Free means Expensive :)

autox19

True Classic
Getting closer on the 78 spider given to me after a friend's father passed away. He started a restore in the late 90s. Had to stop in 2001 because of health issues and never got back to it. As he started the process, I have been having "fun" with the reassembly. Was it me that misplaced a part? Was it him? Who knows. Bouncing between vendors purchasing new parts that have to /should be replaced and parts that are just plain missing. Now that it is winding down and should be on the road late spring, I also have a bunch of bolts and parts left over. Huh... also quite a few left over wires to trace.
Either way is been a fun albeit expensive process.

Odie

Yup. My X1/9 was "free".....

Need pics, Odie!
Here is the post from when I got it in 2018. https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/project-accepted.34491/

Really started working on it on a regular basis starting last winter.
What I have done so far:
Patched the floor
New complete front suspension minus springs
New shocks
New steering arms and idler
New complete brakes (hoses, lines , calipers, pads and rotors
New wheel bearings
Complete driveshaft rebuild
New sound deadener and carpet
Modified cheap but New seat covers. ( New upholstery coming in phase 2 after it is on the road)
Newish top ( owner opened it, put it on and returned it for a different color)
New front bow
New dash cap
Made custom oak wood panels for the dash
New coolant hoses
New water pump
New crank seals and gaskets for the part that holds the seals
New 2.25 exhaust. Header, mid pipe, muffler
New 15 inch wheels (tires hopefully soon)
New 32/36 carb

Not all is installed yet. But pretty close.

Odie

Odie, that looks like my normal resurrection list for spiders I have towed home that I paid money for so you are way ahead. That trailer looks like you could haul Abrams tanks on it.

Getting real close. Ready to try to start it and troubleshoot the next issue! Also have to get a new tonneau cover as the current one shrunk. Tried to crank it and have spark compression and fuel so dizzy is probably off a little. Will have to wait for my mechanic friend for the second set of hands.
20230611_142144.jpg

Odie

A step closer!!! Have to figure out why the tach isn't working. Same with the temperature guage. Oil leak around the adapter for the oil guage. And the one that has been haunting me. Brakes. Still non existant. 2 new masters. New booster, new lines hard and soft and new calipers. Pedal still goes to floor with pumping. Tried gravity bleed, person pumping bleed, vacuum bleed and pressure bleed. Running out of ideas. But it runs!!!! Last on the road in 1998!

Odie

First actual drive today
OK. It was about 1.5 miles. But got the list to work on next. Speedo isn't working. With as much dashboard stuff I worked on guessing it isn't connected there. Top steering column isn't lined up rubs against steering wheel and turns on the wipers when turning right. Steering box needs a little tightening. When tight turning left at 12 o'clock, it's about 12:05 when it engages turning right. Dang screw rings around the wipers knob came off. (Hate those) gas guage reads 3/4 full when full. Not as worried about that. Ordered progressive springs to lower it a bit but that is a job for later. Also warmed it up enough to validate the fan works and cools it down to the point it shuts off.
Love the cruising vessel. My wife calls it pumpkin. All the spellings for personalized plates were taken. So I got her one that says PEAPAG. And a plate frame that says "it's a Gaelic thing" as she is Scottish and learning Gaelic.

Now how to drive the X and the spider to cars and coffee as she is not a fan of car gatherings.

Odie

Now how to drive the X and the spider to cars and coffee as she is not a fan of car gatherings.
You will get a great work out. Drive the X 50 yards down the road, run back and get in the Spider. Drive it 50 yards past the X. Then get out of the Spider and run back to the X. Repeat until you get to the CnC. You might want to leave a day early. :)

Figure out an incentive for your wife to drive one of the cars to the CNC. Maybe a new pair of shoes waiting for her at the car show? Of course that doesn't ensure she will stay around to drive it back home. But it might be better than walking in new shoes. :p

How far is C&C? Have her drive one, take her home, pick her back up to retrieve after.
Is there anything near C&C she'd be interested in?
Any friends nearby to drive one?

How far is C&C? Have her drive one, take her home, pick her back up to retrieve after.
Is there anything near C&C she'd be interested in?
Any friends nearby to drive one?
She has interest in the fresh air of the convertible. Not so much car culture. Unfortunately i don't know if I would leave my car there by itself. I have 3 kinds of friends. 1. Will be at c&c with thier own cars. 2. Ones that live too far away, 3. Ones that can't drive a stick lol

I will just have to split out the remaining ones alternating. :)

Odie

I do not include my wife in Fiat activities, she thinks cars are appliances and any money I spend on my Fiats would be better spent on grandchildren.

My wife supports my car habit (9) but drew the line at a tractor. Didn’t think a 1/2 acre was enough and knows she can’t ride along.

My wife supports my car habit (9) but drew the line at a tractor. Didn’t think a 1/2 acre was enough and knows she can’t ride along.
we have a touch under 2 acres. I was balking on a zero turn as my 1971 john deere 110 with a harbor freight repower, was running fine. well. not really. something went wrong pretty much every time I mowed, usually having me have to make a new part as the parts are no longer available. when I told her I was looking at a bad boy zero turn she told me I better buy it as she is tired of hearing my bitch every time I mowed.. I didnt even realize it was that bad. mower was here the next day and I am on my 4th mowing with no issues and it goes around the small orchard so much easier!

Odie

Back