Exhaust Vibration

Joshua Stinnett

Daily Driver
Hi all, I've had an issue with my '74 since I bought it where there is a buzzing vibration noise coming from the exhaust at certain rpms, usually between 2500-3500. I haven't thought much of it, but I just recently had to change out my lower motor mount from the original '74 style with the exhaust bracket to a later style without it, and the buzzing has gotten much worse. I'm beginning to worry that it might damage my muffler. Is there a common solution for this? I know that it's not unusual for people to have to switch to the non-bracketed mounts and I'm hoping someone has devised a workaround for this.

I was going to take the old mount and using it as a pattern, cut a new bracket that would then mount onto the new motor mount using the two bolts at one end of the new mount. It may require longer bolts and it may not need to be 1/4" thick steel. Another thought was to cut that end (with the exhaust bracket) off of the old mount (including those 2 holes with what you cut off) and bolting that to your new mount.
Haven't actually tried it yet, but those were the only 2 options that I came up with.

Yes there is a solution !!

And yes, the lower engine mount type with arm (used on '74 and all injected X1/9s) is now very difficult to find, and very expensive when you do. And that type is definitely needed to support the exhaust system.

I ran into this problem a couple of years back on my own X, and developed a proper solution:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/fiat-x1-9-lower-engine-mount-conversion-arm.28369/

I still have some conversion arms available. But no more mounts. Just Paypal as per the post, or PM me.

Doug

Last edited:
I have Doug bracket on Kermit ... you can trust Doug, all he does is first quality.

Thanks Doug, that looks absolutely perfect. Glad to see people keeping the strange 74s alive and well through methods like these. I'll be sending you an order shortly.

Installed my conversion arm from Doug today. The vibration is gone and the car sounds great. Doug makes a great quality product and I highly recommend it to anyone else with a '74 that's having this problem.

Back