Let's go snorkeling

carl

True Classic
So what is the current state of availability of FAZA snorkels? I assume none are available and no one is making clones.

I would assume the Rat would accept one knocked up out if plywood...

Come on Karl, this is carl we are talking about. He doesn't use plywood, he uses man style schtuffs. Like this:

speedi-products-elbows-sm-of90e-06-64_1000.jpg
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Speedi-Products-6-in-Oval-Flat-90-Degree-Elbow-SM-OF90E-06/202907191

boots-otrb6-64_1000.jpg
https://www.homedepot.com/p/6-in-Straight-Oval-to-Round-Boot-OTRB6/100145634

That's a good, solid, ratty snorkel for less than $40US. ;)

Last edited:
That flat to oval tubing is being used for velocity stacks for the twin IDFs.
The elbow is for my trick exhaust.
Everyone knows you make Carl style snorkels out of gutter pieces.....one on each side sticking out of the rear flare vents.

It's nice to know that forum expectations of my Xs are at an all time low, easy to reach for that bar.

He doesn't use plywood, he uses man style schtuffs. Like this:
Jim, I know you guys are joking. But actually one could start with something like that as a basic framework to create a custom snorkel. Obviously you would want make it a much nicer part. But that would allow a starting structure to build around; smooth it out, form the design you want, then make a mold off it to lay fiberglass into. Or maybe it would be easier to start with foam blocks?

Andreav, I saw your fiberglass parts on your website. I wonder if a custom snorkel could be made with a opening like your roof vent scoop, sitting above the rear "Targa" bar and extends down to the engine bay. For a more modern style snorkel.
UNIVERSAL-ROOF-AIR-VENT-SCOOP-FOR-RALLY-RACE-MOTORSPORT-WRC-CAR-AERO-COOLING-AIR-INTAKE-1.jpg

Here are two of Abarth snorkel, we have complete body kit but it is very bad condition and it is waiting someone localy who is interested to fit on car and repair all things and then we can copy all.

Attachments

• IMG-0d90f6406ae78a04715ffd3d377d4370-V.jpg
    IMG-0d90f6406ae78a04715ffd3d377d4370-V.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG-e883c9d61b527718b626b1558f9271e6-V.jpg
    IMG-e883c9d61b527718b626b1558f9271e6-V.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 114
Andreav, I saw your fiberglass parts on your website. I wonder if a custom snorkel could be made with a opening like your roof vent scoop, sitting above the rear "Targa" bar and extends down to the engine bay. For a more modern style snorkel.
View attachment 20658
Anything can be made, but for all custom cars is best to have car on which can be made prototype part, then it is making mold ( for this type of parts it is multi-part mold ) and parts can be made then.

I wonder if there would be any interest in a "modern" or otherwise different version (from the same old FAZA/Abarth) style of snorkel? Anyone?

The one thing about 3D printing is getting a good surface finish. The've come a long way, but it usually requires the entire surface to be "body-worked" and refinished to get a good appearance. However it would be a great way to get the desired structure and design.

The one thing about 3D printing is getting a good surface finish. The've come a long way, but it usually requires the entire surface to be "body-worked" and refinished to get a good appearance. However it would be a great way to get the desired structure and design.

That is precisely what we do for finished models. We have a large low resolution printer that can print an object a meter on a side ie a cubic meter of print area. We use these prints to offer the overall size and envelope of the part and a modelmaker sands, fills and finishes the model.

We also have units that are smaller and high resolution that require little beyond a cursory sanding before paint.

That flat to oval tubing is being used for velocity stacks for the twin IDFs.
The elbow is for my trick exhaust.
Everyone knows you make Carl style snorkels out of gutter pieces.....one on each side sticking out of the rear flare vents.

It's nice to know that forum expectations of my Xs are at an all time low, easy to reach for that bar.

It is only because we love you and all the excellent qualities you have. You are pretty dang impressive fyi

If you can make a mold off one I know Mikemo has one in his garage.

That is absolutely possible... In fact, you could probably take the existing one and have it scanned at a local 3D printing shop. Once they scan it members could order one through Amazon, Exone or any number of other printing services...

Ed

So what is the current state of availability of FAZA snorkels? I assume none are available and no one is making clones.
It seems that there are more than one style of snorkel. I've got one that has a different base than the ones pictured above. It's very heavy and does have FAZA cast in.

That blue X has the same flares as my X so it's kind of cool to see the combo. I'm not sure the snorkel works on a stock bodied X but a flared X or at least one with attitude makes the snorkel a natural. The big problem is having enough guts to drive around with that snorkel on your car.

Back