New power plant has arrived/parts search

I like the Alfa 3.0 V6 12V, from a 164 S., And the Alfa Trans. These engines can be modified for more HP with very little work. And with bolt on parts. Pluse the car still has an Italian engine. Remember these were originally designed for the Fiat V6.
Alfa's "Busso" is one of the greatest V6 engines ever made. I owned two Milanos, a 2.5 and a 3.0, and the engine really made those cars feel exotic. Probably the best sounding V6 since the four-cam Dino engine.

Only problem is parts are getting a bit tougher to find for them these days and poor timing belt wrap and questionable tensioner design can lead to failures. I was lucky with both of mine, but I made sure to change the belts/tensioner/water pump/pulleys at 5 years on the dot.

I am also considering this engine for my white 77 Scorpion. I may pull the 2.0 and transmission from this car, do some maintenance and reseal it and put it in my red car, which is desperate for some performance as it is a stock 1.8 with all the smog equipment. I am also on the Midwest Bayless list for the kit and am very interested as my understanding it is a bolt in and does not require any cutting to the body. Looks like I can pick up a JDM K24A2 for cheap with 60K miles on it and mate this with a TSX 6 speed. Hard to fault 205 reliable horsepower and a slick shifting transmission with the handling and looks of the Scorpion. My white car is already heavily modified, so I don't feel bad taking it to the next level. I was really excited about doing this to an X1/9 and basically bought the X that Carl now owns to do this swap in the future, but then got the Scorpion bug and doing this swap in a Scorpion seems like a much better way to achieve what I want to build with out having to engineer everything myself. I had also been considering an Alfa 164 V6 and 5 speed or a Honda J series V6, but those would be doing everything from scratch. If the Midwest Bayless kit is similar to the X1/9 kit and includes the crossmember to do the mounting of the K series engine and transmission, has CV axles for the Lancia hubs to Honda transmission and solves the shifter cable and mechanism problem, this is really just wiring, fuel lines, clutch, cooling system and gauges to get one of these running.

If you do a swap and need some fabrication my in-laws on the VA side of DC have experience with lots of unusual swaps, know Scorpions and run a modded Honda V6 swapped into a BMW driftcar so know that engine and K series well. Could have a modded K series ready to plop in also.

 i
Alfa's "Busso" is one of the greatest V6 engines ever made. I owned two Milanos, a 2.5 and a 3.0, and the engine really made those cars feel exotic. Probably the best sounding V6 since the four-cam Dino engine.

Only problem is parts are getting a bit tougher to find for them these days and poor timing belt wrap and questionable tensioner design can lead to failures. I was lucky with both of mine, but I made sure to change the belts/tensioner/water pump/pulleys at 5 years on the dot.
Thought about doing the same but it's nearly impossible to find these engines anymore whereas the Hondas are readily available and have immense aftermarket support for considerably less money. I also thought about the volvo t5 but the Honda just makes the most sense to me.

Mom’s Busso & Me.
976A01D9-7933-4A76-BAE6-E6DC38065EB9.jpeg

 i

Thought about doing the same but it's nearly impossible to find these engines anymore whereas the Hondas are readily available and have immense aftermarket support for considerably less money. I also thought about the volvo t5 but the Honda just makes the most sense to me.
I have a 2001 S60 T5 with manual gearbox, another brilliant engine. I think that car will be with me for a long while yet.
Mom’s Busso & Me.
Snazzy! I sold used "specialty" cars at a dealer during a break from college 20-some years ago. First car sold was a carbureted '78 Ferrari 308, next was a '57 Porsche 356A, then a '73.5 911T with the CIS injection.

We had a 164L on the lot with a 5-sp that we just couldn't get rid of. It was my lunch run car for a few months and I really enjoyed it. Still, not enough to actually buy one. Milanos were the last true Alfa.

So going down this path for a minute. I can find a 164 engine and 5 speed , so that is not the problem. I would imagine with the larger engine bay of the Scorpion, the engine fits, it would just be a matter of building/modifying the crossmember to allow for mounting the Busso V6 and transmission. So I should be able to get a CV axle vendor to make up axles to go from Lancia to Alfa, so that would not be too difficult. Shifting would be my concern, is the alfa 5 speed a cable unit? So if I got the Alfa shifter and cables, it would be a matter of reversing the direction on the transmission? The rest of the stuff is standard engine swap stuff and relatively easy to figure out. Exhaust would be complicated with the V6, but worth it for the sound, any documented builds of this swap out there?

Honestly I have been looking for a 24v busso for a while. Just waiting on one to kinda fall into my lap.

I have a 2001 S60 T5 with manual gearbox, another brilliant engine. I think that car will be with me for a long while yet.

Snazzy! I sold used "specialty" cars at a dealer during a break from college 20-some years ago. First car sold was a carbureted '78 Ferrari 308, next was a '57 Porsche 356A, then a '73.5 911T with the CIS injection.

We had a 164L on the lot with a 5-sp that we just couldn't get rid of. It was my lunch run car for a few months and I really enjoyed it. Still, not enough to actually buy one. Milanos were the last true Alfa.
Last true Alfa, Saab, Lancia…same platform different engines…

Found some info on the shifter linkage. Sounds like custom shift cables and some Euro parts to make it all work.

Cable was custom made by California Push Pull. Estimating the cable length could have been improved, they were just barely long enough. Routing was no problem. The shift box from a modern Alfa GTV ('95-'05) was turned backward. The shift shaft was reversed.

Best of luck! I looked for a fee months and never found a decent one
Not decided 100% and will be watching this thread to see how your project goes. I do think the K swap option is a clean solution with the potential for big power gains in a modern engine and transmission. I may go buy a 164 driver to just play with and evaluate if I want to do the swap.

I'll keep this thread updated as I aquire parts, currently I have a k20 oilpan coming in because it's required for the swap. I'm still looking for the right transmission and a couple other bits as well.

So I may have a line on a Busso motor and 5 speed transmission from a 164 Sport. So 200 HP and 189 ft-lbs torque, which is plenty for my needs. If this works out, I'll start my own thread, but will be watching this one closely as well. This will all go into my 77 Scorpion.
Can't wait to see how it goes!

Back