Rodger

True Classic
I was out for a test drive a couple of months ago as I was dialing in my suspension on my ’81 K20 swap. I had installed a set of the MWB Koni coilovers as part of the restomod, plus I was checking out a set of prototype front sway bar brackets that Doug Martin (@rx1900) had designed and sent me. Teaser photos…
IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

The first photo shows the bar mounted and how it clears the cooling tubes. The second is a closer view of how Doug designed the mounting system. More on this in a future thread when Doug is ready. I already had a rear sway bar on the car, again, courtesy of an idea and design by Doug. The rear bar is from an older Acura and I know that Hussein used the same bar on his build on a suggestion from Doug.

The car was really handling nice. A firm but not harsh ride and very flat in the corners. I was carrying some speed through a hard, left hand sweeper and hit a quick dip in the road. As the suspension suddenly compressed, I heard a loud rub sound from the front left fender. I thought it was just some rubbing on the fender liner, but I drove more slowly home and this a what I found.
Fender damage.jpg

The tire sidewall was slightly cut but not bad. I was able to carefully bend the lip back and had some of the paint on the lip crack off, but the paint on the outside of the fender stayed there, even though it was slightly rippled. I knew it was no longer bonded to the fender, but at least it was all there with no pieces flaked off. I was nervous to even touch it. Its hard to see in the photo, but the rippled area is outlined here. I used a little touch up paint on the lip where the paint was gone.
Before rolling left ripple damage.JPG

In my neophyte ignorance of suspensions, I had never bothered to check fender clearance at various amounts of compression. The MWB Koni’s have a soft, polyurethane bump stop, more properly termed a spring aid, rather than a hard, traditional style rubber bump stop, and I just assumed that they were set-up for the correct amount of compression with no issues. As part of my build, I had upgraded my front brakes to the Allison Wilwood brake kit, which features a vented rotor that is thicker than the stock rotors. I had also used the 15” Autostrade wheels from Vick Auto that have a 15 mm offset. This combination put the outside of the tire (195/45) just barely inside the fender rim. Apparently, not quite enough! I had also installed the camber adjustment plates from MWB early on, before I had even decided to do a K20 swap and then subsequently added their Koni coilovers. Their coilovers, as well as the Vick ones, come with the upper mounting hole of the shock slotted, so that you can adjust the camber. Its not as easy as doing it with the camber plates, but it eliminates the cost of the plates, plus the labor of cutting a hole in the top of the shock towers to fit them.

After I calmed down about screwing up my paint job, I reached out to Doug, who has become a good friend, even if only by email, as he seems to know everything about cars and the X. He patiently gave me a tutorial on how suspensions work and how to check suspension travel. I took out the springs and checked how far the suspension would compress until it bottomed out. The tires hit the fender lip way before the top of the shock tube even came close to the bump stop. Not good. So now, I began the process of trying to shim down the bump stop so that it would be fully compressed without the spring and still have some tire clearance to the fender lip. This is where I found out how compressible the stops are and why they are considered spring aids. Basically, I had to have the stop already touching the top of the shock tube at normal ride height to avoid the tire hitting the fender when the stop fully compresses. With the camber plates mounted on the top of the shock tower, I found I was giving up a lot of the shock extension travel as well.

Even though all the photos I have seen of the camber plates are with them mounted on top of the tower, when you think about it, they seem like they were designed to be mounted underneath. The three mounting holes are threaded, so if you put the bolts down from the top, they have to be screwed all the way down through the plate, then you still need nuts and washers on the underside, so all of the suspension load is carried by the nuts. If you mount them this way, there is no obvious purpose for the threaded holes in the plates. You can screw the bolts up from the bottom to take advantage of the threaded holes, but then you have the extra threads of the bolts sticking up which looks kind of tacky. This way, all the suspension load would be on the bolt heads.
Front bump stop adjustment 01.JPG

I decided to move the plates to underneath the shock towers. I wisely had my body shop weld in an extra thickness of metal under the top of the shock towers as a kind of built in Plaia plate. With the camber plates underneath, the bolts come down from the top and use the integral threads of the plates to hold them securely in place. Now, all the suspension load is spread out over the whole area of the plates. Makes much more sense to me. Of course, it does not look as pretty as having them on the top, but another advantage is that now I gained back some of the shock extension travel. Not sure if it matters or not, but my seat of the pants engineer hat liked it. Of course, that did nothing to change the stop riding on the top of the shock, but I was able to eliminate some of the stack of shims that I had before.
Front bump stop adjustment 04.JPG

I took a drive with the suspension like that and found it to be really harsh, as one would expect from riding on the stops. I obviously needed to get back some suspension travel, so that meant either increasing the ride height and going to the off-road 4x4 look, changing back to the stock brakes, changing to different rims with a different offset, or rolling the fender lips. When I had the body work done, I had the body shop roll the front section of the lips as that is where my ’79 used to rub with my CD-30’s and 185/60-13’s. I never thought about doing the top of the fenders, because I never had a clearance issue there with that set-up. I was really nervous about rolling the lips with my new paint job, and especially since I had already cracked the paint with my mishap.

I started doing some research on how to roll fenders and watched a few YouTube videos on it. It seemed like the Eastwood roller was the weapon of choice and the price was not much more than all the eBay imitations, so I ordered one, although it was on backorder for about a month. My main concern was that all of the rollers that I looked at, including cheap eBay ones and the Eastwood one, all had a minimum length of 14”. This was going to be much too long to do an X, but I figured maybe I could modify it somehow.

As karma would have it, Doug had just posted about his find of some nice 14” tires online at a good price. He had some 14” Maserati Biturbo rims that he was using for his build, and so needed some tires. He ordered them, mounted them up but when he put them on the car, he found a similar issue with fender rim clearance. He was using the stock brakes and suspension, but the offset of his rims was only 6 mm, so that pushed his tires out quite a bit. He liked the stance but needed to do something about the fender lips as well. We had been communicating about my issues and he knew that I had an Eastwood roller on order. Never one to wait around when there is a new project to tackle, he found a practically identical fender roller at a local tool place and bought it to play with.

Of course, he found the same problem with the 14” length, but being the clever innovator that he is, out comes his chop saw and drill press. He had to open up the mounting holes a little for the 4x98 Fiat bolt pattern first. After several modifications and trials, he arrived at a nice, workable roller for the X. He had to do both his rears and fronts due to his offset, but I only needed to do my fronts, since I was still using the stock rear rotors. The rears are more challenging than the fronts since they are a double wall construction. The fronts are just single layer of sheet metal.

I went ahead and cancelled my order from Eastwood as it was still on backorder and Doug sent me his modified roller to play with. I took it over to my powder coater to make it look nicer. Doug had given it a new coat of rattle can paint, but by the time the postal service had gotten done slamming the box around, it was looking really scuffed up. Our plan was that once I was done with it, I would offer it out for rental to any forum member who wants to use it, so I wanted it to look nice. It would be a lot easier for me to handle the rental and shipping it, since I am in the US and he is in Canada, so shipping is faster and less expensive for me.
Modified roller powdercoated 02.JPG

Modified roller powdercoated 01.JPG

So now that I had the roller, I just had to get up the courage and find the time to try it. My advice is to watch a few YouTube videos as it is much easier to watch it being used, then to try and explain it. The key is to have a good heat gun and heat up the fender rim well, then keep it hot during the whole process. Some suggest using an infrared thermometer to get the fender to a good temperature (125-140 degrees F), but I just felt it with my hand. It should be hot where you can touch it for a couple of seconds. You don’t want to overdo it as you can bubble the paint. The heat does two things, softens the paint to reduce cracking, and heats the metal so it is more malleable.

I first removed the fender liner, then mounted the roller using three of your lug bolts/nuts and the cup washers that come with the roller. You just need to hand tighten the bolts/nuts.
Roller left 01.JPG

I found that I had to remove the Wilwood calipers as otherwise, I could not rotate the roller forward enough. I found later that I could have used a spacer, but it was easy to just unbolt the caliper and get it out of my way. I wanted to blend in the section that the body shop had done with the rest of what I was going to do. Doug found that he did not need to remove the stock calipers. Use a jack to raise the hub so that the arc of the roller wheel follows as much as the fender lip as possible. You can’t do the whole fender all at once, but the more you can match the arc of each section, the better. You will need to play with the various adjustments to do all sections of the lip as desired. Start with the roller wheel just slightly angled to the lip. Don’t put too much of an angle on it to start, otherwise you can just push the fender outward. Move the lip upwards first, then add angle to the roller wheel as needed to push the lip more vertically to the desired position. Apparently, you can also use the roller to flare out the fender if you are after the slammed look. Remember, heat up the fender arch/lip first, then work the roller back and forth, adjusting the tension as needed, re-heat and then do some more, reheat and do more, etc. It really doesn’t too long but take your time until you get a feel for it. Again, the YouTube videos are very helpful.
Roller left 02.JPG

More to come.

Like what you've done to your car. I am a little jealous, but not for long. Visited Doug yesterday to pick up a few spare parts. He took me through the fender roller process and the much better set up and installation of the sway bar "Bracket System" he devised. Very innovative. Look forward to going back for another visit soon and get my own sway bar setup for my k20.

Much going on there!

I like the sway bar setup. I have question though - how is the mount plate secured? Drilled through the frunk floor? If so, what reference markers did you have to ensure proper offset?

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 2.05.16 PM.png

I feel your pain on this one - when the paint chipped (badly) at the B pillar from the door pushing in too far on closure, I cursed myself for not properly checking clearance on the latch BEFORE closing the door pretty firmly. After that, when I dropped the short ladder on the hood I was more able to let it go (also the paint didn't crack or chip) ... Hopefully the paint is really OK

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 2.02.54 PM.png

I notice your bicycle color is very similar to your X. I have a similar arrangement :)

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 2.03.57 PM.png

307180-10150297782741370-1094701445-n.jpg

Fender rollers are great. A definite necessity for anyone that loves lowered cars with wide wheels/tires. As you say they can not only "roll" the lip, but also "pull" it outward, and "stretch" the arch up as required. I also have the one from Eastwood but a friend has a very inexpensive one from a common online China site, and they are 100% identical. Go figure. Agree completely with the need to heat things up if you do it after painting. I prefer to do mine before I paint the car, as part of my body work and mods. But sometimes things don't go as planned. The 'machine' is easier to control than using a bat, but that will work to 'roll', not so much for 'stretch' or 'pull'.

I had no issues at all with any paint cracking on the passenger side, but my paint job is only a few years old. When Doug did his car, he was working on a 30-year-old paint job, so he got some minor cracking on the lip in a few places. If you have rust, or any body filler, you will probably see some damage there. On the driver’s side, where I had my incident, I was able to get the lip rolled without losing any of the paint where it was visible. I got a bit more flaking off where the paint of the lip had already debonded. I used a little super glue to tack down the edges of the paint on the underside of the roll so they wouldn’t flake off more, and then touched up the inner side of the lip with some touch-up paint. Fortunately, none of that is visible unless you are looking up under the fender. Whew!

Once I had the lip rolled under, I rechecked with the tire on the hub and no spring in the coilover. With the tire pointed straight ahead, I was able to fully compress the suspension now with no rubbing. At this point, I had a distance of 20 1/2” from the ground to the fender lip.
After rolling left 01.JPG

After rolling left 03.JPG

If the tire is turned outward, then you will see contact at full compression.
After rolling left 04.JPG

I estimated that about 1/4” of clearance should give me a comfortable reserve when making turns, then played with some 7/8” fender washers as shims to adjust the position of the bump stop. The 7/8” hole is just a little larger than the shock piston shaft and they are pretty thick. Four washers moves the bump stop down about 5/8” from its original position.
Strut shims after rolling 01.JPG

Strut shims after rolling 02.JPG

I ended up with about 5/8” – 3/4” or so of suspension travel before the stop starts to come into play at the ride height that I chose. The washers are stacked on top of the spring seat that has a roller bearing in it. There is a thinner fender washer that came with the coilovers that fits over the threaded part of the shaft but stops at the shoulder. Another smaller thick washer and a collar that slides into the camber plate hole finishes up the stack.
Strut shims after rolling 03.JPG

I put the springs back in the coilovers and bolted everything up. I adjusted the ride height to where I liked the stance. I ended with a distance of 22 3/4” from ground to lip on the rears and 22 5/8” on the fronts. I trimmed off the plastic lip of the fender liner that used to be exposed on the fender lip. I always thought it looked odd to have the plastic liner lip exposed on the front fenders, but nothing on the rears. It had already been partly broken off on the left side when the tire first hit the fender. I used my heat gun to soften and reform the edge of the liner and tucked it under the rolled fender lip. I am very happy with how it came out and with no visible damage except for the very slight paint ripple on the left side. The right side is perfect.
Left fender liner.JPG
Right fender liner 02.JPG

Final stance.JPG

The weather cleared up nicely yesterday, so I took it out for a test drive. It was great. Still a firm ride, but not rough or harsh. The sway bars really keep the car flat in the corners and with the K20 engine, this car flies!! What a hoot.

I am eager to get any feedback from the more experienced suspension gurus here as to what they think of my solution and the use of the shims. I am always open to better ideas on how to get a good balance between handling and ride quality for spirited street driving.

At this point, I am going to roll the front fenders on my ’79, then the roller will be available for rent to all forum members. Doug would like to recoup some of his cost and development time for the roller but wants to keep the rental fee minimal. He is thinking $25 for the rental, plus shipping out and then back to me. Disassembled, it will fit nicely in a standard USPS medium flat rate box. Currently, that makes the shipping cost $15.05 each way. PM me if you are interested in renting the roller and let me know how soon you want it. Please plan to return the roller within a month of getting it, so it can be available for others. I will handle getting the $25 rental fee to Doug.

Kudos to Doug for taking up this project and allowing me to test it out. I am sure that Doug will chime in with his observations regarding rolling his fenders with the stock suspension.

I like the sway bar setup. I have question though - how is the mount plate secured? Drilled through the frunk floor? If so, what reference markers did you have to ensure proper offset?
I have a ton of photos of the whole kit and installation that Doug has worked up and will post eventually, but since it is his idea and he has spent countless hours puzzling out everything, I will leave it up to him to post on it. His plan was to offer a kit with all of the mounting hardware and the only thing to acquire is the correct used sway bar from the junk yard or eBay. I will tell you that the mounting brackets are predrilled and are used as a guide to drill up into the frunk. There are two bolts that come through the framerails on the sides, so very secure.
Front sway bar install 22.JPG

My role in this whole thing was to test it out and give him my feedback as to changes/improvements to it as well as test driving it since he has not had an X on the road in many, many years. He dreams though... :)

Rodger, my concern with your current setup would be the amount of suspension travel that is usable at this point. By locating the two pairs of upper mounts/camber plates under the towers, that brings the strut down considerably - effectively raising the car ride height. So to get back to the stance you want you needed to drop the lower spring perch accordingly. That lowers the spring preload, which increases the tendency to bottom out - effectively decreasing your usable travel. Then by adding shims under the bump stops, that further reduces the available travel. If I'm reading your description correctly you now have less than 2" of travel? Depending on your spring rates you might find it doesn't handle well if there isn't enough free travel left for the suspension to effectively do its job. If you put those camber plates/upper mounts back on top of the towers, and raise the spring height accordingly, it should get you the same net height but with more spring rate (i.e. more preload), which will reduce the potential to bottom out. However an even better solution might be to increase the fender to tire clearance and adjust the struts to their optimum setting all around. Either more lip rolling/pulling, or change the tire offset (move the wheel closer to the hub). But that's only my take from my vehicles (I've dramatically lowered every vehicle I've owned), I'm certainly not a suspension expert.

I am far from being a suspension expert either, but from playing with the coilovers, my understanding is that there really isn't any preload on the springs like there is with a MacPherson strut. They aren't compressed at all until the car is lowered on to them. The load on the springs is dictated by the weight of the car. There is no way to add preload. Adjusting the lower spring perch up or down just raises or lowers the ride height. With the camber plates mounted where I have them now, the spring perch is about midway through the range. Correct me if I am totally missing something here.

At this point, I have a decent amount of suspension travel. I would like more before the bump stop starts to come into play, but it probably compresses about 1 1/4" before it is fully compressed. They are pretty soft, so there is no hard crashing onto them.

You're not missing anything. There will always be some spring preload due to the weight of the car sitting on them, but depending on the spring rate, spring length, strut length, suspension design, and settings there may or may not be very much. The more you crank up the lower perch the more it will compress the spring (after any free play is removed), which increases preload to some extent. That was what I was referring to. Often to get a low ride height the lower perch is dropped far enough that there is almost no preload. But as they are moved up it gradually increases. So I was thinking if the upper mounts were on top of the towers, then the lower perches could be moved up more to get the same vehicle height, but hopefully more compression on the spring (it depends).

Basically when the suspension bottoms out the effective spring rate goes to infinity (solid). That's when weird handling issues happen. But it sounds like those bump stops are acting like springs to an extent, so if the suspension bottoms out it may not be as noticeable when driving. So long as the handling is good and it doesn't do weird things then you should be fine.

Curious, do you need to retain both sets of camber plates to make everything fit the modified towers?

I would assume by "preload" you mean the spring is partly compressed with the strut at full extension. This is rare with coilovers unless you are using a very soft spring or spring tenders (which are very low rate springs used to keep the primary spring located on the perches). The spring will certainly compress under the car's weight but if you jack the car up, thus removing the weight from the suspension, the strut's extended length is longer than the free length of the coilover spring. The OE springs free length is considerably longer than the strut's extended length and must be compressed to be installed on the strut. Thus it is under tension with the strut at full extension. This is due to the OE spring rate of something like 80 lbs/inch.

I should note that bump stop technology has come a long way with the advent of engineer polymers. Auto manufacturers now use bump stops as "spring assists" in most of their designs. This allows for a more plush ride at normal highway driving with a normal passenger/cargo load. But then provides or additional spring rate when a larger bump is encountered, or a passenger/cargo load significantly higher than the normal one/two people and some groceries.

Most enthusiast cars make use of this as well (much as the X1/9 did) by setting the car up so that the 'spring assists' are engaged when the car is cornering harder than the standard .3~.5 lateral g that average passenger cars are setup for.

The washers will work but they do compromise total available suspension travel. Instead I would suggest using actual bump stops. The reason is simple; the washers provide for no cushion, an actual bump stop will. Also, you can buy bump stops in a range of 'spring rate' and cut them to the desired length. The bump stop will protect the camber plate, strut turret, strut (itself) and the wheel/tire from damage were you to drop a wheel into an unexpected hole. The difference in a bit of cushion and zero is significant in protecting those components.

Energy Suspension makes bump stops that might work for your application: https://www.energysuspensionparts.c...=Bump Stops act as a,in place to prevent that.

Oh, and I forgot a key element. On the X, if you have wider wheels/tires, its far more likely to snag a front fender when turning. That is; when cornering hard. This is because the wider wheel/tire has limited clearance further forward in the wheel well. So when turning the outside wheel/tire moves forward as you turn the steering wheel and in response the chassis rolls, compressing the outside suspension and using up the available clearance. So I would suggest redoing your clearance test. Remove the spring and turn the wheel until the tire is closest to the leading edge of the fender opening and then compress the suspension, with the steering in that position, to see how much clearance you actually have.

When I was building my X1/9 racecar, I had to allow for 13x8.5 wheels and 225/50 tires, with the car cornering at very high lateral g _and_ accommodate full suspension travel at high steering angles. I ended up having to cut the leading edge of the fender all the way to bulkead for the headlight bays. Even then the tires would rub slightly in extreme situations. I also completely cut away the OE flares and used a Bayless front flare with the forward portion cut away as it didn't blend with the 1500 bumper cladding.

Reference the photo below, you might have seen it before. But take a closer look. Compare the top of the left front tire, which is a 20.5 inch tall tire, to the body line that passes through the fender opening. Now compare that position to that of your car. You have a much taller tire, probably nearly 23". So this car sits very low. Now consider how much the right front suspension has compressed. Yet the tire didn't rub and the suspension didn't bottom. This car does have considerably more suspension travel than most any street driven X.

TP-MidAtlantic.JPG

There is only one set of camber plates so not sure what you mean by both sets?
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought you said the coilovers have a top mount with camber adjustment and then there is the accessory aftermarket camber adjustment affair - hince two.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought you said the coilovers have a top mount with camber adjustment and then there is the accessory aftermarket camber adjustment affair - hince two.
No. The coilovers have one of the bolt holes where it is fastened to the hub, that is elongated. This allows one to loosen the two bolts holding the strut to the hub and then pull or push the top of the tire in or out to change the camber. Then retighten the bolts. It works but it is not easy to get to with the car on the ground.

No. The coilovers have one of the bolt holes where it is fastened to the hub, that is elongated. This allows one to loosen the two bolts holding the strut to the hub and then pull or push the top of the tire in or out to change the camber. Then retighten the bolts. It works but it is not easy to get to with the car on the ground.

I have both adjustable lower strut mounts and camber plates on my MR2. Yes, the lower mounts are difficult to adjust, however, they are my primary camber adjustment because the top mount has been moved as far inboard as possible to provide a change in geometry that is unrelated to camber.

Back