New member with a 1.9 Stroker

Bernices info is spot-on...

Found this info from Bernice:

M12 Cylinder Head Studs. These are M12x1.25 threads on block end, and M12x1.75 threads on the nut end. M12x1.25 threads on both ends is not an off the shelf item. Typically, the coarse pitch end (1.75) is installed in the cast iron block and the fine thread end (1.25) gets the washer and nut or these studs are installed upside down...

These are the "upside down" ones. ARP was exceedingly helpful when I called them and told them what I was looking for. Just ring them up and they will get what you need, but of course be prepared to take some accurate measurements for them.

Pete

Thread Hijack! - Charge Coolers.

Ok, I just realized I unintentionally hijacked this thread and got us going down the path of intercoolers vs. charge coolers.

I am going to start another topic on this so we don't kill this thread. I moved all the messages regarding charge coolers to this other topic as well.

Thanks

Eric Armstrong

If your looking to get arp headbolts its the toyota ones that you want.. No need to stress, it fits all bottom ends, punto gt, x19, sporting, tipo.. They are all the same.

Bit of an update on my project.

Went out and installed a new boost controller last month, as we were testing it we noticed my temperature gauge rocket up. Pulled over there was no water in my header tank and also the car breathing really heavy. Filled the tank up and took it to a service station and carried out some tests, the water just kept boiling over.. Nursed it back to my work place and left it there over night.. Done some more tests in the morning but couldn't figure out what was going on..

So we pulled the car apart to find-----

B4VJ3qh.png

Luckily the pistons were all ok. We're still not sure to as why the block would have cracked :/ there are many possible causes obviously..

Since then I've purchased a new bottom end, rebuilt everything so it's back to square 1, cracked tested it bored it back out and installed it so its all up and running again.

Your thoughts guys.

Just one word.... detonation.

That's about the only force inside the engine that can split a block.

That's a drawback of the open deck blocks too, less support around the top of the cylinder. A closed deck block would be far more durable,but you won't be able to fit that long stroke crank in there.

Personally I think your goal and estimate of 400hp from your 1.9 sounds very realistic... there are quite a few dohc 16v 2litre engines in Delta's around the world that make 900hp plus ...

I don't what the Yanks do with their subies, but we have a few guys down under that seem to know what they are doing and regularly rate 400hp plus from the 2.0 flat four... and lots of builders in Japan who get close to 1000hp from the 2.6 dohc nissan engines (RB26dett)

SteveC

Here in america 200hp per liter is a noble goal, aslo not that difficult to attain with the right check book.

Bummer on the crack...

Are you simply going to re-sleeve the block or try something different?

Keep us updated!

Eric

I took my replacement block to 2-3 different places to have to strengthened around the bores. But only one said he will be prepared to do it but he'll want my old block to experiment on and that I could have it back by June/July.. Also he said that the block design is total utter ****. In the sense that its very difficult to reinforce.

So I've put everything back together and just taking it easy till the map on it is complete once I can take it back to my mapper.

The map was never completed and also we had quite a few troubles with the engine as the flywheel came loose twice destroying two flywheels and one crankshaft. It also sheered of and broke two or 3 crankshaft keys and destroyed a few pulleys along the way. So we made some adjustments along the way with this new engine we built.

Everything seems to be ok now I've done 1500miles in it. I think the reason it cracked was also due to det.

Just need to install my new sidemount exhaust manifold and the 2.5' exhaust system I've got laying behind my sofa :) but will probably hold out till it gets Abit warmer.

Trans Atlantic BHP

The confusion we have here is US BHP versus Imperial BHP, Imperial BHP is worth 0.5 of US BHP, so a 400 BHP fiat in the UK is the same as 200 BHP stateside. (It all goes back to the war when 'Willy Waving' Spitfire pilots claimed superiority over Mustang pilots). I think it goes something like that:doh:, I know Gallons are different. Anyways, What I want to see is a front wheel drive car with such power actually putting it to the blacktop! it would just sit there spinning, right? while the 200 (uk, remember.) BHP X1/9 is over the Horizon. At the end of the Day, Its all proven on the Quarter Mile (UK Mile that is):thumbsup:. Keep up the good work Chaps!
The Podfather.

sense of humour?

Sorry,I was only joking. Anyone with a sense of humour on here? what im getting at is anyone can claim power figures, but power is nothing without control, But It just so happens that X1/9's are very capable of achieving good on road performance with nothing near 400BHP.

Wont be needing any support i dont think. Been fine since its been rebuilt.

On that note would anyone be interested in a 1.9 stroker bottom end? Brand new fully forged :) i have been collecting parts for another one over the past few months incase mine went wrong again but shes held up and i very much doubt itll be going wrong again.

Anyone interested let me know.

Back in the day...

Hi, Looking at your images of the head, are you running with standard combustion chambers? back in the day (early 90's) when we used tipo 1.6 blocks in uno turbos we had to machine 2.5mm into the head and flow them to lower the compression ratio, otherwise 'Bang!'. Do your 'stroker kit' pistons compensate for this? Are you selling the bottom end complete? The pistons and crank would last about 5 minutes on EBay.

What ever the buyer wants. Complete bottom end will be more expensive to ship obviously :)

The answers your looking for are in the pictures, I have not hidden anything or taken a picture and then changed something before installation.. What you see is what it is.

Back