Scorpion #621 resurrection

Well, never underestimate a good hand tool. HF, thanks for confirming this method of mounting. Off to hacksaw the mount off the other belt now.

tJ

belt-mod.jpg

I finalized my seat belt trim rings and produced them in black. If you're interested in a set, I posted a thread in the FS forum. Here's how they turned out. The bumps where the supports were on the back on the rings can be easily sanded off if desired, but I didn't bother to do it because you can't see them when these are installed.

tJ

seatbelt-trim1.jpg
seatbelt-trim2.jpg

Last edited:
They do look very good indeed. Nice work.

What material and process did you did you make them from/with?

Yes, it is. The footwells are my only complaint. Not very easy to fit and they look a little untidy, but it'll do.

tJ

I got their standard carpet. I originally ordered the premium thinking it would be better, but the color was completely off...it was a royal blue. This was 3 years ago, and since I'm just putting in the carpet, it was much too late to return. So I ordered the OTHER color blue in deluxe and found that it was also too red. They graciously accommodated me and accepted a return, and I just got the standard carpet, which is a much closer color match to the original. It's not exact, but it's the right hue.

I went to Home Depot and got standard carpet backing. I ordered a couple of cans of 3M Yellow Super Trim Adhesive to lay it down. I only got 2 cans, but 3 would have been better. I didn't use it on the long floor pan pieces, but it wasn't really necessary there.

There was some cutting around the foot wells to get those to work.

tJ

Don't forget to add the black door stripes and get the one piece noseband. I'd personally go with Montecarlo headlights but quad headlights look good too.

Also consider the european turn signals on the fronts of the fenders. Easy to add and cheap to procure.

You're doing a fantastic job on this car. I love the white!

did you use any "dynamatt" sound deadening material under?

No dynamat, just standard carpet underlay. I have used Dynamat on another car in the past. It was OK, but I wasn't impressed. Then I stripped the car for track and was that stuff ever a PITA to get off the car. :/

tJ

Don't forget to add the black door stripes and get the one piece noseband. I'd personally go with Montecarlo headlights but quad headlights look good too.

Also consider the european turn signals on the fronts of the fenders. Easy to add and cheap to procure.

You're doing a fantastic job on this car. I love the white!

Thanks! I don't plan on putting on the door stripes. I think the car has better lines without those thick door stripes. I was tempted by Euro-style headlights, but I'm at the end of my budget, so we're going with the half flip-ups the car came with. Unless someone has a *really* good deal on euro lamps and nose band ? :D

Hmmm, white car looks great with the black stripe, but it's yours. :)

I think finding the noseband first would be the most important regardless of your headlight choice. Same source as your bumpers typically.

One of the forum members needed the center visor mount and I needed a right mount, so I decided to draw these up in CAD and print them as well. The angles on the rods were a pain in the butt to get right as they're at a compound angle.

visormounts2.jpg

Comparison of the factory mounts vs mine:
visormounts10.jpg

tJ

Been a couple of weeks since my last update. I got a few things done.

First, I finalized the repair of my rear parcel shelf. I had originally replaced the decomposed oil board with Coroplast, which is used for making campaign signs. That stuff sucks for cutting if you aren't doing straight lines along the corrugation. Also, it wasn't strong enough to allow the seat belt trim rings to be installed properly...they kept popping out. So, I went to Home Depot and got a sheet of really thin plywood and drew up the upper part of the parcel shelf in CAD. I saved it as a DXF file and took it to my friend's studio and laser cut the pieces. Then I pulled the Coroplast off the parcel shelf and replaced it with the wood. MUCH better!

rearshelf5.jpg

rearshelf4.jpg

rearshelf3.jpg

Rear parcel shelf installed, with seat belts and new trim rings. Also put the rear quarter plastics and lighting back in.

rearshelf2.jpg

rearshelf1.jpg

Last edited:
Next, the center console has to go back in. The problem is that the console was a mess due to the previous owner having done a half-assed repair to the heater core. I assume it leaked and he replaced the hose with one too short, which caused the right leg of the console to bow out, distort, and eventually break.

brokenconsole8.jpg

To prevent this from happening again, I replaced the hose with a longer one that could be more effectively managed behind the console. I was originally going to repair this with Coroplast, but I learned from the rear parcel shelf that it doesn't cut cleanly. Plus it was the wrong thickness, which would have made it impossible to clip the leg back onto the fascia using the factory clips. Luckily, I had visited an upholstery shop about 8 months ago and the guy gave me some oil board that he wasn't using. I stuck it away and forgot about it, thinking I wouldn't use it since it wasn't enough for my rear parcel shelf. But it was the perfect amount to fix this console!

So I carefully remove the right leg of the console, taking care not to destroy the foam padding beneath the vinyl. Here is the horribly distorted part that was broken in two:

brokenconsole2.jpg

brokenconsole1.jpg

I laid it over my new oil board and made a template. Then cut it and transferred over the clips.

brokenconsole3.jpg

Then clipped the leg back into place:

brokenconsole4.jpg

Then, using upholstery spray glue, I glued the foam on, and then the vinyl:

brokenconsole7.jpg

brokenconsole5.jpg

Then re-attached the right-hand bit:

brokenconsole6.jpg

Now I've got to remember how it all was wired up and get this back into the car.

tJ

You have to love CAD and precision cutting systems. Nice. Good Choice on the materials. You might consider coating the surfaces with polyurethane to reduce warping, particularly the side which doesn’t have vinyl on it.

Back