Going for first fire

Fuel presure?

I think you are about ready to check the fuel pressure. Before starting, relieve fuel pressure in the system by unplugging the vacuum hose going to the fuel pressure regulator (remove at the manifold end) and then draw a vacuum on that line. The service manual says to draw to 20" (no harm in drawing too much vacuum), then release. A convenient spot to hook up a fuel pressure gauge is the fuel line going to the cold start injector (the blue one at the left end of the intake manifold). Undo the fuel hose from the injector (carefully, the injector housing is all plastic) and connect it to the gauge. Turn on the ignition (and in your case it seems no need to push the AFM flap). You should see 33 - 39 psi says the book.

In your photos I see regular worm-gear type hose clamps on the fuel lines. These damage the hose over time, you should replace them with the correct fuel injection hose clamps.

The way the PO wired the fuel pump (where it is on even with the AFM flap closed) is a safety hazard. You should bring that wiring back to the way the factory intended. If you don't have the wiring diagrams, you can get them from several of the vendors frequenting this forum. You could probably find them on line as well, but they are not expensive, you really want a paper copy and I think our vendors deserve that bit of support.

Great stuff. I will begin to trouble shoot fuel supply beginning with pressure test as noted above. I'll rewire and properly mount (with a bracket to the chassis) the pump (and get new hose clamps). I wonder why the pump is sounding to loud too. At last try yesterday it was getting obnoxiously loud which makes me think it might have sucked up crud? Also the gas gauge doesn't work, maybe that has something to do with the wires pictured above? or another indication of crap in the tank. Either way I feel like pulling the line off the tank and seeing what comes running out would also be a good idea. Thanks again.

Also, are you still running the old gas? If so, this may be a contributing factor as gas does indeed go bad just sitting.

My suggestion is to pull the bottom fuel lines and drain the tank, reconnect and fill with 5gal of fresh 93 octane. then pull the pump and clean the little screen (if it has one). After that, rewire the pump so that it is utilizing the factory wiring. then check actual fuel pressure. An FI car needs over 25psi to stay running, if you have a carb'd FP then you only obtain that pressure for a little bit, then it settles to 3-5psi. It wants to run as it stays running if you hit it with the starting fluid. BTW, use that stuff sparingly, it will dry out the cylinder walls. I prefer WD40. Yes, WD40.

Might be a carb fuel pump

FI pumps usually make a "wherrr" sound and the solenoid type carb pumps usually make a racket due to the back and forth of the solenoid. Fuel pressure check will answer this question.

This pump doesn't sound like other electric pumps I've used (which have all been for carb'd cars) so it is likely the correct pump although it got alot louder the last time I tried, don't know if that is a sign that it is plugged or what but I'm going to pull the line and drain the tank and clean and check the pump, then rewire, and so on, eventually I will get back to the point of pressure check. Hopefully tonight.

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

Just remember to check the simple stuff first. LOL

Loud pump

A loud F.I. pump is a dying one. Either the damage has been done or it is not getting enough fuel. Sucking air. It takes very little time running this way to damage it. The hose between the tank and the pump can get old, leak and suck air.

Looking at your pics, the extra wires are A/C stuff, don't worry about them.

The pump is nearly vertical, so don't worry about that. It is a worry that it's held in place only by the hoses. It needs its mount. It's also a worry that the pump runs with the key on, without opening the AFM flap. The dual relay in the spare tire area or the AFM switch has been fiddled with.

I would disconnect the hose between the pump and the tank at the pump end and see how much gravity flow you have there. If it's not free flowing, the other end may be clogged.

One thing you could try, if you think the pump inlet is clogged, is to wire the pump backwards, which will make the pump run backwards. Keep in mind the pump is lubed and cooled by the fuel it pumps so don't run it dry. Running the pump backwards can discharge gunk that is clogging the inlet.

Just be careful, we don't want to hear about a fire! No loose connections or fuel vapors.

Well J... It appears that...

... you just love the ADVENTURE...

I suggest if you would like to try a SYSTEMATIC approach... go to the 1.0 version and download the FI Troubleshooting Guide, print it, and READ IT cover to cover.

Your problem, BTW, is a fuel issue, and not ignition... probably from a lack of fuel pressure or clogged injectors. The FI guide will PROVE which componant is at fault so you can stop guessing...

Lastly... I alway LUBE an engine that has been sitting... usually by squirting oil down the cylinders, over the valve lifters and sometimes even priming the oil pump with a drill motor... then hand cranking the engine... before I turn it over with the starter. Consider this NEXT time...

Thanks, I'll memorize the FI guide.
I did put oil in the cylinders and crank a bit without plugs, verified oil in the crank case but that's it. I didn't manually lube or manually turn oil pump. Hopefully I got away with it, not to late either I suppose as it hasn't run yet, more than 2 seconds at a time anyway. I'm also of the mind that doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is silly so I didn't keep trying to start it; I didn't spend an hour cranking hoping some Fiat Fairy would fix it for me.
Thanks for tips. Hopefully I get some wrenching time in tonight....off to find the FI Guide.

ummmm, can't find the guide, at the "old site" (this is the only one I've ever seen but I found the archives of the old one....sorry to be so dense...back to searching for it.

Found http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/fits/

Last edited:
fuel pump

some fuel pumps are just loud I've had my car for over 12 years with a loud fuel pump and its still cranking out just fine 41 psi cold 35-38 hot. I have a in line Fuel Pressure Gauge hooked up at all times .

I should add that before disconnecting the fuel pressure gauge, you should go through the routine of relieving pressure in the system again.

I drained the tank, tested the pump off the car, remounted the pump (on a bracket of my own) tested after the on board filter, great flow there too. All gas renewed. Same deal, it fires and dies. I'll have to pick up a fuel pressure gauge and get a hand vacuum pump thingy.

I did (carefully) pull the line at the cold starter injector. Put the end in a can and turned on key, good flow there too. I suspect a "no pressure" situation? Hope to pick up a gauge and hand pressurizer today yet. I expected to have some pressure when pulling the line at the cold start injector since I had just tried to start again. There was nothing there, should there have been?
Thanks.

Fuel pressure.

Resting pressure should be around 30psi. The lack of it likely means the check valve in the pump is not sealing, pretty common, and use can remedy it. Although often a car with only this problem will start with some extended cranking (about 8 secs).

It could also be the fuel pump relay wiring mod is not running the pump when cranking, you'll need to test that.

Another possibility is the FPR is faulty, but you cannot know without putting a fuel pressure gauge on the system. It can usually be obtained at a NAPA or similar store, and you need one rated for F.I. You may need to obtain a 5/16" brass tee to plumb into the system, usually done at the line to the cold start injector. The goal is to keep the cold start injector functioning with the gauge installed.

Yep... that's it...

Sorry if I led you astray...

As you read... you'll find specs that will confirm whether a componant is good or functioning... or not.

Continued success... and congrats on getting the starter to work!

I checked the pump wiring, green/blk to positive, black to -, there is a red running through the tunnel into the relay in the passenger behind seat location. Maybe this is a PO added switched hot? I'll check wiring. Don't see a pure red going into the relay, maybe there in lies the "pump on too early issue" perhaps an attempt to artificially induce pressure and end run the real issue?

PS, no apologies on "leading me astray" (I assume you mean the fuel tank/pump?) That gas should have all gone anyway and it is, replaced with nice fresh go go juice and pump mounted "better" if still not quite "proper". I feel better having more or less verified the absence of lots of junk in there, the container I put it in had only a few little bits of debris left over.

Got kit, pressure jumps to 35 as soon as pump kicks in, drops to 0 right after pump shuts off. Not sure what that tells me.

Correction: After better connection: pressure stays up at least for a while after pump stops

Last edited:
Back