New Scorpion purchase

Some mods were necessary, according to the P.O. That built the car. He did wright an article on a How to. In the Lancia club magazine. I do have a copy and post it. If anybody would like to read it.

As I'm working through the brakes, some cosmetic parts arrived.
Here's the sneak peak
PXL_20230301_031728210.jpg

PXL_20230301_031646478.jpg

Some mods were necessary, according to the P.O. That built the car. He did wright an article on a How to. In the Lancia club magazine. I do have a copy and post it. If anybody would like to read it.
Would definitely read that. More grist for the mill.

It's been a while but the engie is now running strong. Changed a few of the sensors on the Bosch L-jet that had gone bad (and learned way more than I expected on that system) and then the last thing that was holding back the engine ended up being the exhaust cam gear was off by a tooth. I was so focused on the electronics that I hadn't thought to check that until last week.

Now it's sounding healthy.

I still need to replace the water pump. I think I'll need to pull the engine to do it; not sure if that's how it is on all scorpions or if it's because I have the 2.0 in mine. Tried to get the pulley off and there wasn't enough room between engine and frame. Maybe there is a trick?

If I do pull the engine, anything else I should tackle while I have access? Planning on replacing the worn out mounts.

Attachments

• PXL_20230803_151251765.jpg
    PXL_20230803_151251765.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 66
Have done water pump probably without even removing the engine mount. Takes a lot of rotating the pulley and jiggling. Your results may vary. Looks like they swapped the Scorpion waterpump with thicker impeller and deep dish pulley which make the job tougher than if you had the Fiat pump and pulleys.

Coolant pump used on the Scorpiacarlo (Scorpion/MonteCarlo) is different from the common Lancia beta or Fiat Spyder coolant pump. The pump should have a larger impeller, this is due to the length of the cooling system and volume of coolant.

Get the proper and correct coolant pump specific to the Scorpiacarlo..

Bernice

Coolant pump used on the Scorpiacarlo (Scorpion/MonteCarlo) is different from the common Lancia beta or Fiat Spyder coolant pump. The pump should have a larger impeller, this is due to the length of the cooling system and volume of coolant.

Get the proper and correct coolant pump specific to the Scorpiacarlo..

Bernice

Besides the impeller the inlet is different to mount the 3 way pipe fitting.

However, if doing the internal thermostat and Fiat pulleys just use a high flow Fiat pump. AutoRicambi has them for $99.99.

I have a set of MonteCarlo bumpers, if interested please contact me.

Attachments

• IMG_4402.jpeg
    IMG_4402.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4404.jpeg
    IMG_4404.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4403.jpeg
    IMG_4403.jpeg
    392.8 KB · Views: 79
I have a set of MonteCarlo bumpers, if interested please contact me.
Mike, those look great. I appreciate you reaching out. I'm not yet sure what what direction I want to go with it aesthetically. Too early for me to pull the trigger on cosmetics. Thanks for thinking of me but don't let me keep you from selling to anyone else that might be interested.

I forget what I paid for the quad Ferrari F50 taillights I used. Probably I choose to forget. Also the 360 rear bodypanel I hacked in half to see how the ends would fit.

I'm pretty bad about posting on here but the slow and steady work continues. It was on hold for a bit as I have another newborn taking up a lot of my time.

New wheels after going through the hassle of getting the Alfa wheels to work (they made me feel like I was trying to make this car look like a Ferrari). These are Maserati wheels that fit and look great
PXL_20240226_183654449.jpg

I also weighed the car, mostly out of curiosity. It was on my garage floor without leveling the scales to each other but I did flip the car around and weigh it again with basically the same results. I'd estimate a less than 5% margin of error.
Empty fuel tank and I forgot the rear hood was off.
PXL_20240221_032900293.jpg

2133lbs total, about what I expected. The surprise for me was the cross weight difference between right and left rear. 80ish lbs, I'm guessing a full tank and driver might balance these out a bit closer. Curious if it was engineered that way or if it just is what it is.

I'm pretty bad about posting on here but the slow and steady work continues. It was on hold for a bit as I have another newborn taking up a lot of my time.

New wheels after going through the hassle of getting the Alfa wheels to work (they made me feel like I was trying to make this car look like a Ferrari). These are Maserati wheels that fit and look great

I also weighed the car, mostly out of curiosity. It was on my garage floor without leveling the scales to each other but I did flip the car around and weigh it again with basically the same results. I'd estimate a less than 5% margin of error.
Empty fuel tank and I forgot the rear hood was off.

2133lbs total, about what I expected. The surprise for me was the cross weight difference between right and left rear. 80ish lbs, I'm guessing a full tank and driver might balance these out a bit closer. Curious if it was engineered that way or if it just is what it is.
Same Maserati wheels on# 209, these are aluminum alloy 6.5" wide, the single color 6" wide wheels are magnesium with less weight.

Yes, the weight balance is designed in. Numbers measured depend on condition of the springs, and US of A version (suspension "jacked up" to meet bumper height requirements & 5mph DOT bumpers) -vs- European version as the static ride heights are different.

Bernice

I also put together a video on scorpions and some of the work I've been doing.(even used a couple pics from here) Its geared more towards people who know nothing about the scorpion so its only surface level deep and nothing new for people on here. It was fun to make and will probably be more to come.

Back