Engine Test Stand and Rebuild Project

Excellent job with the test stand.

From everything I've heard it can be a bit difficult to get a really smooth idle. Especially when the ECU is still "learning" (assuming you have it set to do that). Adding a idle control valve may help. But so far it sounds great - nice to have it actually run on the first start-up attempt!

From everything I've heard it can be a bit difficult to get a really smooth idle. Especially when the ECU is still "learning" (assuming you have it set to do that).
Yes; we still have 100 settings to adjust. We were just excited it started! We need to calibrate a couple of sensors and even retest timing. At the moment we skipped the idle control valve, but maybe we will add in later.

I agree, it has to be very rewarding to get it running on the MS ECU. Sure hope mine goes that well.

Today was the day. Put the engine in. Here are some pictures of the progress. We didn't actually start it yet. Of course, we bolted in the clutch slave and one push of the clutch pedal and fluid squirted. MWB order already placed...

Had to move it from the shop to the garage...
IMG_6755.JPG

ready to go!
IMG_6756.JPG

The 2 sisters...
IMG_6758.JPG

OK, here we go!
IMG_6775.JPEG

Slide it into position
IMG_6776.JPEG

Hope this fits!
IMG_6777.JPEG

It looks like it will...
IMG_6778.JPEG

45 minutes later (we left the alternator on... probably not a good idea)
IMG_6781.JPG

top down view...
IMG_6783.JPEG

Megasquirt installed.. view of EDIS ignition
IMG_6782.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_6778.JPEG
    IMG_6778.JPEG
    259.6 KB · Views: 82
Excellent! And looks like it was a "rally" road at that.
Yes, please do a brief summary of the build. Highlight the MS conversion, with more pics. :)

Congrats on the startup Jake. You will soon be our MS expert. I have a track car with MS installed and I know nothing about it. I am afraid to even try to start it as the PO told me it runs, but not very smoothly. I was also happy to see that blue painters tape is "stock" for an MS install. 😈
IMG_2091.JPG

Happy to help where I can! I can highlight all the mechanical and electrical mods we made. My 19 year old computer engineer son, however, is the expert on the programming and map work done on the megasquirt.

I’ll post some details picks tomorrow.

Congrats on the startup Jake. You will soon be our MS expert. I have a track car with MS installed and I know nothing about it. I am afraid to even try to start it as the PO told me it runs, but not very smoothly. I was also happy to see that blue painters tape is "stock" for an MS install. 😈 View attachment 48869
Clockwise from the bottom
Coolant temp sensor
Brown wire can’t see where it is going, looks like a ground but shouldn’t be the ground for MS but could be.
Intake air temperature sensor
Throttle Position Sensor

Looks great Dave! What is the finish on those copper color items (e.g. valve cover and ECU)? Has a unique appearance to it. ;)

I'll offer something to consider in the future. Since MegaSquirt has ignition control built in, and therefore the spark map can be fully programmed along with the fuel map, it may be a better option over using the Ford (EDIS) ignition module/controller. The Ford (EDIS) crank trigger wheel and sensor are great and will signal the MegaSquirt ECU excellently. And the same coil can be used. The only difference is eliminating the EDIS module and let MS do the timing work. That will allow better tuning of the engine. :)

Looks great Dave! What is the finish on those copper color items (e.g. valve cover and ECU)? Has a unique appearance to it. ;)

I'll offer something to consider in the future. Since MegaSquirt has ignition control built in, and therefore the spark map can be fully programmed along with the fuel map, it may be a better option over using the Ford (EDIS) ignition module/controller. The Ford (EDIS) crank trigger wheel and sensor are great and will signal the MegaSquirt ECU excellently. And the same coil can be used. The only difference is eliminating the EDIS module and let MS do the timing work. That will allow better tuning of the engine. :)
There is still time to make THAT decision. I was thinking you still needed EDIS to control the spark. I will do some more reading!

Back