Exhaust

Great stuff Steve. And Crusader, that is one sexy burble!

The virtues (or otherwise) of X exhaust system designs got a decent thrashing on Xweb 5 years ago:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-ideal-header.16768/

Based on those discussions and calculations, I produced this for myself:

P1060094b.jpg

P1060095b.jpg

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/mocking-up-an-exhaust-system-done.23063/

The final design met all my criteria for pipe sizing. It has not been tested back-to-back with any other system on a dyno, so there is no empirical data on any improvement in performance, therefore I can only report seat of the pants findings that it made a significant difference over the original 1975 system and a measured improvement in 0-60mph acceleration of around 1 second. A bung and O2 sensor has since been added to the tertiary pipe which has allowed finer tuning of my carbs. Three years later, I am still extremely happy with the result. But then, I am biased! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Unfortunately the original discussion didn't lead to a run of systems. I still believe that like Bob Gs aluminium radiators (many thanks again Bob!!!) forum members see a market in offering an alternative to 4-1 exhaust systems.

I'll just keep dreamin... :cool:

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited:
I had my stainless exhaust custom built and added a cat to tame her a bit. Granted, I am turbo'd and that quiets things down a bit. I run the exhaust off of a Uno Turbo manifold and she flows quite nicely. Cheers,

Here is the link to how she sounds.

Sorry guys, sound was too compressed here. I do have it posted on YouTube and sounds much clearer there. Cheers,

I would recommend starting with the vick's header, I bought one, and I thought it was cheap and well made. I fabricated the exhaust, it even fit with the AC, I did adapt a mini alternator, but it didn't interfere with any of the actual AC. Come to think of it, the mini alternator was need to fit with the twin side drafts. For the price of the vicks header, what are the other real options, something that will rust.
True the twin outlet manifold will get most of the available gain from the exhaust, but it will look awful.

Back