Electric Windows - one works, one doesn't

Here are a couple threads. Some of the picture links have died over the years.

Here are a couple threads. Some of the picture links have died over the years.

Thanks Jim. A lot of the pics and video were gone, but this is what I'm thinking. The picture below is looking up from the bottom of the window. It looks like the tab people are talking about in your linked threads is on the left, and the screw coming out the bottom appear to be what the stop is attached to. The second picture is from a thread Hussein posted back in 2018 that shows that there should be a rubber stopper. I have no stopper, so maybe that is part of why my window went too far and jammed.

Update - I just went fishing in my door and found my stopper (third pic). I guess the stopper had fallen off, and likely the window went up too far and the screw that was supposed to hold the stopper went past the lip it was supposed to hit and then got hung up.

window bottom.jpg
Stopper.jpg
my stopper.jpg

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the emergency crank feature was only on the intermediate version of the PW set up.
Thanks Jim, I wasn't sure. I recall some of my early 80's BMW had similar power windows (also Bosch) as the later X's (i.e. non-cable), but with an emergency crank feature. So I could not remember if all X's did or not.

I remember talk about that 'stop' item causing problems. Sounds like your window should work good once you get a replacement stop and put everything back together the way it should be.

I need to look into all this eventually. One of my "parts car" X's has the same problem, windows go up too far. The glass on one door is chipped where the door was closed with the window up too far and it hit the top. So before I can transplant those PW's into another car they need to be adjusted correctly.

Last edited:
Update - The window was jammed in the Up position. I freed it up (luckily it was taped up as per Dan S!!) Motor and regulator move smoothly upn and down with the mechanism out of the car.

Last Question - there is nothing to stop the regulator, i.e., it goes up and off the rail. What stops it? Is it just this little white plastic piece stuck on the end from my previous pic (i'll attach it again here)? I can sort of see where you can jam it in to fit, but it is full of grease which I wouldn't expect to see if it was supposed to stop something. Thanks in advance for your help.

Those pieces are the guide for the channel - it will distort/bind without them

X19-1158.jpg

X19-1159.jpg

Nice work Paul. I can how that would be a task to make.

Now you got me thinking about these guides. I've never looked that close at the window mechanisms - fortunately all of the ones I've had till now work fine, so I've had no need to get into them. Do the manual winders also have the same guides? Or for that matter, how about the other style of power window? I would think all mechanisms need some sort of guide to allow the window to track up and down correctly. But I'm sure they may use different designs of guides.

And without further ado, may I present for your viewing pleasure . . .

Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I'm doing the same and have similar issues. I noticed in the video that the winder mechanism moves quite a bit while the window is moving, especially when it first gets started. Is the top bracket broken off? I had to weld mine back on, but the angle just right is not easy. Did you find a fix for the plastic slider issue? Is your rubber mount, near the middle of door, also severely distorted? I'm still having trouble getting the window to slide smoothly. The motor goes up and own fine, but when everything is bolted tight, there's too much friction and binding at very top and very bottom.

Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I'm doing the same and have similar issues. I noticed in the video that the winder mechanism moves quite a bit while the window is moving, especially when it first gets started. Is the top bracket broken off? I had to weld mine back on, but the angle just right is not easy. Did you find a fix for the plastic slider issue? Is your rubber mount, near the middle of door, also severely distorted? I'm still having trouble getting the window to slide smoothly. The motor goes up and own fine, but when everything is bolted tight, there's too much friction and binding at very top and very bottom.
I'm not sure where the movement comes from (to be honest I didn't notice it) but the sheet metal in the door has a tear in it near the left bolt so that is where it might come from. I read about the welding issue but that wasn't my problem, which was ultimately electrical. Hussein has some pics on the site where he got another door and cut the same piece out to overlay over the tear to strengthen that area. As for the bumper, mine was totally shot. After an hour or so looking for a replacement at places like McMaster Carr, I ended up slathering it with E6000 adhesive and wrapped the outside with thread while still wet and it has held up well (picture below). While my windows slow at the top and bottom, for me its not binding up so I can't speak to to that. I know as a matter of course the window motors are not powerful without putting in a separate relay for them (which is detailed on the site. Finally, after I figured out how that plastic guide installs, I realized that the lion's share of the broken part was not on the guide face so I ended up reusing it and it seems to be working fine.

restored stopper.jpg

I'm not sure where the movement comes from (to be honest I didn't notice it) but the sheet metal in the door has a tear in it near the left bolt so that is where it might come from. I read about the welding issue but that wasn't my problem, which was ultimately electrical. Hussein has some pics on the site where he got another door and cut the same piece out to overlay over the tear to strengthen that area. As for the bumper, mine was totally shot. After an hour or so looking for a replacement at places like McMaster Carr, I ended up slathering it with E6000 adhesive and wrapped the outside with thread while still wet and it has held up well (picture below). While my windows slow at the top and bottom, for me its not binding up so I can't speak to to that. I know as a matter of course the window motors are not powerful without putting in a separate relay for them (which is detailed on the site. Finally, after I figured out how that plastic guide installs, I realized that the lion's share of the broken part was not on the guide face so I ended up reusing it and it seems to be working fine.

View attachment 42507
Thanks for the reply. My window is moving a little better now after multiple realignments. I like your bumper resurrection. I did end up making a full new set of slider plastic pieces, like Karl said below, on a band saw. I figured if they failed at this age, things were only going to get worse. I find the whole mounting set up rather odd and challenging. The rubber spacer of the middle track mount gets severely pushed around and distorted. Next step relay

Back