Feeler on special purchase of ignition wire sets

rx1900

1981 X1/9
EDIT - see this thread for the newest info on these:

Hi folks. I read with much interest this thread on ignition wire sets for the X1/9:
http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/29770/

Over the years, I too have been unable to find a nice premium performance set of wires for my X1/9s. It seems - like everyone else has found - all the available sets fit quite poorly and/or have quality issues.

I too have been frustrated enough to consider making my own set. But this is not too feasible given the hassle of finding all the correct components and required special tools.

This latest thread got me thinking of a better solution.......

I have a contact up here at a manufacturer of premium wire sets. They even do OE work, and have been making wire sets here in Canada since the 1980s.

I talked to them this morning - and although they usually dont do custom orders - they would be willing to make a batch for me to any specs I wanted. They would make to any exact specification I requested. Any exact length, any boot type (angled or straight). A performance silicone wire in 7mm or 8mm. They seem to have wire available in black, red, blue, or yellow.

They would be willing - for me - to tool up and make one batch. Probably 20 or so sets of the same specs to make it happen. But they would probably be able to supply the batch in mixed colours if we wanted.

Target selling price would be hopefully under $30 US

If....there is any interest out there in making this happen, please respond. And we could start working on the exact specs we want. Any input or show of interest would be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

Last edited:
I made my own from a ACCEL kit, not really that hard to do.

The kit is for a V8, so you get lots of parts.

I'd be in, if they could do an 8mm wire with the OEM brownish-orangey color.

I still have the OEM wire set from my car, I can dig it out and post pix if need be.

Hi Dan. Yes, pics of your OE wire set would be great. Only problem is - I think I recall even those fit like crap LOL.....

But....sorry I dont think you will able to get an exact OEM orangey-brown colour in a 8mm wire from my guys. Might be more colour selection in a 7mm, but in 8mm their standard colours are red and black. The yellow and blue 8mm were specially ordered by them to fufill an OEM contract, and I would have to talk really nice to them to get them made in those colours....

Dont think we can get too picky here. I reckon we should be happy to get a good quality properly fitting set at that price. But...any input is appreciated.

I'm interested

Color is no issue to me, just fit and proper wire size.
I just wonder if it will only be adaptable to the "flat fingered" dizzy pointed to the #3 plug...

Update

Well I have been working on the ultimate spec for the wire set. I found (thanks Dom) a complete 1500 engine out of the car so it was easy to play around and see what the best configuration would be. I'm convinced that 90 degree boots at the plug end are best. I was able to determine optimum lengths for all the plug wires. Not too long and not too short. All wires will be spaced to avoid any contact with any metal parts, and will clear everything else. And look quite neat and proper.

This engine - which had been in storage for many years - still had what certainly appeared to be the original factory wires still on it. So I know what Fiat intended. My conclusions were much the same.

My one intended change from original will be regarding the coil wire. The factory coil wire - and all aftermarket sets I have seen - have the wire from the coil coming straight out the top. Where it could rub on the bottom of the engine lid. Not good in my opinion - it shouldn't be near any metal components. So I will try to have that changed to a 90 degree boot. Will make for a much tidier result and avoid any chance of the wire arcing to the engine lid or any metal component.

This set should fit any North American spec X1/9 from '79-'89 perfectly.

Although I have received almost no feedback, it would be my preference to go with a premium 8mm performance wire. My supplier has this in a great wire with no less than 7 component layers (kevlar/ferrite/monel type stainless/acrylic latex/EDPM/nylon/silicone). Boots will be silicone. Colour selection is still to be finalized.

Hopefully this week I will be going to see a 1300 X1/9. To see if any changes are needed for that. I suspect the only difference will be the need for a longer coil wire. We'll see.

I hope this project can go ahead. We are up to 10 expressions of interest. So we are halfway there. If we can get close to the the 20 we need, I will just go ahead and order a batch and hope the rest sell later on.

Sure hope it does because I have yet to find an aftermarket set that fits worth a darn......

Many thanks to those of you who have responded. If anyone has any input of what they would like to see, kindly do so.

Thanks, Doug

After putting an aftermarket set on a '77 with Ducellier dizzy and side-exit cap I can say there might also be an issue with boot thickness.

I actually had to put a touch of silicone grease on two of the plug boots to get them to slide across the coil wire boot.

Thanks for the input Steven. Yes, this is certainly something that could be an issue. The outlets on the side exit cap are quite close together. I noticed this also on the Bosch cap (for the '79 up cars) I have here. Yes, if the boot was too thick (or had a lip on it) this could be an issue. I will be sure to bring this to the attention of my supplier and hope they have an appropriate boot.

I have not yet checked out the cap for the Ducellier distributor. I hope to soon. I think ( ? ) that all North American spec X1/9s from '74-'78 used the same Ducellier side exit cap ?? Can you - or anyone - confirm this ? I also think ( ? ) that all the '74-'78 NA X1/9s had the coil located in a different spot - on the firewall over above the bell housing ? And thus probably need a longer coil wire ? And that all '74-'78 should take the same wire set ? Any input to the above would be appreciated.

Although....I wonder if I should bother. There has yet to be a single sign of interest from those with '74-'78 Xs....

Todd - thank you for your interest. Guess it depends on your definition of "reasonable $$". I wont know for sure until my supplier gives me a quote for my spec of the sets, and it will depend on the volume ordered. But...I am hopeful - and confident - of my original $$ estimate. At least for those folks who have indicated an expression of support...

Thanks folks. Doug

Last edited:
If you haven't received any interest from '74-'78 I wouldn't bother.

Between the sideways cap having close terminals and pointing in who-knows-what direction, and alternate coil location it just adds a lot of complication.

Update

Hi folks. This project is progressing well. I have finalized the specs and ordered a batch of wire sets.

Firstly, the wire itself. I chose the best 8mm performance wire they had. A mag core type. Wire specs:

In truth, a 7mm wire (the OEM spec) would have been okay. But the 8mm is a really nice upgrade. And the largest wire that would fit into the OE cap.
Wire available in 4 colours: black, red, yellow , and blue.

The red is shown later in this post in the finished wire set. The black is - well....black.

At the cap end of the wires, I chose a brass terminal and a high temp EDPM boot. The posts on the cap are quite close together. So a boot that was too thick (or had a lip on it) would cause interference between the boots. These boots have the perfect thickness and fit snugly over the stock cap.

On the plug ends of the wires, I chose a nice stainless snap-lock terminal and a thick silicone 90 degree boot.

At the coil end of the coil wire, I chose a brass terminal and a really thick silicone boot that fit very nicely over the stock coil tower. Here - as opposed to the OE type - I changed to a 90 degree terminal. Fits way nicer and no longer can the coil wire rub the underneath of the engine lid or firewall. Much better routing.....

I then chose wire lengths to be the optimum. That is the problem with almost all available aftermarket X1/9 wire sets - all the wires are way too long. As most of you have found out. Excess wires looping everywhere. If you look at most supplier's "fitted" wire sets for the X1/9, you will find they are also listed as fitting Datsun B210s and Triumph TR3s. And NOT optimized for the X1/9. Yeah, they kinda fit, but very poorly. Certainly not to my liking...

I spent quite a bit of time choosing all the wire lengths to be optimal, for a really nice clean perfect fit.

This set fits ONLY X1/9s from '79 to '89. With a stock distributor and the proper OE type cap with side outlet terminals.

It will NOT fits the earlier 1300 X1/9s from '74 to '78. I have not tried, but I believe they require a longer coil wire because the coil is located in a different location. Because I received zero interest from folks with the earlier Xs, I did not bother to develop a set for them. Sorry...

Here is some pics of the final sample set of wires:

I had to order a minimum initial order of a batch of 20 sets to make this happen. But have only received interest here for about 12 sets. But went ahead anyways in the hopes they will all sell when you folks see how nice they turned out.

I ordered 8 x red, and 4 each of black, yellow, and blue.

With the specs I chose, cost is higher than I hoped. But i felt it was worth it for the quality of the finished product. And our Canadian $ has risen about 10% in value since I first posted.

My supplier has put a batch into their production schedule and told me I should have the batch in 2 to 3 weeks.

Pricing:

For USA : $29.50 US per set. Plus shipping air mail $9 US for 1 set. Or $14 for 2 sets. Inquire for more than 2. Payment by Paypal in US $

For Canada: $ 37 Canadian per set. Plus shipping air mail $12. Due to strange Canadian postal rates, shipping of a 2nd set will be free ! Payment by Paypal in Canadian $. Or pick-up in Mississauga at no charge. Plus applicable taxes depending on your province. Please inquire.

For International: $37 Canadian per set. Plus shipping surface mail $12 for 1 set, or $20 for 2 sets. Surface shipping from Canada is very slow - figure on 4 to 8 weeks. Inquire for air mail. Payment by Paypal in Canadian $.

BUT.....for those kind folks who have already expressed an interest previously in this thread - and made this project a reality thank you - I will knock off $ 4 US or $5 Canadian per set !!!! OR....I will give them a set of my famous X1/9 headlight screws for FREE with every set purchased. They are usually $8 US or $9 Canadian shipped.
http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/29425/

In addition, those folks will also have first choice of colours.

After those folks have decided - after seeing what is on offer - if they would like to purchase a set, the remaining wire sets will be up for grabs. If they decide to pass, no problem at all.

If anyone would like to purchase one of the remaining sets, just please post here with your choice of colour. And I will reserve one for you in order of receipt. If you would also like a set or two of the headlight screws, I can add them to your order for only $4 US or $5 Canadian per set.

Once this batch of wires is gone, I'm not sure what will happen. My supplier has not told me if I have to order another batch of 20, or if I can just order as I need them. I DO know that the yellow and blue colours are not usually available from them, but that they will supply in this batch. Red and black are their usual colours, and should be available in the future as I need them. So...if you really want yellow or blue....speak now or forever hold your peace LOL....

No Paypal address yet, as I wont take payment until wires are ready to ship. For those folks who previously expressed interest, kindly post if you are still interested - or not. Anyone else, just post if you would like a set or two, and a colour preference if it matters to you.

Thanks for reading. Thanks for your interest. Thanks for your support.

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like 2 sets if possible, one Blue and one black.

I can paypal the funds to you as soon as you tell me the told.

Ship to:

Zeltex, Inc
130 Western Maryland Parkway
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Attn: Todd

Back