Now That Many Have Shared What's Their Profession...

Other then drive my X, I enjoy "tinkering" with things mostly. examples of such, are things like Ive built a suppressor for my .22, Ive made a few 'Pulse-jet' engines, customize/modify Hot wheels type cars, make misc furniture/stools/etc by welding scrap metal, making balsa air planes, etc etc etc I also enjoy flying my electric RC helicopter, going to thrift/junk stores, shooting guns,fishing etc.. Anything really that I feel I can be amused by I'll try

Well, now the X is finished and I rebuilt a '69 mini cooperS ten years ago, my hobbies are flying, sailing on the great barrier reef around the whitsunday islands, down hill skiing with my three daughters and wife, Golf and the best game in the world..................Aussie rules, Go Dees!
Lappy:dance:

We should start the Fiat Shooting Club...... Socal chapter is ready to shoot next weekend...:dance:

I enjoy being a mother to three girls and being a wife to the only man that supports me and my whims.
My whims are playing with my Fiats, going to car shows, organizing car events and taking my cars to the track. I really enjoy racing, but it's hard to take a car to the track when Ron is out of town, so I race gokarts at the same track my 11 year old daughter races. I enjoy working in the garden and I love fishing! I also love to play golf although I'm terrible at it, and I enjoy going to the gym. I also enjoy traveling with my kids and checking out historic sites. We'll just pack Big Red, the Suburban, and take off for a few days. We learn so much together and have a great time doing it.

We should start the Fiat Shooting Club...... Socal chapter is ready to shoot next weekend...:dance:

The way thing have been going with my car it's going to be the only thing I shoot next weekend! Freaking frayed throttle cable! If its not one thing its another. I'll get there though, just a hell of a lot slower then I anticipated.

I build scale models. The current medium is paper, but have used wood extensively and of course plastic. Check this out. Yes they are paper.

http://digitalnavy.com/

And I've been a Guitarist for 40 years. Always forget to mention that.

Great topic!

I hope there might be other X heads who, like me, enjoy building scale model race cars. I just finished the Tamiya 1/12 Renault RE-20 Turbo F-1 racer from 1980. Anyone else build F-1 models?

Spare time?

Being a dad to a 10 year old boy and a father to two college age daughters. Being a husband to a woman who has litterally endured me for 30 years.

Motorcycles. Rebuilding vintage cars (3 completions in the past 3 years). Baseball. Traveling when we can. Model building (plastic). Sleeping between an F'd up work shedule and going to court on my days off. Buying too many magazines about stuff I should actually be doing and not just reading about...

Fav guitarists

Well I have actually played with both Muddy Waters and Buddy Guy so they are sentimental favorites.

I especially like John McLaughlin (Mahavishnu Orchestra days), Randy Bachman, (even his jazz cd's), Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath, and in blues Stevie Ray, Eric Clapton etc...

But The Man is and always has been Albert King.

Lots of interests and hobbies...

I'm a beekeeper, working on my journeyman certificate. I currently have two hives, lost one of two over last winter. I'm trying to do it "organic" which means if a particular hive is not hygienic enough, they will die. I usually harvest a few gallons of honey per year, sell a little but mostly it's for gifts. I have a couple of fans of my bees' honey on this forum. I never got into insects really until I dove headlong into beekeeping, they're really fascinating and I'm constantly learning. I hope bees survive, otherwise humanity has about 4 years left (according to Einstein, but I don't know if he was a beekeeper). Our food basically depends on them.

I like to make art, studied some graphics and art in school along with architecture. Now most of my creativity is absorbed into more pragmatic projects so that while they work and help us survive on our homestead, they also look good. Fencing, gates, goat barn, wood shed, bookshelves, furniture.

Here on Zanglberry Ranch we have my bees, two cats, two goats, 8 chickens for eggs (not counting the rooster) and 14 chickens we're raising for meat. Next weekend is the slaughter.

I've always been into cars, only visually until I actually got one. Then it sort of flipped and now I concentrate mostly on the mechanicals, especially things like injection and lighting. Dr. Wifey's 320i and my Vanagon keep me occupied when the Bertone is not begging attention.

Being a father to my daughter is not so much a hobby as an occupation, but one I enjoy. Always something new! Like 3rd grade. When did that happen?

Winter sports (switched to snowboarding more than 10 years ago, always been a skier) are also fun.

I hope there might be other X heads who, like me, enjoy building scale model race cars. I just finished the Tamiya 1/12 Renault RE-20 Turbo F-1 racer from 1980. Anyone else build F-1 models?

I was an absolute nut from 1990-2007 or so and built a bunch in 1/12 and a few in 1/24. Plastic to start, then I got into the resin kits when they were still "reasonably" priced:shock2:

I unfortunately sold them off to fund my bike and X over the last few years. Can't complain, no regrets. I still have a unstarted 1/12 Stratos kit sitting in my closet for a few years now waiting to see if I ever get the bug back:hmm:

I currently have a 1/75 Bluenose Schooner wood ship sitting on my desk that the wife is nagging me to finish and display (in between X1/9 work).

Why not add to the list

I am married for 28 years and have a 24 year old daughter and 19 year old son.

I spend my Spings, summers and Falls playing golf, driving Fiats, organizing Fiat events for DCFiats, going to minor league Baseball (go Hagerstown Suns) and boating on Smith Mountain Lake in central Virginia.

My wife like to call the summer vacation season. She takes a lot of vacations some of which I go to as well.:dance:

In the winter I long for summer to be back and spend my free time sitting around not doing my winter projects. I need winter hobbies or to move further south. :)

I forgot to mention my 2 dogs and 2 cats who supply me with crap that I need to shovel or scoop to help fill my winter.

Being a dad to a 10 year old boy and a father to two college age daughters. Being a husband to a woman who has litterally endured me for 30 years.

I think my hair started to grey whilst my daughter was in undergrad college... some of the boyfriends she would introduce us to were a little scary. Thankfully, she was able to recognize that herself - telling her so would not have worked, I believe!

Wow....

I suck! I find with four kids (7, 10, 10, and 14) I have no spare time to do anything except for working on the race car.

My work takes up a large piece of my life and my kids take up the rest.

One item I would like to finish is completion of the Pacific Crest Trail. My Father and I have hiked quite a bit of it, and I would like to finish the whole thing off.

Eric

THE PRICES ARE CRAZY

When I started building Tamiya 1/12 F-1 cars, in the mid-80's, they were about 30-40 dollars. The same kits, with the same tooling are now about 120 dollars. I tried 1/43 white metal kits for a while, but my eyesight is getting too poor. I just bought a 1/20 McLaren MP4/6 by Fujimi, plus a photo-etch detail kit. Can't wait to start it! I have a deep fondness for Ayrton Senna. My son's middle name is Ayrton.

Too Many "Other" Interest..

Spending time with my young adult daughter who is a Jr. in high school. One of the more memorable moments was when she got a Physics teacher that I considered a tenured fixture who was only interested in passing on his routine and not really interested in proper teaching. This resulted in a confrontation between me and the school teaching staff. I wanted this teacher moved out of teaching Physics as his methods would result in negative impression of this topic. This year, she has a good Chemistry teacher and better teachers overall.. She also does art, as a "plug" some one out there give her some art commissions..
http://www.xioshun.deviantart.com/

Me, I collect vintage scientific instrumentation that is historically significant or interesting, tinker in the machine shop making stuff for the car or etc, period correct Victorian gowns, listen to LOTs of classical and other music, pedal my 10 year old Serotta Legend Ti with 50,000+ miles on it, wine, home roasted coffee, ponder about the universe we live in, the nano world and how it all might work, tinker with the cars and etc...

So many interest, so little time.
Bernice

My stuff

Bernice, funny you mention collecting vintage scientific equipment. One of my hobbies is an offshoot of my day job. I've collected and refurbished vintage laser systems over the years. Recently, the laser celebrated its 50th anniversary. One piece in my collection is one of the original prototype CO2 lasers from Hughes (Bell Labs actually got first light on a proof of concept model). Today, the CO2 is the industrial workhorse of welding and cutting in many industries.

I'm also an amateur astronomer of sorts. About once a year, I hold a telescope building class for local homeschooling groups. We build 4" reflectors from scratch. They turn out quite nice and rival the junk you see in department stores at $100 or so. Many of the students still use the scopes. It's nice to see I ignited a scientific spark. A few also helped me assemble my 8" beast. I can resolve Jupiter quite well, and even count many of its moons.

My volunteer teaching also extends to teaching holography principles (having the lasers helps). It's been awhile since it involves a little math and chemical use and is better suited for older students. But the students are able to shoot and develop their own 3D holograms of everyday objects.

I've also held classes in electronic design. Last year, using solar cells purchased on Ebay, we constructed several 80 watt panels for home experimental use. I wonder where those ended up?

On a more personal level, I assistant coach my son's soccer team. This is as close as I get to a field these days. An ankle injury has kept me off the field, but I intend on playing again.

My children and I also enjoy model rocketry, camping, skiing, hiking and a variety of other things that just don't come to mind right now :)

And yes, I've got the X1/9 and my 124 Coupe to keep me busy on the car front. I try to get out at least once a year and autocross one of those cars.

Back