Preparing For Dallara Body Kit

Alt%20Spoiler.jpg

Alt%20spoiler%202.jpg

exactly :)

I think that edge mirrors the nose wedge nicely, have to make sure the depth of the lip matches the depth of the nose ridge

Last edited:
I can see Tony's point of view. I spent some time deciding on rocker panels for my second Dallara. Below is a link to my photo blog. In there you will find some photos of the car just out of paint. It might help you to decide. I really ought to get some photos with the doors fitted, will try and sort that tomorrow.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l68vj4q8zz4tdho/AAADjJSxRPQEW5yPTH_PUc5Ya?dl=0

Nice! You shared an earlier blog - this one is looking spectacular!

unspecified.jpg

You went even wider on the rockers - I like it. I don't see yours detracting from the 'coke bottle' curves. I think I will be fine with the narrower rocker trim.

Last edited:
Lets see, X1/9, Morris panel mini, McDonnell Douglas F4 Phantom airframe, wait what??????

There has to be a story here...

I too must concede... the rocker in THIS case appears...

to even accentuate the curve, giving it a more or less straight line as a reference against.

WELL DONE! I think this is an example that you should emulate Hussein.

Haha yes, there was all kinds of stuff in Mark's workshop! He was refurbishing that F4 front end for the owner's private museum.

Unfortunately my folders are more random collections than blogs!

Wiring harnesses came from Tasca, but they were not the correct connectors for the Chrysler/Fiat bulb sockets.

Decided to just epoxy wires into the sockets & go forward.

Dallara00333.jpg

Dallara00327.jpg

Worked some on reshaping the spoiler lip - tapered the corners to level the spoiler with the ground.

Dallara_Front_Spoiler00006.jpg

DallaraFrontSpoiler00007.jpg

Use tape to hold the shape while the plastic cools off

DallaraFrontSpoiler00005.jpg

DallaraFrontSpoiler00008.jpg

Last edited:
Got the lip bonded yesterday, and worked on the seam filling & detail today - noticed after taking this pic that there is a 'wobble' in the left fender near the tip below the ridge line - I'll need to cut that back & fill to get the ridge line crisp

Dallara_Nose00067a.jpg

Dallara_Front_Spoiler00000.jpg

Dallara_Front_Spoiler00018.jpg

spot putty after the fiber-reinforced bondo on the seam ridge

Dallara_Nose00090.jpg

mostly done

Dallara_Nose00096.jpg

detail work needed on the blending into fender/wheel arch, but good enough for now.

Dallara_Nose00097.jpg

You can see how much of an uphill rise the Dallara lip had, with the added section in place which is now evenly spaced from the ground at the forward edge and wheel arch junction

Dallara_Front_Spoiler00011.jpg

for comparison - this is what it was similar to - I couldn't live with that wobbly line around the lip

D90_28862.jpg

Wheel spacers should be here sometime towards the end of the week, then I can finalize the rear fender fitment & get those bonded. Need to work on the inner rear supports next.

DallaraWheelArches00016.jpg

Last edited:
Heavy rain today, so I just worked on the rocker panel.

widened - tack weld the added sections, then fill & blend the seams from the backside

Dallara_Rocker00000.jpg

Dallara_Rocker00000.jpg

working on the rear section, aligning with the fender crease & resolving the tie in with the rocker flat section - needs to be brought up in the center of the tape area to flow into the upward sweep of the crease. Looking at Rachel's pics, I still need to widen it further at the rear.

EDIT: Need to rework this section entirely. The rear section needs to run slightly uphill to overcome the visual impression that it is not level when viewed from the side - created by the outward flare and crease in the rear quarter panel below the duct.

forward section

Last edited:
Like it very much! Great work.

Thank you. :)

Widened it some more and raised the rear section which resolves the funky transition I was experiencing. Need to now reinforce the backside with wire mesh & finish the outside, then make the driver's side one...

DallaraRocker00000.jpg

DallaraRocker00000.jpg

DallaraRocker00000.jpg

Panel
DallaraNose00096.jpg

No panel

DallaraNose00097.jpg

Last edited:
So I really like the rocker cover over the no cover or coke bottle wasp waisted shape.

I like the linkage of the front addition to the rear addition. It gives It a hint of 935 Porsche. It grounds the form of the car, clearly referencing the ground. It also references your past treatment of the car with the rocker cover. This one is actually more subtle than your old one and serves to offer better integration to make the car more of a whole.

I think the rocker goes with the manner in which you have dealt with the front spoiler. Both details are more contemporary as compared to the way this kit was originally created.

Fixing the bottom of the leading end of the rear flare form is also a significant improvement and one I was hoping you could resolve with the rocker cover. It looks really good done this way.

On the front spoiler, the right bottom side forward of the wheel opening, looks like it has a wave in it, is that a camera issue or? The left side doesn't give that appearance.

All in all it looks really good. Great job.

Nice work...

Thank you Tim :)

So I really like the rocker cover over the no cover or coke bottle wasp waisted shape.

I like the linkage of the front addition to the rear addition. It gives It a hint of 935 Porsche. It grounds the form of the car, clearly referencing the ground. It also references your past treatment of the car with the rocker cover. This one is actually more subtle than your old one and serves to offer better integration to make the car more of a whole.

I think the rocker goes with the manner in which you have dealt with the front spoiler. Both details are more contemporary as compared to the way this kit was originally created.

Fixing the bottom of the leading end of the rear flare form is also a significant improvement and one I was hoping you could resolve with the rocker cover. It looks really good done this way.

On the front spoiler, the right bottom side forward of the wheel opening, looks like it has a wave in it, is that a camera issue or? The left side doesn't give that appearance.

All in all it looks really good. Great job.

Many thanks for the detailed feedback, Karl. It really helps in many ways - others can see and point out things I may just be looking at without seeing. It also helps to get confirmation when others do see what I am working towards. :)

I'm much happier with the rocker trim now, and I might have left it as it was if you hadn't brought up the earlier comments.

The front spoiler. There was a curl in the dallara lip (you can also see it in the crop of the black/orange stripe one I added for reference) that I tried to offset by trimming the lip accordingly. I unfortunately cut a the lip a little too evenly across the front side, so it ended up tucking into the curl somewhat. So, yes, there is a slight wave/curl in the right front lip. I'm gonna live with it. EDIT - looking again at the pic, if you mean back close to the arch tie in, that is the angle - there is an outward curve along the lower lip where it moves into the vertical arch tie in.

What actually irks me more is that the left & right fenders are not even depth - the left wheel actually protrudes approx 1/3" further out than the right. I didn't see it when fitting the fenders with the 13" wheels :(

Last edited:
question

so seeing your signature reminds me, what did you do with your old air dam? did it get destroyed in the removal? I have been thinking about one. Looked at your pics for awhile trying to decide if I am going to pull the trigger.

Odie

so seeing your signature reminds me, what did you do with your old air dam? did it get destroyed in the removal? I have been thinking about one. Looked at your pics for awhile trying to decide if I am going to pull the trigger.

Odie

Hi Odie

I cut it off on the sheet metal side of the seams to preserve it, with the intention of selling it on at some point ;) I would obviously sell it at a significant discount, after trimming all the extraneous sheet metal material.

You could PM me if you are interested in mine.

DallaraFrontSpoiler00000.jpg

X19_0261.jpg

X19_0262.jpg

Last edited:
Serpent Auto wheel spacers arrived 58.3 ID 73.1 OD, 1.5" deep.

DallaraSuspension00009.jpg

I installed them after I was done removing the head & related parts.

So, I'll get on with the rear panel work while waiting for the parts for the HG job.

Last edited:
Back