Philippine X1/9 Part 2

The completed fore engine mount.
iii.jpg
that looks like there needs to be some realignment on this one. cut it free of the tube and reweld it so that the bushing mount and the bolt are coliniar

Last edited:
Yes, it could be a bit heavy. But we will not know until it is done.

I always do my engine mount at an angle since I am doing engines. When the rubber mount bear the weight of the engine, the engine is wedged between the rubbers, preventing side to side movement. Or is there a new way of mounting an engine?

Beyond amazing!

How much would a project like that actually COST? Gotta be HUGE!

Any ambition of making an X1/9? Or Dallara?

I am very sorry for the long delay. That is about 40 days of none posting. Too much work on my wife's Rice Milling business and I am also working free for our Parish. Plus I had a two week sabatical on my birthday last August 4. Now the fun proceeds again.

Because of the tightness of the available space, this is the best I can do for the A-arms.

Drivers side:
PICT0012.jpg

Heim joint on the spindle:
PICT0011-1.jpg

Heim joint upper mounting on the tubular frame.
PICT0005-3.jpg

Front view from the passenger side.
PICT0007-1.jpg

The Coil over shocks will be mounted in-board (like a Formula 1) with rocker arms and push rod. The space is tight, so that is my only recourse.

I just finished machining some components for the suspension.

The push rod with the rocker arm
PICT0017.jpg

Close up of the rocker arm. Each side of the rocker arm has two ball bearings.
PICT0016-1.jpg

Attachment point of the hub and the push rod. I used 5/8" heim joint.
PICT0018.jpg

View of the rocker arm, squared to the push rod.
PICT0019.jpg

Another view of the assembly.
PICT0015-1.jpg

Amazing Work!

Just read through PT's I & II - really spectacular work!

Looking forward to seeing the refinement of the shell, as well as the mechanical installations...

Thank you lookforjoe!

I hope you like the car. In a week or two, after welding fully (they are just tack-welded for now) all the components in the sub-frame, the sub-frame will be mounted in the car.

We are now mocking-up the position of the in-board coilover shocks.
PICT0020.jpg

The bearing flange of the bell-crank.
PICT0021.jpg

Tentative position of the cranks.
PICT0023.jpg

Another shot of the assembly.
PICT0024.jpg

All has been tack-welded. If I find the geometry to be ok, the sub-frame will be removed and sand blasted. Then all points will be "fully-welded" and properly braced for strength.

That looks pretty cool, what shocks are using? I am considering building a subframe for my X project so it will make it easier to service.

Moretti124guy,
I got the coil-overs from ebay while I was in vacation in California.

it was $100 for the pair. It was custom built for easy adjustment.

I don't know what "make" it is, but looks like a well engineered shock.

I am adapting it in the X.

I just finished the lower mounting point of the in-board coil-over shocks. The mounting point is also adjustable for easy tuning. The travel is 3 inches fore and aft.
PICT0026.jpg

PICT0027.jpg

And we are presently setting up the 3/4 inch anti-sway bar. The bar will also be custom built.
PICT0028.jpg

PICT0030.jpg

Thanks for the detailed story, Deocon1

great job, and man - are you fast...
Never seen inboard shocka on an X, or has this been done before?
BTW Deocon, what is that engine?
I will follow your work with appreciation.

Looks like one of these

4A-GZE

The 4A-GZE (produced in various forms from 1986 through 1995) was the supercharged version. Based on the same block and head, the 4A-GZE was equipped with a roots-type supercharger and therefore the compression ratio, valve timing and ports were modified. It was used in the supercharged AW11 Toyota MR2, rated at 165 hp (124 kW) and 140 ft·lbf (190 N·m). Later versions of this engine are rated 170 hp (127 kW) and 155 ft·lbf (210 N·m) for the AE92 and AE101 Corolla.

These engines are also popular for a turbo conversion, as many parts don't need to be modified to support the extra boost.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Back