Missing modern feature of the X

ah, I was reminded today commuting in the rain in our new-to-us (bought from daughter, longish story) Honda Civic....being waterproof AND a car for which I really do not care if it rusts, corrodes, or gets dinged in a parking lot is a nice modern car feature in my mind.

a car for which I really do not care if it rusts, corrodes, or gets dinged in a parking lot is a nice modern car feature in my mind
I agree. I no longer have to commute to work every day, but even for regular use running occasional errands it is nice to just jump in a comfortable, safe, reliable car that I really do not care about. No worries about rock chips, door dings, road debris, idiots crashing into me, sun rot (our equivalent to things like salt/snow/rain damage for most), theft, valdilism, windshield cracked/chipped, paint scratches, bird poop, tar, nails in tires, etc, etc....all of which frequently happen to the car I regularly use (this town really sucks). I can park in the nearest space and walk away without any concerns. And it starts/runs perfect every time I come back.

Jim, I use an app on my android phone, "Ulysse Speedo". works pretty well.

I have a speedometer app on my phone, I just got tired of messing with my phone to get it set up. Yes, I am that lazy. :) I do have to plug this GPS unit into the lighter each drive, so eventually I will wire it into an existing circuit. Maybe. ;)

I have an ancient Garmin GPS that gets free map updates so its current. I love the GPS in the X because it lets me go hands-free for both the navigation and phone calls which is a big plus in Maryland where it is instant ticket if they see you with a phone in your hand..

I have Bluetooth in my X and a four speaker sound system with some heft!

It’s really nice to be able to take and make phone calls without fidgeting with the phone. Just connect my phone via Bluetooth, spool up some Spotify playlists and I’m in style.

Oh! And a phone holder suction cup thing that enables me to have gps navigation on my phone while being able to listen to directions through the speakers.

Electric Windows, A/C and cup holder. I know we can solve for all, but that is what I miss on mine (and yes, I like to run the A/C with the top off!)

Bernice, I think the concept of this thread is more of a "what super power would you have if you could" I dont think anyone on this forum would turn down a dead stock X, even if they couldnt modify it at all.

Odie

My rear view mirror auto dimmed after about 40 years. Unfortunately, it does not auto undim.
I’m trying to pry my rear view mirror open - any idea if it’s possible? One corner seems somewhat ajar, as if it was supposed to be possible to clean condensation within?

I took mine apart. The secret is getting the plastic strip around the edge off without breaking it. You are lucky if it is only condensation. The silver coating on mine was not too good. I got a sheet of mirrored plastic, cut it to size and put it in.

I took mine apart. The secret is getting the plastic strip around the edge off without breaking it. You are lucky if it is only condensation. The silver coating on mine was not too good. I got a sheet of mirrored plastic, cut it to size and put it in.
Yup, that’s what I’m struggling with - there’s just enough loose to suck you in to thinking the rest will come loose. My best spudgers aren’t working yet...

If you are talking about the inside rear view mirror, I got mine apart. dllubin is right, the key is heating things up to make them more flexible.

I soaked mine in very hot soapy water for 5-10 minutes, then applied liquid dish soap to the small gap between the metal outer housing and the plastic glass surround, then slipped very thin, soap coated butter knives between the plastic and metal to disengage the grips that are grooved shapes pressed into the metal of the housing. The trick is to put the pressure on the plastic and not put any pressure on the glass which will of course break it. It does not take much pressure to pop it out or push it back in.

20190818_115827.jpg
20190818_120352.jpg

20190818_120110.jpg
20190818_120153.jpg
20190818_120212.jpg

20190818_120232.jpg

There are two pieces of glass in the assembly, the outer clear glass and the inner mirrored glass. The pic below is of the backside of the mirrored glass.

20190818_120245.jpg

Once the assembly is cleaned and put back together, you can push it carefully into the metal housing without the need for heat or lubricant.

Attachments

• 20190818_120209.jpg
    20190818_120209.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190818_120228.jpg
    20190818_120228.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20190818_120228.jpg
    20190818_120228.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 49
I have an ancient Garmin GPS that gets free map updates so its current. I love the GPS in the X because it lets me go hands-free for both the navigation and phone calls which is a big plus in Maryland where it is instant ticket if they see you with a phone in your hand..
Old thread reply. Any idea you still have that Garmin, and know the model #?

I have Bluetooth in my X and a four speaker sound system with some heft!

It’s really nice to be able to take and make phone calls without fidgeting with the phone. Just connect my phone via Bluetooth, spool up some Spotify playlists and I’m in style.

Oh! And a phone holder suction cup thing that enables me to have gps navigation on my phone while being able to listen to directions through the speakers.
So the suction cup has either an audio cable or Bluetooth link?

@tvmaster I actually have two of them. The smaller better one is a NUVI 275T which does the handsfree phone. The slightly bigger is the NUVI 265WT. They made a NUVI 275T with the wider screen which would be perfect..

@tvmaster I actually have two of them. The smaller better one is a NUVI 275T which does the handsfree phone. The slightly bigger is the NUVI 265WT. They made a NUVI 275T with the wider screen which would be perfect..
Did you have to pay a subscription fee to use the live traffic feature?

None, missing "modern car" features, drive a modern car. The reasons to drive an exxe is for what the exxe does best, it's driving experience, not techno features... this includes cup holders and all that which has become central marketing features of many modern cars.

Bernice

Back