Kermit's brother on BaT!

I was thinking that carb angle was the result of using a128 spec manifold. How much is the actual difference in engine tilt, X vs.128?

Hmm... I have lived under the impression that all of the single cam engines are installed at the same lean angle. I don't have any particular reason to believe that, but it also seems like something that a manufacturer would want to keep the same across different models. VW, for example, did this with the 8V engine that went into numerous different models, with engines mounted transversely and longitudinally.

There are good reasons to keep the angle the same across the lineup, but in the X1/9 the engine sits more upright than in the FWD cars. This is one reason (if not the reason) the X1/9 needs a different oil pan than other Fiats from that time.

If my memory serves me I believe the intake manifold angle on an X is 10 degrees and 15 degrees on a 128. The recent repops split the difference to be used in either application, but are slightly off when mounted on either.

If my memory serves me I believe the intake manifold angle on an X is 10 degrees and 15 degrees on a 128. The recent repops split the difference to be used in either application, but are slightly off when mounted on either.

That's a strange factoid. I wonder why they would make the engine more upright. I wonder if it has to do with the confined engine bay on the X. Access to the front of the engine is pretty poor. Maybe they angled the engine to make it a little less bad?

That's a strange factoid. I wonder why they would make the engine more upright. I wonder if it has to do with the confined engine bay on the X. Access to the front of the engine is pretty poor. Maybe they angled the engine to make it a little less bad?
This was discussed on an old 1973 "Motor" magazine (? - British it looks like). I've clipped the part they discuss the angle of the engine:

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 1.20.32 PM.png

I don't know where the "distributor moved to end of camshaft" comes from. All the SOHC engines I've seen have the dizzy on the auxiliary shaft.

This was discussed on an old 1973 "Motor" magazine (? - British it looks like). I've clipped the part they discuss the angle of the engine:

View attachment 64741

I don't know where the "distributor moved to end of camshaft" comes from. All the SOHC engines I've seen have the dizzy on the auxiliary shaft.
I think the early Euro models had the distributor mounted at the end of the camshaft.

I always thought a cam end dizzy would look cool. I don't believe they were ever on US cars.

The description says "This 1978 Fiat X1/9 is finished in green over black upholstery and is powered by a 1.5-liter SOHC inline-four paired with a five-speed manual transaxle." Looking at picture 47/64 and 52/64 I am pretty sure I see a 4-spd axle and boot set up on the passenger side.
The seller popped by the auction today to make a minor correction. It is indeed a 1500 with a 4-spd. Oh wait, one more correction, he meant a 1300 with a 4-spd.

Seller claims he is too busy racing to get those little details correct, just selling for a friend. :)

BAT finally corrected the info. Only 24 hours to go. I wonder what the reserve is?

BAT finally corrected the info. Only 24 hours to go. I wonder what the reserve is?

This X was for sale up here last year for $37K Canadian ( about $29K US )

And yeah....kinda late in the auction to make a couple of major corrections.....note the thumbnail listing still says it is a 1500/5 speed...

And surprised nobody here has commented on the VIN plate shown.......look again folks and think about it..... :rolleyes: ...bonus points to the first here who figures that out....

Well, the Omologazione field is blank on all my Xs. Matt did mention the welded in lands for a roll cage. A search on the VIN turns up nothing other sales listings for this X. All less informative than the BAT listing. Is this an old X race car? Or is the VIN plate from another vehicle? I notice the engine type number is obliterated.

And surprised nobody here has commented on the VIN plate shown.......look again folks and think about it..... :rolleyes: ...bonus points to the first here who figures that out....

Whatever it is, I don't know. I never spent much time looking at VIN plates.

This X was for sale up here last year for $37K Canadian ( about $29K US )

And yeah....kinda late in the auction to make a couple of major corrections.....note the thumbnail listing still says it is a 1500/5 speed...

Other than it looks like it’s been run over by a truck, I see shiny rivets and what may be red overspray?

What are those front calipers, not saying they are bad but can’t place where they came from.
Odd that the hoses are connected to the hard lines upside down - looks like getting it on full lock could be challenging :eek:
I don't know where the "distributor moved to end of camshaft" comes from.
Here's a euro ~'74 - IIRC the dizzy is basically the same as the Scorpion/Montecarlo S1 :)

1660258204108.png

I have Jessica Fletcher and Mannix investigating this. And if you have to ask you are not an old geezer (or you are not forced to watch old TV programs that your wife is fixated on).

Back