Lowering a fiat 128

Here, I thought lowering a 128 was easy. You guys make it sound so complicated!
Not complicated at all with coil-overs in front and rear. But having it low with original springs and struts is a different story. At least if you'd like to improve performance or even keep the car road worthy.

And lastly on the inside of the mounting points at the bottom its like 2 layers of metal you will need to grindt out 1 side as you can see to fit the original bracket from the brake assembly
This can al be done super simple and easy in a few hours of work with just a grinder and a drill

I myself am gonna weld a plate over the upperhole so i can make a slot right beneath the upperhole so that i can adjust my camber this definitly does NOT need to be done i just like having that option as the original shock also does not have that option
This method of modification doesn't seem a little less than 100% satisfactory to anyone else in the group?

the fact that the reinforcing doubler has been removed, to get clearance to slot the 128 upright into the strut?
I wonder how "well" the upright fits into the strut brackets, i.e. is it a snug fit?

Speedbumps aside, having a 128 that low is definitely angling for "form over function" ... what's the point if you can't turn the steering wheel without the tyres rubbing against everything? You're certainly not going to "improve" how the car steers / rides / handles the way you're currently heading... riding on the bump stops wont be a comfortable ride that's for sure...just my 2 cents.

cheap coilovers for just 200 euro that don't "work" is 200 euros wasted IMO

SteveC

This method of modification doesn't seem a little less than 100% satisfactory to anyone else in the group?

the fact that the reinforcing doubler has been removed, to get clearance to slot the 128 upright into the strut?
I wonder how "well" the upright fits into the strut brackets, i.e. is it a snug fit?

Speedbumps aside, having a 128 that low is definitely angling for "form over function" ... what's the point if you can't turn the steering wheel without the tyres rubbing against everything? You're certainly not going to "improve" how the car steers / rides / handles the way you're currently heading... riding on the bump stops wont be a comfortable ride that's for sure...just my 2 cents.

SteveC
No im not gonna have it that low for daily driving i was just playing around with the suspension to see how low i COULD go with that setup and it was way lower than that i was almost touching the ground with the lowest option but i have it lowerd now so the fender is 2.5 cm above the Tire and it does not scrape or rub anywhere also the reinforcing doubler wich i cut away i have welder that back onto the outside so no need to stress about that

SteveC
The topside also sits really good in the original rubber part if you just use the mk1 golf/rabbit tophat and you drill the 128 mounting pice from above out so it is now flatsided but round and than its really good

Quote: "The topside also sits really good in the original rubber part if you just use the mk1 golf/rabbit tophat and you drill the 128 mounting pice from above out so it is now flatsided but round and than its really good"
I'm not sure what you mean by this, do you have pictures?

Quote: "The topside also sits really good in the original rubber part if you just use the mk1 golf/rabbit tophat and you drill the 128 mounting pice from above out so it is now flatsided but round and than its really good"
I'm not sure what you mean by this, do you have pictures?
I will make a picture for ya

I am not at all happy with the shortening of the front coil springs on my 128 SL so I am giving up. I want the suspension fully adjustable. I've found a kit to rebuild standard struts to adjustable coilovers that looks promising, and not very expensive as well. The selling company offers a wide range of tubes, springs, topplates etc. Any thoughts?
Unfortunately the web page is in Swedish but most web browsers can translate it.

I am not at all happy with the shortening of the front coil springs on my 128 SL so I am giving up. I want the suspension fully adjustable. I've found a kit to rebuild standard struts to adjustable coilovers that looks promising, and not very expensive as well. The selling company offers a wide range of tubes, springs, topplates etc. Any thoughts?
Unfortunately the web page is in Swedish but most web browsers can translate it.
Find a set of rear X springs. Put these on the front of the 128. Presto, lowered springs with none of the concerns. Just another option for you

Yes....what you propose is very do-able.

I have done the same thing on X1/9 front struts. Quite easy.

This is way back when I did mine:

Sadly most of the pics are now gone...but scroll to the later pages and a bunch of pics have survived.

On a 128SL....just ignore all my mods to raise the lower knuckle. You cant do that as your driveshaft is in the way. So just use your stock tubes and cut off the existing lower spring perch. I think on a 128SL back then the strut was not sealed. You can either rebuild the guts with new seals - or try to find some better strut inserts. Konis and such were available back in the day. Poke around the web and sometimes you can get lucky and still find some.

Either way......be aware that even converting them to coilovers will still restrict you to the stock suspension travel. So..if you lower the ride height from stock too much....you will be left with very little suspension travel !!

If...you require more compression travel...AND if fender clearance allows that...I think you can - maybe and that is a big maybe - use early 1300 X1/9 rear struts...but proceed with caution there...

But yes....you can easily convert your struts into coilovers. Using bits like you link to. Sorry my Swedish is not too good so cant recommend the particular parts from that site. But...you basically need only a pair of those threaded tubes ( like the black ones shown ) and the matching lower spin on spring perch and jamb nut. The trick will be finding those sleeves with the proper dimensions for you.

Basically, measure the OD of your strut tubes, and try to find some of those threaded tubes with an ID just a hair bigger. That might be tricky as most struts from other cars - like Volvos - have a much bigger strut tube than your Fiat. Ideally you want a nice snug fit...so you dont need to make spacer tubes....and more importantly so you can use the top of that welded on stock knuckle as a perch for the threaded tube to sit on. Understand ? Look at the pics of my completed coilovers and you will see what I mean.

you will need threaded tubes about 5" long. And matching spin-on lower perch and jamb nut. These will be sized to accept standard racing springs that are available in a chosen diameter, rate, and length. Over here 2 1/2" ID springs are common and pretty cheap. I would think a 10" long spring would be about right.

I found it best to just modify the stock Fiat upper spring perch to accept the chosen diameter spring. Easy to do, and that way you can then use the stock pivot bearings and cones and upper mount. So you wont want the racing type upper spring perch.

The trick will be to find the threaded tubes with the right ID. Perhaps that Swedish site gives you dimensions. Or poke around Ebay where there are lots of cheap chinese "coilover kits". Sadly...most of them dont give you dimensions.....

I used parts from Bicknell Racing over here:

Real nice quality.....and decent prices...but perhaps not too feasible for you in Sweden....

Any questions....just ask. Doug

Last edited:
Find a set of rear X springs. Put these on the front of the 128. Presto, lowered springs with none of the concerns. Just another option for you
X1/9 rear springs doesn't differ much from 128 front springs. If I could find helper springs that fit may help carry the shortened spring coils better when stretched out. But overall I think the shortening messed it up.
I have an old incomplete coilover kit for X1/9 as well. They are not fully adjustable for height. I can use the rear CO's, but need to fill them with oil, buy springs, top plates and eventually also helper springs to have them working. That would actually cost me more than rebuilding the struts.
IMG_20220914_144703.jpg

X1/9 rear springs doesn't differ much from 128 front springs. If I could find helper springs that fit may help carry the shortened spring coils better when stretched out. But overall I think the shortening messed it up.
I have an old incomplete coilover kit for X1/9 as well. They are not fully adjustable for height. I can use the rear CO's, but need to fill them with oil, buy springs, top plates and eventually also helper springs to have them working. That would actually cost me more than rebuilding the struts.
View attachment 71648
Have you thought to do it like i did? With some vw golf/rabbit mk1 adjustable coilovers for the front?
I have posted a lot about that on this forum so you could take a look as that is a fairly cheap and easy option if you can weld grind and drill yourself

Hey Bjorn, here is a kit from Argentina where they do a lot of 128 lowering and tuning.

Find a set of rear X springs. Put these on the front of the 128. Presto, lowered springs with none of the concerns.
The one concern about doing this is that it becomes very easy to bottom out the strut if/when encountering hard bumps or potholes. It's better to replace the 128 front strut/spring assemblies with '74-'78 X1/9 1300 rear strut/spring assemblies instead (but retain the 128 upper strut mounts).

Last edited:
Hey Bjorn, here is a kit from Argentina where they do a lot of 128 lowering and tuning.
Is this for the front or rear?

Back