Front trunk strut kits..

I was gauging the offset from the photo's Aaron provided... if they are too deep, I can cut & re-pin them to the base plate.

Do you have measurements for bracket placement to get the proper over-center rise effect? Otherwise, I'l just gauge location based on the photos...

EDIT: Did you also modify the hinge stop to allow for greater lift/wider opening?

Some of the brackets have ball studs with extra long shafts, which won't work in the tight space available. This is the problem I ran into with some brackets. I hope yours will work however!

Basically...

You mount the lid hing part first, then the chassis part. I put a little compression on them to make sure they're pushing all the way.

Hinge mod

Simple; remove the plastic trim on the inside of the hinge and trim it to allow more travel, this makes stowing the top much easier for tall folks like me.

when you put

the front hood down dos it stay down until you can pull the lock down handle fully closed from inside?

Once you drop below the pivot point, the strut cannot exert lift pressure, so it should have no impact on latching the trunk.

I started to make a rear trunk strut but

I have a fiberglass rear wing and that adds extra weight so the gas strut I was using wasn't strong enough to hold It up .It was given to my for free.What I notest after having it fully installed is when the trunk lid was closed the strut protrudes into the trunk space and I didn't like that so just put it back to stock. which holds it up just fine unless a good wind blows.

I see this mod as one of those "how did I get by before I had this?" kind of thing like cell phones and PCs ;)

I have the HW ordered and have added to my to-do list.

Thanks guys!

Parts arrived...

..so, I gave the brackets a quick spritz, and tomorrow I'll set about the install, weather permitting.

IMG_6763.jpg

lots of pics...

test mounted the brackets...

X19-1208.jpg

they stick out more than I care for - as Gregory mentioned they might..

X19-1209.jpg

lowest point where the struts hold

X19-1217.jpg

but.... I don't like the offset with the deep shoulder - it sticks out too far & I think it'll make it more awkward to fit the targa top..
so...
removed the ball studs & cut down the shoulders

X19_1219.jpg

ground down a new locating shoulder/pin, braised in place

X19_1220.jpg

looks better

X19_1221.jpg

repaint

X19-1222.jpg

refit

X19_1226.jpg

much better

X19trunkStruts0017.jpg
X19-1224.jpg

all cleaned up

X19-1227.jpg

I think they should be slightly higher on the hinges for more lift - I may end up drilling one new hole in each set to move them forward & up - this is the level at which it holds..

X19-1218.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work!

The modification you made is probably best, otherwise you would likely find the pivots would strike the targa top edges. Mine have the shortest available studs and still can rub one side or the other (there is some play in the rubber receivers).

The "low holding" point isn't too critical, the important thing is they hold securely at full extension.

I used sheet metal screws on my fenders, and my kits provided M5 bolts, nuts and fender washers. Nutzerts would be even better. One day I'll reinstall mine.

Nice job! :nod: And jeesh, fast shipping!

Looks great!

Mine does occasionally rub the top when I have it in (pulling hood up) but I think that is more because I am missing parts of the rubber stands for the top. Top shifts when driving.

I'm so used to the struts now that I was helping someone put their top in and just let go of the hood to fit the top in. They looked at me funny (happens a lot) because I was on the prop side, let go (they are still holding the hood) then went to remove top. I was like "what". They were like "prop the hood" and I was like "OH, you gotta get that fixed" :)

Darn

Looking back at the pictures on the Adventure RV site it looks like the 3-hole brackets have shorter pivots already. Of course, now it would involve $10 in shipping to get $6 in brackets. :mad:

One of your pictures make it appear that the lower bracket may not have needed cutting, the stut appears to angle inward. Is it possible only shortening the upper mounts would have done the trick?

Looking forward to mine arriving!

I don't think the three hole will work..

...at least, for the hinge location, you need the added space for the strut head to clear the hinge.

With the pins cut down, the targa fits snugly inside of them. I think it will hit the targa with the long pins. I'll take a pic tomorrow.

EDIT ; perhaps the 3 hole are spaced deep enough...

314401_silo.jpg

I bought some of this variety - I never did update the trunk as it has worked just fine, however if I add a trunk piston set it would be with these

Last edited:
I've never looked into this mod so I haven't thought this through. Nor have I gone out to look at the frunk to see if it could even be done. So this is just food for thought.

Might it be possible to mount the struts onto the hood reinforcement framework instead of the hinges, and to the upper fenderwell body work instead of below? This will move them MUCH further to the outsides, allowing MUCH better access to getting the top in and out. Something roughly along these lines:

X19-1227.jpg

I've never looked into this mod so I haven't thought this through. Nor have I gone out to look at the frunk to see if it could even be done. So this is just food for thought.

Might it be possible to mount the struts onto the hood reinforcement framework instead of the hinges, and to the upper fenderwell body work instead of below? This will move them MUCH further to the outsides, allowing MUCH better access to getting the top in and out. Something roughly along these lines:

View attachment 56441

Not really. That area of the hood would conflict with the access covers/raised seal, and would require longer struts to make it work. It's not worth investigation, IMO. They don't interfere with targa storage as installed.

Back