Fiat X1/9 premium ignition wire sets

rx1900

1981 X1/9
Note this may be considered a commercial post.

I have just received another batch of my X1/9 premium performance plug wire sets. The good news this time is that i now also have sets available for the early '74-'77 1300 X1/9s !!

X19 wire set on floor.jpg

X19 wire set on engine 2.jpg

First, a little background. Over the years, I had been unable to find a decent set of ignition wires for my X1/9. Most were cheap poor quality, with terrible fit. Wires way too long with excess wires looping everywhere. I contacted a major manufacturer of wire sets up here who agreed to make a batch to my exacting specs. We worked closely together to develop the ultimate spec.

Firstly, for the wire itself, we chose the best available - an 8mm mag-core type wire with 7 component layers and a silicone outer jacket. At the cap ends, brass terminals with EDPM boots the proper thickness. At the coil end, a brass terminal with a really thick funky silicone boot. At the plug ends, a stainless steel snap-lock terminal and nice silicone boots. Everything assembled by the manufacturer on proper machinery.

wire specs.jpgwire specs.jpg

The lengths of the wires ( the major problem with most X1/9 "fitted" wire sets ) were chosen very carefully by myself. Each wire is the perfect length.

These wires fit X1/9s with a stock-type ignition system. With the distributor cap with side pointing terminals, and coil in the stock location on the right side panel. Thus all models from '79 to '89. I have seen some '78 models with the coil mounted on the upper right firewall. So should fit those too.

And yes....these wire sets DO fit nicely onto the side pointing caps. I use special boots that indeed clear the close-together terminals !! Unlike most other X1/9 wire sets you will find.....

I also now have sets available for the early '74 - '77 X1/9s. These have a different coil wire due to the coil on those models being in a different spot - over on the rear firewall near the centre of the car. These sets are only available in black or the darker red.

Will not fit any X with the distributor mounted on the end of the camshaft, or fitted with a distributor cap that has the terminals pointing straight up.

But will fit perfectly an X1/9 in stock trim.

Sets are available in your choice of 5 colours
wire sets 5 colous.jpg

The colours in the above pic did not photograph well. These are a little more representative
Blue ignition wire.jpg Yellow ignition wire.jpg rosso arancio wires.jpg

These wire sets are custom made for me, and are not available anywhere else. Although I may put them on Ebay to try to reach X1/9 owners who dont hang out here.

Special Xweb pricing.

For USA customers, only $33 US $ plus shipping $8 US. Will combine shipping with any of my other items.

For Canadian and International customers, only $42 Canadian per set. I think that is about 26 euros. I think the Australian $ is almost at par with the Canadian $. Canadian orders add GST or HST depending on province.

Kindly specify your choice of colour. Black, blue, yellow, the original normal darker red, and the new rosso arancio (bright red with hint of orange). Some colours are in short supply, so suggest you order quickly if you desire a specific colour before they run out. Please note the '74-'77 wire sets are only available in black or dark red.

Plus shipping.

If you would like to read some more about them, and see some comments and reviews, here is a link to my thread from my previous offerings:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....gnition-wire-sets-and-more.32807/#post-278301
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....special-purchase-of-ignition-wire-sets.29792/
It got pretty lengthy, so I thought I would start a new thread here

Last edited:
I am curious to see if you have any more wire sets for sale. I would be interested in a set for a 1982 x/19 1500. Stock distributor with a side post cap.

I am curious to see if you have any more wire sets for sale. I would be interested in a set for a 1982 x/19 1500. Stock distributor with a side post cap.

Yes.....I currently have stock in all colours. Pricing still as above, while stocks last.

They fit and perform beautifully :)

Kindly just send me a PM for Paypal info.

Thanks, Doug

I’m interested in a set of bright red ones for my ‘83. What PayPal account do we send payment to? I saw your post above, but didn’t see how we purchase and specify color.

Those look like they could be really good wires. I bought a similar type of magnetic suppression wires around1980 and they work fine today. They were made by a little known company at the time called MSD (It standed for "magnetic suppression discharge" at the time). If you want a big spark at high rpm, these are the type to get. Compared to the stock resistive suppression wires, these have a much lower impedance - a few hundred ohms versus thousands resulting in a bigger spark with much faster rise times. They will also last much longer than the resistor wires whose resistance goes up over time until the car will barely run. I've used that type of wire with the standard 74 X ignition as well as with several capacitive discharge units with excellent results. I paid about $10 for mine over 40 years ago so the price looks great. Too bad I don't need another set just yet.

Those look like they could be really good wires. I bought a similar type of magnetic suppression wires around1980 and they work fine today. They were made by a little known company at the time called MSD (It standed for "magnetic suppression discharge" at the time). If you want a big spark at high rpm, these are the type to get. Compared to the stock resistive suppression wires, these have a much lower impedance - a few hundred ohms versus thousands resulting in a bigger spark with much faster rise times. They will also last much longer than the resistor wires whose resistance goes up over time until the car will barely run. I've used that type of wire with the standard 74 X ignition as well as with several capacitive discharge units with excellent results. I paid about $10 for mine over 40 years ago so the price looks great. Too bad I don't need another set just yet.
I installed my set a few weeks ago. Much thicker than the aftermarket set I bought years ago & the lengths were perfect. Old set was way too long. Appear to be well made. I would recommend to anyone who needs to replace their wires.

I have a set in each of my X’s. Now if there was a proper set for my 850 and early 124 :)

I’m interested in a set of bright red ones for my ‘83. What PayPal account do we send payment to? I saw your post above, but didn’t see how we purchase and specify color.

Hi Brian. For a few reasons I dont list my Paypal address openly on the forum. I've been told that "bot" robots troll the internet looking for valid Paypal and email addresses. When they find one...you get bombarded with spam and scams. Also, I am afraid of someone finding my post a couple of years later and just sends Paypal to me for an item I dont have in stock, That would be awkward....

I really only sell stuff I need myself that would not be practical to have only one made, And to help out fellow Xheads on this forum. And i'm fearful of all the scammers out there.

If you need anything I sell:

just simply please send me a PM through this forum. You can do that by clicking on my profile, and then click on "start a conversation". Request what you are looking for, and I will respond quickly to you with my Paypal address and a total with shipping. You will then see a red notification notice beside the envelope symbol in the upper right of the main screen of this forum. Click on that.

If...you cant figure out how to send me a PM.....you could just respond on one of my forum posts and ask me to contact you.

Yes, I agree. My wires are I think a similar technology. They were made from the finest wire type my manufacturer could supply. They have like 50 years of experience making wire sets, and we chose the very best components for this application. Funny but strange story.....on the most recent batch they made for me.....there was a substantial price increase...due they said to a shortage and thus cost increase...of silicone. I thought silicone was made from silica...the most abundant element on planet earth. i'm blaming the Kardashians :rolleyes:

And just as a teaser for you folks.....here is a sneak pic of my next offering. Just what you all have been screaming for. Stay tuned...

20230127_203236.jpg

Silica does not equal silicone…

One is simple compound, silica (silicon) dioxide commonly referred to as ‘sand’ and is right up there on common materials list.

Versus silicone which is a chemical polymer and one you can definitely blame the K’butts for the shortage :)

Regarding that sneak peak, in your view, how does this new lower mount compare to the ones you offered a few years ago?

Thank you.

I've bought from Doug in the past and what I bought was of the highest quality, I would never hesitate on his products and to that end I am sending you a PM for a wire set. Was thinking of replacing them and this pushed me over the edge.

Hey Karl. Why "Dammit" ??

Dont worry...the ones you got from my last batch are excellent...and have been well proven in service.......you should have zero qualms about using them !!!!
I was kidding, new part envy. Fear of missing out (FOMO).

The ones I have are great. I have only installed one, I will be installing another in the springtime.

Last edited:
PMs received. Payment received. Wire sets have been sent out. Thanks, Doug
I received my wire set yesterday. Sent the
money the 16th and they arrived the 22nd. All the way from Canada to Pennsylvania. Very nice quality set of wires. Highly recommended. Thank you Doug.

another happy customer for Doug's wires.
Put them in this morning along with new plugs, and the stumble/miss when cold is completely gone. Runs perfectly now from the get-go.
Intended to also replace the cap&rotor but the NOS set I got with the plugs off Ebay ("made in W. Germany"!) doesn't fit.
Oh well the NGK plugs cost me $17 then... Anyway, thanks much Doug!
Image8518560364969747676.jpg

Attachments

• Image2641508320167564432.jpg
    Image2641508320167564432.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 9
Back