Engine swap photos

Awesome work!

I am very curious what the gearbox and driveshafts look like! Can you post some pics of those too :)

Looks so clean and factory

I especially like the fact that the engine sits in the middle of the engine compartment unlike the X engine.
Can you give us some driving impressions?
How does it feel compared to the X engine?
Maybe some in-car footage?

thanks for all the kind words!

Here is a pic of the shifter rod connection to the transmission shift lever (lower left). Note my welding skills (just kidding...)

Picture022.jpg

because Honda was so thoughtful to put a universal joint on their shift rod, I merely had to turn it around into the direction I needed it to go. The engine was scored from Toronto JDM, the tranny is an ebay find. Some additional pics of the driveshafts are available in the link on a previous page to this thread. It's really hard to get good photos of the underside of the car without it being on a lift or jacked way up in the air. As for driving impressions, you won't feel intimidated by most cars or trucks on the road. At low rpms, the car drives pretty much like any other car but once you start winding it up it becomes a real beast and when vtec kicks in *5800 rpm, the pitch of the engine changes...it sounds pretty radical. In first gear you wind up to redline so quickly that if you're not careful you'll hit the rev limiter which limits you to 8600 rpm. wind out second and your going just over 62 mph. 70 and 80 mph come really fast as well...thats as fast as I've taken it. So overall, instead of avoiding trouble you find yourself looking for trouble...Integras, S2000's, Z3s, etc are all fair game :). Thanks again everybody for the kind words. This swap has been a lot of work (not to mention a few ponies) but I can honestly say it's been worth it. I can't imagine what that K20 that Matt built must be like...

I've got an interested buyer right here in town

how much would you be asking for the old engine? I am contemplating just getting one that is all together rather than hoping mine runs.

Odie

Shipping this thing would be next to impossible for me as I don't have a truck and it would cost a ton too.

Great write up!

Sorry I didn't see the link, excellent documentation. I have a friend that stuffed one of those into a CRX but the driveshafts were all wrong and the thing screamed along like a coked up crab.:eyepop:

B-Series swap

Congrats on the install. Funny how all this goes. I just got done putting a B-20 Vtec together and am tuning it in my 91 civic hatch. I just recently picked up a Jackson racing supercharger for it too. my plans are to finish tuning it in the civic with the megasquirt PNP then next winter swap it into the x-1/9. Ironically..... I've already totally eliminated the rear trunk area of my car so hopefully not too much modification will be necessary to relocate the mounting of the supercharger on the B-20 when in the X-1/9.
P.S. you think the B-18 is snotty? try a 2.0L with V-tec. Even in the 2300lb civic WOT in first gear is not good(without S/C). Can't wait to see how this goes with a S/C bolted on it. Oh how rear wheel drive would be nice....

My youngest son has a b20vtec in his 95 integra, its the car to beat . He raced his bother in his 240 twincam turbo setup and the turbo lost.

Great job...

Excellent...such a tidy install, looks like it belongs there. Are you planning on offering documentation, photos, written, etc. for this?

Impressive!!!

Nicely done in every way!

The amount of time it took to photograph and document in the great detail you have is greatly appreciated by all.

link from previous page...

Excellent...such a tidy install, looks like it belongs there. Are you planning on offering documentation, photos, written, etc. for this?

This is the original write-up I did for the B16 swap. Since then I've made some changes to it (made a few things better) but this still gives you an idea of what's involved. Installation for the B18c would be very similar...

http://autox19.com/b16/

Back