Hood Pins for Engine Cover

lookforjoe

True Classic
I'm pretty sure I saw someone post pics of their X1/9 utilizing hood pins, as typically found on muscle cars. I'm likely going to have to go that route - I don't know if I can reattach the stock latch.

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 8.46.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 8.44.03 PM.png

The problem I see is that the obvious place to put the pins is where the bump stops/height adjusters are now. The outer surface of the cover is contoured that close to the back, though, and these all use a large disc for the top cap that appears substantially wider than the slats

Any input?

index.php

Last edited:
There is a "mini" size of the first style you posted a picture of (push button). Off hand I don't recall the dimensions, but it might be small enough?

I use the second type and your solution is you only need one, where the factory latch is. I'll scrounge up some pics for you.

You caught me at a bad time as I'm swapping out motors and the engine lid is in the basement but here is what I have with the single latch.
IMG_1114[2].JPG

Found this older pic with the single pin latch on the engine cover.

IMG_2673.jpg

The pin goes through the engine cover and my FAZA snorkel. Obviously, without the snorkel, the latch plate would be on the engine cover as shown above.
IMG_2674.jpg

This is the latch mounted to the cross brace with a bracket I made up.

This is how I did mine. Let me know if you need better pics.

Attachments

• EE708F77-035F-4885-B4C5-756C925FF67E.jpeg
    EE708F77-035F-4885-B4C5-756C925FF67E.jpeg
    406.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 247FBFEB-86F2-468A-A0AA-462C7B4FF500.jpeg
    247FBFEB-86F2-468A-A0AA-462C7B4FF500.jpeg
    586.1 KB · Views: 113
You caught me at a bad time as I'm swapping out motors and the engine lid is in the basement but here is what I have with the single latch.View attachment 54479

Found this older pic with the single pin latch on the engine cover.

View attachment 54478

The pin goes through the engine cover and my FAZA snorkel. Obviously, without the snorkel, the latch plate would be on the engine cover as shown above.
View attachment 54477

This is the latch mounted to the cross brace with a bracket I made up.

Ordered a pair of good quality pins - I realized I've been staring at a setup similar to yours on the FB K-swap group photo for about a year of so 🤪

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2021.11.01-20_13_54.png

Personally I hate seeing hood pins on anything after 1969 and a hot rod or racecar at that.

The first ones you show would be worth looking into. The more they can be submerged in the design and not expressed the better.

In my work I try as hard as possible to never have a fastener visible on my products.

The pin and cotter pin are fine for a rat rod (Carl :) ) but not a car that is intended to look finished. Race cars, rat rods and a few categories of vehicles. Not appropriate for yours…

My opinion and worth exactly what you are paying for it :)

No insult intended to those who disagree or have chosen something I may not care for.

Personally I hate seeing hood pins on anything after 1969 and a hot rod or racecar at that.

The first ones you show would be worth looking into. The more they can be submerged in the design and not expressed the better.

In my work I try as hard as possible to never have a fastener visible on my products.

The pin and cotter pin are fine for a rat rod (Carl :) ) but not a car that is intended to look finished. Race cars, rat rods and a few categories of vehicles. Not appropriate for yours…

My opinion and worth exactly what you are paying for it :)

No insult intended to those who disagree or have chosen something I may not care for.
I'm with you Karl. Furthermore I don't really care much for the "latch" style ones that have become so popular (pic below). Although they are flat, they are much too large overall.
51csgqS4osL._SL1001_.jpg

I'd use the push button type. And the smaller the better.
qlatch.minilatch15-2_fc21e6d4-a25a-440a-a230-8ae49bee7edc.jpg

Or if the panel is to be removable then I'd go with Dzus fasteners.
Array.jpg

I got spares from a former x19 road race car and the engine lid was using a traditionnal pin just near the space for the regular latch. IMHO, a well done and clean job is looking right on a street car.

Last edited:
Better pics I hope

Nice! What brand were those - they look perfect.

EDIT - used Dr.Jeff's linked image & found several 1.25" offerings, which is what I assume yours are, based on the images.

I had already ordered a set of 'restomod' muscle car style pins, however I do prefer the recessed style & ordered a set in black finish w/4" pins, which works better for me than chrome. 🤪

Last edited:
No offence Kmead, that is the look I was after. If you really wanted to be trick, you would get some sort of electronic popper latch as opposed to the rusting hood pin look I go for.

I have a '78 which has those giant "Hood catch safety posts" at the leading edge of the frunk lid opening. I was seriously considering using some form of these latches in that spot. Seems made for it. The next X build (if) will be an all out "Singer" knock-off, with gas caps through the frunk lid and all. Those latches would be perfect

The next X build (if) will be an all out "Singer" knock-off, with gas caps through the frunk lid and all.
That's exactly what I'd like to do with my "Outlaw X" build, if I ever get around to it....it's just been sitting on stands for at least a year or more. :confused:

Back