic...

According to my 74-78 fiat factory repair book, the centrifugal advance on a '74 thru '78 shows 0-10 (+/- 2) degrees centrifugal linearally from 900-1500 rpm, and 10-29 (+/- 2) degrees from 1500-4700 rpm.

Would it be a better method of setting static timing by setting it 10 deg BTDC at 1500 rpm rather than 0 deg BTDC at 800 rpm, and letting the 800rpm timing fall where it may?

Are there any degreed crank wheels out there for the fiat to help with possibly setting the ignition timing at peak centrifugal advance (30 degrees at 4800) rather than the lower rpms?

Last edited:
As far as setting timing... well that is actually the best way to do it, set the max advance value at whatever rpms are specified, and then check that min setting is correct ...

On Alfa Romeo (Nord) engines there are two marks on the crank pulley, M and P, you set full advance at whatever the spec rpm is at the M(massimo - maximum) and then recheck the P(piano- slow/minimum ) ...max advance is actually more important from a performance perspective, min advance is more for emissions.

no need for a fully degreed pulley, get a dial back timing light ... even better if it has a built in (and accurate) tach

wiring, I'll need to check a wiring diagram.

SteveC

We're on the same page

I agree with Steve C about these items likely being made in Brazil (or somewhere equivalent) for that price. And I was adding to that by saying that is not necessarily a bad thing. There is another possibility however. They could be a China knock-off, which may not be as good news (IMHO). But it will be interesting to see.

Pictures

Mine should be here in a couple of days. I will take some good pictures and video of the distributor.:)

as the saying goes (part 2)

My Dad used to say:
"If it's too good to be true, it probably is."

21st century version:
"If it's too good to be true, it's probably from China, after costs were externalized"

OK Dumb Question

Will these work in my 78 or is it just for the newer cars with EFI and all the other Electronic Sensors and ECM that control it?
My Dizzy has over 106000 miles on it, so I'm thinking it's gonna need something soon. I just spent the rest of this year's "Fun Money" getting a car to my baby girl in New Mexico, but I'm always looking for options and a good deal.

EI Distributors pictures

Can some one tell me where I can get the other side of the plug for the distributor. I am going to make a video when it is in the car. Let me know what you think of the pictures.

Wow, oem marelli casting? Its an oem? Gonna have to pull the trigger on that one after u finish yours

I went and had a look at the distributor I have in stock...which came packed in a blue/yellow Marelli box.... it has the same Magnetti Marelli casting on the body, but it also has 'made in italy' under it, cap is marked Marelli/made in italy, as is the rotor, vac adv unit and the EC module and the internal advance plate...so these distributors are pattern parts... trying to look like the real thing.

SteveC

So The $40.00 Question Is ???

Durability? Are they made with cheap materials and parts or have the quality materials and parts they use gotten cheaper with recent improvements in the manufacturing process and Cost?
Italian Wages are set by Collective Bargaining by sectors while the Minimum Wage in Brazil is $1.98 / Hr.
Anybody know how much the Average Marelli Factory worker makes? That might be the cost difference?

Back