Getting Ready for Some Work

Tavalin

Florida Mike (again)
Okay, just purchased two front struts, steering bearing thrust plates, dog bone engine mount, lower engine mount, the strange third engine mount, PAG 100 oil, 2 cans of r-134, and gear oil for a transmission fluid change. I am going to do this all during some time off in late July.
Then, I will need to take out the radiator to have it refurbished. Already has the replacement speedo cable so I will tackle that at the same time.
Then start procuring for the rear refurbishment.
Always something but I enjoy it. Even when I am not. You all have talked me down off the “Bring a Trailer” bing more than once.
I will start a new workshop thread when I begin. Just wanted you all to know what is about to transpire so you can mentally prepare yourselves for my rants...lol

Oh, I am going to check and replace the bushings if needed. Last time the X was in a lift everything up front looked new.

Wondering if there is anything I missed.

Oh boy, here we go again,
Mike

Okay, just purchased two front struts, steering bearing thrust plates, dog bone engine mount, lower engine mount, the strange third engine mount, PAG 100 oil, 2 cans of r-134, and gear oil for a transmission fluid change. I am going to do this all during some time off in late July.
Then, I will need to take out the radiator to have it refurbished. Already has the replacement speedo cable so I will tackle that at the same time.
Then start procuring for the rear refurbishment.
Always something but I enjoy it. Even when I am not. You all have talked me down off the “Bring a Trailer” bing more than once.
I will start a new workshop thread when I begin. Just wanted you all to know what is about to transpire so you can mentally prepare yourselves for my rants...lol

Oh, I am going to check and replace the bushings if needed. Last time the X was in a lift everything up front looked new.

Wondering if there is anything I missed.

Oh boy, here we go again,
Mike
I think I have literally changed or re&re’d every removable (bolted/screwed) part of my ‘78 and I’m still working on it! Why do we do it?? Lol!!

Getting ready... have almost all the parts. Just need the Redline MTL transaxle gear oil, two cans of r-134 and then waiting for my time off from work in July.
Going to be a busy time off... going to be done with most. Just will need to change out some suspension parts in the rear then on to the interior.
Mike
8B8BEE96-AC08-44E5-BE81-CF75410BB6CE.jpeg
A37375D2-CF42-4202-8021-3DADB244E504.jpeg
A6C6F2F1-6BFE-41EC-AB41-7A7CBF081EFD.jpeg
B27529F3-CBA1-4883-B75A-5E3D0BB3536A.jpeg

Last edited:
Florida Mike,
Where did you source your strut top isolators? I need to replace mine but the last set I purchased the rubber was too soft.

I need to replace mine but the last set I purchased the rubber was too soft.
There has been some the discussions about this, where it seemed pretty much all of the readily available mounts (replacements sold in the US) have not been lasting very long? I think the two better options are the H.D. ones that Mark P. designed (sold by a couple of the vendors) or the conversion to Ford Focus ones. I might have links to threads on each of them if you are interested.

There has been some the discussions about this, where it seemed pretty much all of the readily available mounts (replacements sold in the US) have not been lasting very long? I think the two better options are the H.D. ones that Mark P. designed (sold by a couple of the vendors) or the conversion to Ford Focus ones. I might have links to threads on each of them if you are interested.
Very interested. The mounts I bought were so soft the cones touched the towers as soon as I lowered the car and put weight on them. The durometer of the rubber was way too low.

Florida Mike,
Where did you source your strut top isolators? I need to replace mine but the last set I purchased the rubber was too soft.
Cratecruncher,
I actually got them from someone here who had an extra set. The guys here are really wonderful. Almost everything I have needed either came from Chris, MWB, Vick or the guys and gals here. I would not have gotten this far without all of them.
Also Matt at MWB gets some in from time to time. I am going to need another set for the rear when I start that project in a couple of months.
Can’t wait to start on everything I have now and learn how to cuss under my breath and in several different languages then vent my frustrations here...lol
Mike

Back