Mia for sale? Whaaaaat????

She's a beauty alright. In reading thru the car's history, it sounds like an '86 engine was rebuilt and installed not too many miles ago. Plus with all the other tasteful mods, there's really not much more to do on this car except enjoy and maintain it.

What I really like about the black "Boxer" paint on some X1/9s is that the bumpers tend to blend in better, looking less like an afterthought. No real need for smaller bumpers on this car IMO. Also, the color combo is very compelling...makes it look like a much more expensive car.

Wow, my old car gets more action/attention nowadays that it ever did when I owned it. If I can help this car go to a X-head by answering questions or such just drop me a email/pm.

Please help this car find a good home ! :)

Hello folks. I had to end the listing early and relist because of some listing errors/changes. I seriously hate that this is my only current option, but with that said, I NEED to ensure that it goes to a good home. This car deserves the best. It has made me sick to my stomach since I listed it. I will post an ad for it in the sales section here also. Please send any questions my way. Between Chris and I, we should be able to answer anything...

Thanks,

John

* Phillies: The original engine comes with the car, but Chris had another motor built that is IN the car. I think that swap happened around 115K? Not sure on that figure, but Chris Layton could answer better. The engine he had built is amazing. It pulls nice, it sounds amazing, and it is reliable as heck. When I picked the vehicle up in June, it only needed a lower engine mount, shift rod bushing, shift rod boots, and a steering rack. Those are all brand spanking new. The car doesn't need anything except maybe new tires and they actually come with the car as well (on the original wheels). :(

* Phillies: The original engine comes with the car, but Chris had another motor built that is IN the car. I think that swap happened around 115K? Not sure on that figure, but Chris Layton could answer better. The engine he had built is amazing. It pulls nice, it sounds amazing, and it is reliable as heck. When I picked the vehicle up in June, it only needed a lower engine mount, shift rod bushing, shift rod boots, and a steering rack. Those are all brand spanking new. The car doesn't need anything except maybe new tires and they actually come with the car as well (on the original wheels). :(

If Chris can chime in here, I'd be interested in knowing what was done to the engine when it was rebuilt. Compression raised? Upgraded con rods? Any head work? etc.

Here is what I have on the engine:

• [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Bosch 0280150151 Fuel Injectors 23# per hour vs 18# stock[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Blueprinted and balanced at 118K Miles using a 86 Bertone motor.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Faza 35/75 Camshaft[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Lightened flywheel[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]NOS Borgo Pistons[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Slightly shaved head (motor is not a "bender" motor)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Custom Header w/ Jet Hot coating(Clears A/C components)from Robert Rodgers at Shadetree Enginetrics in Texas.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]"Stubby" K&N Airfilter[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]New bearings, rings, and all motor components balanced.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Magnacore Wires[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Black Powder Coated Valve Cover[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]I believe the compression was a tad under 10:1. I still talk to the mechanic that did it. He retired a few years back but might remember anything that you dont see in the list that you want to know about :) He used to maintain 50 of these cars in the 80s and was a Fiat mechanic from back in the early 70s. He remebers when the X came out,has owned more X1/9s than he can count ,raced several in SCCA, and still owns a unique "beater" X he wont sell ;) He put some special "love" in this engine (the transmission was all NOS fiat parts from the 80s from his personal stash) as he knew it would likely be the last one he built.

[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Let me know if you have more questions![/FONT]

Thanks Chris! You are always a great source of information and your memory is outstanding!! The car is still on ebay for 2.5 more days, and I'm obviously open for offers. I am primarily concerned with finding a new owner who will cherish this unique and very well cared for example. I invite offers from you folks, and I would prefer to transition Mia to somebody here that will continue to provide her with the love and care that she deserves. You will NOT be disappointed...

- Sad Johnny :sad:

From ebay listings...

2nd Auction ended 11/23 at $8900, reserve not met.
Top bidder has zero feedback, which is kinda shakey.
Other bidders at $8800 (only 12 feedback...possibly legit),
and at $7400 (69 feedback, probably legit).

3rd auction ended 11/28 at $4950, reserve not met.
Interestingly, 3rd auction had $8500 buy-it-now option,
but Mr. "12 feedback" didn't jump back in,
even tho' he'd previously bid $8800...strange.

So...it appears to remain unsold, but $8500 would buy it.
Hopefully Mr. "69 feedback" will pony up another $1100!

To find the subsequent auctions,
click on link to 1st auction in 1st post,
then click on seller's other auctions,
then click on his completed auctions.
See when car is relisted by clicking on his current auctions.
Not relisted as of 12/1, but I suspect it will be.

Also, be sure to check out the BringATrailer link.
Currently at 86 comments, they are amusing.
As are most of the BAT commenters.

They had alot to say about the wrecked, rusted, roached Ferrari 330,
which was bid up to $199000, then the auction canceled by seller.
179 comments on that one...BAT folk love the roaches.
Check it out...
http://bringatrailer.com/2013/11/18/bent-but-complete-1967-ferrari-330-gtc-crash-victim/

Also worthy of amusement is a Porsche 356 Speedster.
Barely more that a pile of rust flakes and a VIN,
it drew winning bidder at $57000, and drew 251 comments on BAT.
http://bringatrailer.com/2013/11/21/the-roosevelt-1957-porsche-speedster-racer-accident-basketcase/

Last edited:
Agreed Olerascal! I haven't had the best of luck with people following through for some reason... I tried to contact the high bidder but was unsuccessful in getting a reply. I'm assuming that maybe some of these bidders are young and don't have legit funds? I've pondered requiring bidders to contact me first if they have lower than 25 or so feedbacks, but I don't do the ebay enough to know what is proper... Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I relisted Mia last night. Same buy it now of $8,500. I have also reduced the reserve again. I don't prefer to sell, but due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm forced to. I just want this car going to a proper home. I will not sell her to somebody that doesn't share our collective passion for these cars. This one is way too nice to just pass on. With the level of care, investment, and documentation this car has (thanks to Chris Layton of course!), it would be an injustice to the car to just sell to the first person who shows up with cash. I'm trying my best to do the right thing for Mia, as she totally deserves it. I still feel guilty as hell for having to put her up for sale. I am open to anyone's suggestion regarding the sale. I'd rather sell her here on the forum.

John

ebay isn't the place to sell if you're picky about the buyer! Anyone who pays is a good buyer on ebay!
I would put in the description this time around the reason for relisting, legit buyers get spooked easily. Just mention deadbeat high bidder on last listing and I would ask low feedback bidders to contact me prior to bidding or you will cancel their bid, very common practice. I tend to put some of the story in the description, make you more "real" and legit to real buyers. It's hard to recapture the energy of the first listing though. You can send a second chance offer to the next highest bidder too.

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff! I edited my posting to include a short, sad story about the reasoning for selling. Hopefully potential buyers will be more opt to considering bidding now. I appreciate your feedback... :)

I usually turn down second chance offers because

The highest bidder who "defaults" is usually someone who can't resist losing to your highest bid, often with no intention to pay.
They usually have low or zero feedback because they do it all the time and get booted by eBay.
It's one thing to lose to a legit buyer, but another to get acceptance to your highest bid because of a troll.

Also, situations change for the buyer, as he might not want to pay as much during the winter / Christmas season as he would have during the summer / fall. Not everyone is willing to sit on their investment for 5 to 6 months here in the North East.
So I can understand some who offer a price at "time A' but not so much at "time B"

Might be good to hang onto that car until late March, post it then and get a better response. (and price) :)

You're probably correct Bob, but I can't afford to wait until Spring. I need the Audi fixed now. If I can find a way to swing the repair bill on the Audi without selling Mia, then I will never ever have to sell her. That is totally my desire too, I don't want to sell her. I hate that I bought such a finicky vehicle with the Audi. But because I'm upside down in that car, I can't sell it. Besides, nobody in their right mind would pay for a car that has a blown motor. At least not what I owe on it anyway... Such a terrible position to be in. I hate it.

Out of curiosity, and feel free to not respond if I'm sticking my nose in, but which engine did your Audi shred? I have some past experience with the 1.8T in a VW (same engines are used across VW and Audi line-ups). I needed to replace the engine due to PO not using the right oil, and was quoted a ridiculous price by a repair shop. Found a quality used engine with a warranty and did the swap myself for less than $2K total.

Lot's of folks on this site can wrench, any one near you that could maybe help you save Mia by helping you wrench on the Audi?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your situation and am curious to see who Mia goes to! I wish I could fork up a couple more thousand to purchase her! Maybe after the holidays?? Not exactly sure. I'll be in contact ofcourse!

Back