Now That Many Have Shared What's Their Profession...

Bee kill cause

Gregory,

Has any progress been made in determining the cause of the sudden die off we've been experiencing lately?

Hobbies:

Not many these days. I sort find if I focus on a few I enjoy them better than when I was a young lad with MANY hobbies:

1) Fiat and Fiat memorabilia, stuff etc. I own many books, miniature and model cars.
2) Surfing. Can't live in Pacifica, CA and not own a surf board and a wet suit
3) Playing, coaching and reffing Soccer.
4) Drawing & Painting and pretty much anything that has an artistic smell to it.

And of course my daughter Sydney comes first and I can say other than Soccer, is included in all of my hobbies at some level.

-Tim

I'm a hard core hobbyaholic.

Collecting and autocrossing unusual vehicles and the associated memorabilia, magazines, books etc.

Watch collector ...currently have approx 40

Ancient coin collector

Collect medieval artifacts and illuminated manuscripts

Accomplished musician, piano, pipe organ, clarinet, sax

Create and manufacture stone floor tiles, backsplash tiles, cultured stone for fireplaces etc.

Alternative energy junkie (have a solar powered off grid cabin that I spend 1/2 my time at) I am trained as an alternative energy technician (just as a hobby, not my work)

Paul

After reading all of everyone's other interests, I feel compelled to expand my list!
I have a small studio in the basement for writing and recording music
9 guitars, keyboards, drums, other noisemakers.
I like to cut up bicycles and make other bicycles.
Chopper012.jpg

Over the last 16 years I have trained for and completed:
3-5K races (3.1 miles)
20+ 10K's (6.2 miles)
2- 1/2 marathons (13.1 miles)
4-30K's (18.6 miles)
2- full marathons (26.2 miles)
5- sprint triathlons (1/4 mi swim, 14 mi bike, 3.1 mi run)
4- Olympic triathlons (3/4 mi swim, 28 mi bike, 6.2 mi run)
1- 1/2 Iron man triathlon (1.2 mi swim, 56 mi bike, 13.1 mi run)
Along with working 50-60 hours a week and commuting 10 hours and one HS sophomore boy and one College junior girl.
S##t, no wonder I'm always tired!

Love being a grandpa!

Father of 5 all in their 20's none are married but i do have a Grand-daughter from the oldest. Grandpa/dad 24/7 if you know what i mean.

Martial arts freak and former instructor, physical fitness freak, any S.F. sports team freak including the San Jose Sharks. I have been singing R&B music since the early 60's performing shows up until the late 90's.

Besides cars and cars are definately not an investment i invest alot of time and money into ww2 militaria collectibles more notibly the Dark army of Adolf Hitler.

Telescopes.... I wish more scientific minded folks would introduce kids into building telescopes. There was a time when this was a common activity for kids. Did you tell the kiddies about how Isac Newton figured out a curved mirror could solve the chromatic aberration problem with refractor telescopes from that time and why it solves this problem? This idea of using a mirror as the primary light collecting element is used on the Hubble telescope and has increased humanity's understanding of the universe we live in.

One of the great HEROIC fixes ever done was on the Hubble. The had to calculate with great precision what the correction mirrors must be, then make each one by grinding, polishing and finally pumping each mirror down in a vacuum equal to space, cool then to space operating temperature then using an ebeam, peeling off molecules thick layers of glass to get each mirror to the designed curvature. Then, mount each mirror on a piezo positioner and final assemble the whole works, send it up in the Shuttle, catch the Hubble, install it, set the Hubble free then calibrate it. They pulled it off and the rest is history.

I have a 36 inch, f8 Perkin Elmer aero recon lens that was slated for a telescope project.. that has yet to happen. Just one of the many un-finished project in a very long list of projects.

Speaking of optics, I have a few Kodak Aero Ektars (8" & 12", f2.5)that are slightly radioactive due to one thorium glass element use in the double Gauss design.

I also have an interesting collection of photographic optics from my days of doing 5" x7" sheet film photography.

How did you ended up with this CO2 laser? It's worth noting that when the laser was invented, the had no real idea of what to do with it. Today, lasers are used for so many things we take for granted.

My only claim to fame item are a few books on Solid State Device Physics that was owned by William Shockley who was on the Bell Labs team who invented the practical bipolar transistor.

Stuff in the collection range from Swiss made Wild microscopes to Tekronix micro channel CRT O'scopes to HP calculators and etc..

This is not a common hobby or interest.

Bernice

Bernice, funny you mention collecting vintage scientific equipment. One of my hobbies is an offshoot of my day job. I've collected and refurbished vintage laser systems over the years. Recently, the laser celebrated its 50th anniversary. One piece in my collection is one of the original prototype CO2 lasers from Hughes (Bell Labs actually got first light on a proof of concept model). Today, the CO2 is the industrial workhorse of welding and cutting in many industries.

I'm also an amateur astronomer of sorts. About once a year, I hold a telescope building class for local homeschooling groups. We build 4" reflectors from scratch. They turn out quite nice and rival the junk you see in department stores at $100 or so. Many of the students still use the scopes. It's nice to see I ignited a scientific spark. A few also helped me assemble my 8" beast. I can resolve Jupiter quite well, and even count many of its moons.

My volunteer teaching also extends to teaching holography principles (having the lasers helps). It's been awhile since it involves a little math and chemical use and is better suited for older students. But the students are able to shoot and develop their own 3D holograms of everyday objects.

I've also held classes in electronic design. Last year, using solar cells purchased on Ebay, we constructed several 80 watt panels for home experimental use. I wonder where those ended up?

On a more personal level, I assistant coach my son's soccer team. This is as close as I get to a field these days. An ankle injury has kept me off the field, but I intend on playing again.

My children and I also enjoy model rocketry, camping, skiing, hiking and a variety of other things that just don't come to mind right now :)

And yes, I've got the X1/9 and my 124 Coupe to keep me busy on the car front. I try to get out at least once a year and autocross one of those cars.

Last edited:
I got a chance to meet Sydney when Steve Hoelscher came to visit and a group of car folks met for dinner at Tanforan mall.

Yes, Sydney brought out the mom in me. We took a walk around the mall, visited the book store and shared dinner together...

Thanks for bringing Sydney..

:dance:
Bernice

And of course my daughter Sydney comes first and I can say other than Soccer, is included in all of my hobbies at some level.

-Tim

After reading all of everyone's other interests, I feel compelled to expand my list!
I like to cut up bicycles and make other bicycles.
Chopper012.jpg

Along with working 50-60 hours a week and commuting 10 hours and one HS sophomore boy and one College junior girl.
S##t, no wonder I'm always tired!

Cool!
I used to do that to bikes as a young-teen :)

hus0028-1.jpg

Hobbies...

Guess I'll chime in too....

I'm happily married and we have 3 cats. I don't really consider being a husband a "hobby" but it takes up a lot of my time (no negative meaning behind this statement at all!!!) and many others have listed it, so why not.

My biggest hobby would be fitness and working out. I like to lift, run, bike and play basketball a lot, and I follow some sports.

Otherwise I'm into amateur photography, I really enjoy music, I play a couple of instruments (just a hobbyist musician at best), reading and attempting to write once and a while, and I really enjoy cars and autocross.

Music!!!

I am a civil engineer. But I have a serious hobby, and thats music. I play the drums, have been doing that since age 15 or so. When I had to move from home to begin working I couldnt bring my drums with me (moved into a 3rd floor apartment) so I brought my guitars with me. I love everything music, its just fun.

I got a chance to meet Sydney when Steve Hoelscher came to visit and a group of car folks met for dinner at Tanforan mall.

Yes, Sydney brought out the mom in me. We took a walk around the mall, visited the book store and shared dinner together...

Thanks for bringing Sydney..

:dance:
Bernice

You made a good impression on her too Bernice and she has asked about since. Hopefully I will get to bring her on more Fiat events this year now that I will have one (Fiat) to attend in :)

Being as busy as I am...

I have no real hobbies anymore. I do how ever dabble in RC cars, and currently have an 1/8th scale nitro truggy that I'm rebuilding. I used to build military model airplanes as a kid, as well as 1/24th scale model cars. Unfortunately, they all met their demise one way or the other. I also am an avid shooter, mostly long range rifle (600yrds +) and reload all of my ammo. I also, when the kits were fairly cheap, used to rebuild AK-47's and have all of the jigs and tooling. It's really an amazing weapon. I however have not built a new rifle or shot in almost 3 years.

When Marie and I have some quiet time, we usually go to York beach for a walk. We both enjoy the ocean. As I am now laid up, I suspect I'll have plenty of time for beach walking!

apartment drums

when I moved into an apartment, I picked up a set of electronics. Simmons SDS7's (yeah that dates me) it did work for the purpose, but nothing like the real thing. I have used a few of the newer rolands and I really like the feel. I have a SPD-S that I take with me on trips currently.

Odie

Drums...

… When I had to move from home to begin working I couldnt bring my drums with me (moved into a 3rd floor apartment) so I brought my guitars with me …

when I moved into an apartment, I picked up a set of electronics. Simmons SDS7's (yeah that dates me) it did work for the purpose, but nothing like the real thing. I have used a few of the newer rolands and I really like the feel. I have a SPD-S that I take with me on trips currently…

I’ve been playing drums off and on since the fourth grade and have had similar problems over the years – I think it comes with the trade. My first apartment was out in the country and my closest neighbor was my landlord who was practically deaf. It was great - I could play drums and guitar as loud as I wanted! 2nd apartment was on a 3rd floor where I had close neighbors with good hearing to contend with so the drums got packed away. I still had neighbors banging on the ceiling from guitars though, which I thought were quiet. Then when I got married my wife and I moved into a house right away and I have the whole basement for my music stuff. …Except, my wife began suffering from migraines so I can only play when she’s not home, which isn’t very often. Of course I don’t fault her for that, just the life of a drummer seems to be constant struggle.

Family and one interest

Family first, below is a picture of my family. My wife, Patty, my daughter, Kristin, and my son Ron jr. On a boat in New York harbor, in front of Lady liberty. If any of you make your way to NYC, you must take the harbor cruise, it is very impressive. As my title suggest, besides cars I really don't have any other hobbies. Back in 1977, Star Wars was released in limited theaters that only played 70mm film. We saw the movie in NYC at 44th and Broadway at the Lowes Astor Plaza. Since then I vowed to reproduce the theater in my living room. I have finally accomplished it.
GEDC0166.jpg

5 separate youtube videos

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJSdFwvsaEM"]YouTube - Rons Home theater[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCLmvEmxJ8s"]YouTube - Rons homes theater T.V[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q0-_jjFpmU"]YouTube - Rons home theater "the who"[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudpBZWfnK8"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyKDJY6oreo"]YouTube - Rons home theater "free bird"[/ame]

Last edited:
Hobbies- where to start?!

My biggest hobby is the X. I fell in love with a 79 in high school but wasn't able to buy one until I went into the Navy. I bought a 86 with 9k miles. Wish I hadn't sold that one.

I love scuba diving, but don't do it as much as I would like. 100 feet down, just laying on the bottom looking up is quite peaceful. I try to go once a year at least.

I've spent quite a few years converting a bus into a motor home. Not finished yet, but it's quite comfy on a trip! I've driven my bus on mission trips and to bus rallys from south Florida to Erie Pennsylvania. I don't do tents very well, so this is my idea of roughing it!

I love flying RC Aircraft. My focus is ducted fan jet models and scale aircraft.

I'm an astronomy buff and have plans for a 8" Dobsonian telescope, but I haven't found the time to build it yet (go figure!)

Back